Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 300 rwhp recipe needed (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 300 rwhp recipe needed
Krz03sn8k
¯
Member # 4482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Krz03sn8k  Ford pictures for Krz03sn8k    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how is the e cam similar to the tfs 1 cam if the tfs is a split duration cam?

--------------------
KRZY4DS

Posts: 177 | From: Sharks Territory | Registered: May 2004  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i said they were similar not the same thing. either way it can pass smog as long as the tech doesnt take your timing cover off to look

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Krz03sn8k
¯
Member # 4482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Krz03sn8k  Ford pictures for Krz03sn8k    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
not flaming you on the issue, just clarifying that the tfs cam is very different. and i know it wont pass smog i run that cam with afr heads and already tried doing the smog where i work. it did not pass. wasnt even close. [patriot]

--------------------
KRZY4DS

Posts: 177 | From: Sharks Territory | Registered: May 2004  |  :
AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by KRZ89FOBRA:
not flaming you on the issue, just clarifying that the tfs cam is very different. and i know it wont pass smog i run that cam with afr heads and already tried doing the smog where i work. it did not pass. wasnt even close. [patriot]

Your tune is off then. I passed smog with ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS with a tfs stage 1 cam, afr 165s, and an edelbrock intake. Readings were way under the max accepted.

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 315hp crate motor will give you ~260rwhp with the AOD and probably an additional 10 with the 5 speed if you end up going that route.

--------------------
90 Notch

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

quote:
Originally posted by uh0h50:
Well after further thought and discussion with 89fakesnake, I'm NOW leaning towards a 302 crate engine from Ford Racing. Seems more practical, zero miles on a brand new block for only a lil over 3g and guarunteed to hold up for a long time as opposed to a used block with x miles on it with bolt ons. All I would have to do is buy the upper and lower intakes, distributor.. etc... But what I don't understand about purchasing the engine is why they tell you that it needs a fox body conversion kit to drop it in? How much would that kit be? Any inputs on my decisions? thanks

You need the conversion kit because foxes use a rear sump oil pan and reverse rotation water pump, which do not come on that crate motor.

--------------------
90 Notch

uh0h50
CAFords OG
Member # 3125

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for uh0h50  Ford pictures for uh0h50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
all you need is a Ed curtis custom cam and thumper stock ported heads with a Tmoss ported stock intake, you wont spend no more than 1,000.
my .02 cents.

are you serious about this? do you have any websites pertaining to this? i'm looking to pay no more than 4gs..so if i could pay only 1000 for this and help me achieve my goal of 300 horse then i'd be all over that deal..

--------------------
AP1 S2000

Posts: 2926 | From: Bay Area 510 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ported stock heads aren't going to be able to hit 300rwhp in most cases. Have you tried looking for a set of used twisted wedges? You can usually find some for like 700, just a thought

--------------------
90 Notch

uh0h50
CAFords OG
Member # 3125

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for uh0h50  Ford pictures for uh0h50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
drew.. do you think my car, being that it's at 165g miles, is considered a high mileage car? i mean it runs well, feels strong, doesn't give me any problems either.. do you think the stock motor could keep up with just a H/C/I swap?

--------------------
AP1 S2000

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

If everything looks good right now you can put the h/c/i on. I mean it doesnt burn oil right? No leaks? i would just do a leakdown and compression test and if all looks good put the heads and cam on. i would also do maintenance shit too while its apart, like a timing chain and stuff. These motors will live well past 200k if you take care of it right. I wouldnt worry about a new shortblock right now if the current motor runs strong.

--------------------
90 Notch

uh0h50
CAFords OG
Member # 3125

yeah motor's strong.. no oil leaks..no oil burning.. don't know about compression though.. when you coming back to the bay drew?

--------------------
AP1 S2000

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

I'll be back next thursday [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
90 Notch

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here's what I would do:

331 stroker 9.5:1 compression
trick flow heads, intake, and stage 1 cam
1.6 roller rockers
65mm t-body
24lb injectors (w/ matching maf)
255lpr intake fuel pump and ajustable regulator
355 gears (assuming you do the t5 swap)

You can find a good used block, buy a stroker, and, have a machine shop do the machine and assembly or you can just buy a crate motor from DSS, CHP, etc.

