Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » what is better carbd or efi (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: what is better carbd or efi
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Another vote on the side of carbs for max NA power. To the 281 guy above, have you ever seen what a 427 SOHC motor can do? No? be quiet [Razz]

EFI is fun and simple and I'd keep it if the car basically has the same function as the factory intended. But if it's NA and it's only power adder is N20, carb all the way baby.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cobraracer46:
EFI is standard on some of the fastest and most powerful mustangs to roll out of the dearborn assembly line: The 2003 Cobra and the 2000 SVT Cobra R, in addition, the fact that some some 99-01 Cobras are running in the 11 second zone with an stock little itty bitty 281 cubed motor proves that EFI is superior to carbs. Face the facts, Carburators are dead just like the 60's dinosaurs that could only go quick in a staight line. [burnout]

how does that prove that carbs are dead? thats a pretty fuckin stupid post. my carbed small block pushrod windsor makes more power n/a than an 03 cobra. if and when i switch to efi, it'll be because i want better part throttle gas mileage, and better average power throughout the power band (even though my torque curve is pretty flat from 3500 on up) not because i have a dinosaur under my hood. oh wait, i guess i dont count since my car was manufactured in san jose, and not in dearborn

[ March 15, 2004, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: Chosen1 ]

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66 AC COBRA:
on an NA motor a c arb will alway make more power

tuning will always be easier on a carb

bur for daily driving u cant beat efi, better gas mileage

if u want max performance then get a carb

but if u want to drive on the street reguarly and want a reliable vehicle, and having the $$$$ to do it, get efi

[patriot]

tuning a carb is MUCH easier than a computer

--------------------
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

FordPny
¯
Member # 510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FordPny  Ford pictures for FordPny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
EFI is standard on some of the fastest and most powerful mustangs to roll out of the dearborn assembly line: The 2003 Cobra and the 2000 SVT Cobra R, in addition, the fact that some some 99-01 Cobras are running in the 11 second zone with an stock little itty bitty 281 cubed motor proves that EFI is superior to carbs. Face the facts, Carburators are dead just like the 60's dinosaurs that could only go quick in a staight line. [burnout]

Hey does it hurt to have your head stuck that far up your ass?

[ March 15, 2004, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: FordPny ]

--------------------
Holla at yoo boooyyy

Posts: 2458 | From: San Jose CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by FordPny:
quote:

[patriot]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66 AC COBRA:
quote:
Originally posted by FordPny:
quote:

[patriot]
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......LOL

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it depends on your combo and personal preferences imo [patriot]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-:
Another vote on the side of carbs for max NA power. To the 281 guy above, have you ever seen what a 427 SOHC motor can do? No? be quiet [Razz] Ford never built those old 427 SOHC motors long enough for me to notice how they perform. [Wink] The boss 429 is a diffrent story, my favorite boss motored mustang is the one SVT engineering and Roush racing put into a 94 Mustang: a 10 liter boss mountain motor with tuned port EFI and distributorles ignition, the result of all that came out to 850 hp and 794 foot pounds of tourque with out nitrous, turbo or blower!!! Once again, the baddest on off street mustang built by ford comes with EFI!

EFI is fun and simple and I'd keep it if the car basically has the same function as the factory intended. But if it's NA and it's only power adder is N20, carb all the way baby.

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

Posts: 1172 | From: Woodside California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Once again, the baddest on off street mustang built by ford comes with EFI!

no offense intended, but please, quit digging!

no V10 is 'factory' in any mustang, period.

This motor is the high mark for Ford Factory performance, period.

put the shovel down and click here

[ March 17, 2004, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: shade- ]

--------------------

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[worship] [worship] [worship]  - [worship] [worship] [worship]

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

I've seen some stupid fucking posts in my day but by far and away does this one take the cake. Everyone that knows anything in this forum points and laughs at you. Avoid the tech talk section if this is what you plan to post [Roll Eyes] [BS flag]

I believe you are also the same person that recommended not putting a shift kit in a stock automatic tranny...For fuck sake just go buy an import [patriot]

[ March 17, 2004, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: DropTopFox ]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by DropTopFox:
quote:

I've seen some stupid fucking posts in my day but by far and away does this one take the cake. Everyone that knows anything in this forum points and laughs at you. Avoid the tech talk section if this is what you plan to post [Roll Eyes] [BS flag]

I believe you are also the same person that recommended not putting a shift kit in a stock automatic tranny...For fuck sake just go buy an import [patriot]

I know a few things about auto tech. If you only knew what I do for a living. Yes, I was the same person who advised people on this board not to install an auto trans SHIT kit and I stand behind that recomndation 100%. Finnally, this whole EFI vs Crab post is nothing more than a simple debate and it looks like some people are taking it a little to seriouly. [Eek!]

