Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 331 cam ? (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: 331 cam ?
91 5.0 5speed
¯
Member # 1867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0 5speed  Ford pictures for 91 5.0 5speed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
Sell the Edelbrocks, buy some AFR185's.
Skip the 331 in favor of a 306 w/10 to 1 compression.
Buy an X303 if you MUST pass smog, or go custom if smog isn't an issue.
Get an edelbrock performer or RPM intake (depending on cam).
Get some 1 3/4 longtubes & an off-road H/X w/some straight-thru mufflers.
3.73's or 4.10's
70MM TB, power pipe, etc, etc
Good for mid 12's to high 11's depending on cam, driver, & raceweight.

That combo sounds familiar. Where have I heard that before [Wink] [Cool]
Don
CAFords OG
Member # 938

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don  Ford pictures for Don    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How much were you trying to get for the edel's.
I have a freind that might be interested.

Small heads and big cubes make for good truck motors. Lots of torque but no HP. Trust me my first setup was power heads on my 347s, and it made a ton of torque, but fell flat on it's face before it could make power. Now I have AFRs and would never turn back.

--------------------
06 sti 2.5
95 GT 5.2

Posts: 962 | From: Manteca, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
vpr_klr
¯
Member # 3353

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for vpr_klr  Ford pictures for vpr_klr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
.... 93pony But a 331 with Un-ported Edelbrock Performers, RPM intake, longtubes, & an X303 will have a hard time cracking 300RWHP.
Then how does a 100k mile stock 302 with a f cam, box stock GT40 x heads, box stock performer intake, short tube headers, and a catted h-pipe make 297 to the wheels??? [Confused] Saw it in an old issue of 5.0.

--------------------
Project crustang has begun
14 mustangs and counting...

vpr_klr
¯
Member # 3353

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for vpr_klr  Ford pictures for vpr_klr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
with long tubes and an offroad pipe, it would have broken that 300rwhp barrier. If you are trying to go fast, don't buy a Ford cam, go with the comp xe274, and it does pass the sniffer test. With afr185's and a ported gt-40 itnake, a 306 with a 9.5 to 1 comp. has made 375 horsepower(flywheel) with this cam, they did in MM&FF about a year and a half ago [burnout]

[ April 23, 2004, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: vpr_klr ]

--------------------
Project crustang has begun
14 mustangs and counting...

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's all good.
I've talked with Damani on a few occuasions about what he wants out of the car & how it can be accomplished.

You might try selling the heads on the corral if you don't have any luck locally. I say this because the $$$ spent on porting the Performers could easily surpass the cost of AFR185's minus the price you get for your used Performers. & even ported performers can't compete with box stock AFR185's.....unless it's a REAL pro porter & you upgrade to 2.02 valves on the intake. All of which would be quite costly.

In the end, a 331 with the right heads/cam/intake/exhaust could easily take your car into the 11's & embaress Dame's LS1. But to do it, you're gonna need the good parts (put together correctly) & not worry so much about the smog nazis.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com