[ May 10, 2005, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: 92stangLX ]

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
uh0h50
CAFords OG
Member # 3125

92stanglx, that looks like a strong setup, but more than i think my budget would be.. after all that talk about buying a new block or crate engine, i've decided to stick it out with my stock engine in the car... here's a setup from a guy over at the corral that i like..
-Ported GT-40 Iron heads with 1.94/1.60 valves
-Ported Explorer intake
-Anderson B-21 cam
-65mm TB, 73mm MAF, longtubes, offroad Hpipe, 2 1/2 flowmasters
-underdrives, and that is basically it.
-Bought most of the parts used. Runs great for what it is and what little it cost to throw together. (he's at 289hp)..

i dont think the anderson cam is smog legal though.... am i rite?

--------------------
AP1 S2000

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

It doesnt really matter if the cam is technically smog legal, since no smog tech is going to tear into the motor and check. I'm pretty sure that the AFM cam will pass emissions if you have it tuned right.

--------------------
90 Notch

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Personally i would try to pick up a used set of twisted wedge heads rather than a set of ported gt40s. The price will be roughly the same, but you'll have an aluminum head with some room to grow into with the trick flows.

--------------------
90 Notch

uh0h50
CAFords OG
Member # 3125

cool ill look out for some.. what kinda cam would u suggest? intakes as well?

--------------------
AP1 S2000

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Pretty much any of the aftermarket intakes would work, edelbrock performer, tfs streetheat or trackheat, cobra, maybe a holley systemax, but thats a little on the big side. An f cam would work pretty good, so would the tfs stage 1. Also comp cams has so good grinds if you look in their catalog, but they're pretty pricey at around 275, and for 50 dollars more you might as well get a custom cam. Budget wise, you cant beat the tfs stage 1 for $130.

--------------------
90 Notch

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here is one dyno tested 300rwhp combo. Stock cam.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2003/06/afrinstall/

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

Stangs R Us
¯
Member # 4495

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangs R Us  Ford pictures for Stangs R Us    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
edelbrock package will do it, PERFORMER intake , cam , and heads, will put u there.
Posts: 3100 | From: sacramento | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
89 FAKE SNAKE
¯
Member # 4531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89 FAKE SNAKE  Ford pictures for 89 FAKE SNAKE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by red GT black rallyes:
edelbrock package will do it, PERFORMER intake , cam , and heads, will put u there.

[BS flag] ...imo....i dnt like em..tfs is alot better and get more i think.....jus my .02

--------------------
90 COUPE
01 R1 (stock)
04 XR-50(stroked)
06 TT-R50E
SRA & PWA member

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by uh0h50:
92stanglx, that looks like a strong setup, but more than i think my budget would be.. after all that talk about buying a new block or crate engine, i've decided to stick it out with my stock engine in the car... here's a setup from a guy over at the corral that i like..
-Ported GT-40 Iron heads with 1.94/1.60 valves
-Ported Explorer intake
-Anderson B-21 cam
-65mm TB, 73mm MAF, longtubes, offroad Hpipe, 2 1/2 flowmasters
-underdrives, and that is basically it.
-Bought most of the parts used. Runs great for what it is and what little it cost to throw together. (he's at 289hp)..

i dont think the anderson cam is smog legal though.... am i rite?

That sound like a good budget combo. You should be happy with it. If you don't already have gears you should put those in as well.

I don't know if the cam will pass smog or not but you will probably have trouble with the long tubes.

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
are you going to do the port work or have a used set in mind? do you know how much port work costs?

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Thats what i'm saying. For the money it costs to buy used gt40s and have them ported, you mine as well just get a used set of aluminum heads.
gt40s=350-400$ and porting=400-500$
used trick flows ~750

--------------------
90 Notch

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

oh well, we tried

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com