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

DropTopFox~This is a warning...Watch the language and treat others how you would want to be treated...Everyone is intitled to an opinion...This is an EFI vs Carb debate, not a drama post....

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
quote:
quote:

DropTopFox~This is a warning...Watch the language and treat others how you would want to be treated...Everyone is intitled to an opinion...This is an EFI vs Carb debate, not a drama post....
but that guys right there is one of them auto tech gurus, he can handle it [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] DOH!!!

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-:
quote:
Once again, the baddest on off street mustang built by ford comes with EFI!

no offense intended, but please, quit digging!

no V10 is 'factory' in any mustang, period.

This motor is the high mark for Ford Factory performance, period.

put the shovel down and click here

Shadetree..at his finest [worship] couldent agree more.
chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

hey so when does the 3.55 v. 3.73 debate begin?
[patriot]

--------------------
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen1:
hey so when does the 3.55 v. 3.73 debate begin?
[patriot]

3.55's, my first gear is damn near impossible to launch on street tires [burnout]

--------------------

-Me

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
3.55's haha lets extend this one

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

A 10 liter engine is approx 610 cubes, a 427 is about 7 liters, so I'm curious as to what you're talking about. [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I luv that car... [worship] [worship]

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

I like the car but for 610 cubic inches, a 10.55 quarter mile is not that fast at all. I've seen an all motor 306 run in the 10's. This thin has twice the amount of cubes. Oh and BTW, that all motor 306 was carbed [patriot]

--------------------

-Me

cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

quote:
Originally posted by 98 Cobra:
Yep ford made a 610 cubic in v8 LOL.... started out as a 429...

Check it out... it's what that guy is yappin about.

http://www.supercars.net/cars/1994@$Ford@$Mustang%20Boss%2010.0L%20%20Conceptg.html http://www.supercars.net/cars/1994@$Ford@$Mustang%20Boss%2010.0L%20%20Conceptg.html

picture of it...  -

It's a one off breed

If I could have any car of my choice, it would be the boss 10.0 [worship] Baddest Mustang Ford ever built!!! Back in 1999, the boss 10.0 ran a 10.55@135 on a full road race suspension with 3.70 rear gears, C6 auto, a full factory interior ( power windows, full leather, power seats) Without nitrous, supercharging or turbo, just 10 liters of displacment, EFI and distributorless ignition making over 850 hp and 794 foot pounds of tourque!!!!try that with a carbed 306 [Wink]

[ March 18, 2004, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: cobraracer46 ]

--------------------

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 98 Cobra:
Yep ford made a 610 cubic in v8 LOL.... started out as a 429...

Check it out... it's what that guy is yappin about.

http://www.supercars.net/cars/1994@$Ford@$Mustang%20Boss%2010.0L%20%20Conceptg.html http://www.supercars.net/cars/1994@$Ford@$Mustang%20Boss%2010.0L%20%20Conceptg.html

picture of it...  -

It's a one off breed

If I could have any car of my choice, it would be the boss 10.0 [worship] Baddest Mustang Ford ever built!!! Back in 1999, the boss 10.0 ran a 10.55@135 on a full road race suspension with 3.70 rear gears, C6 auto, a full factory interior ( power windows, full leather, power seats) Without nitrous, supercharging or turbo, just 10 liters of displacment, EFI and distributorless ignition making over 850 hp and 794 foot pounds of tourque!!!!try that with a carbed 306 [Wink]
I'm sure with a Dart Block with very high octane race gas and a whole shit load of compression some major heads intake and cam it could be done. It's all about how much money you are willing to spend. However the amount of research that was put into the Boss will never be reproduced on a carb motor. The parts on the Boss were specially made just for it, show me where you can buy those parts. The carb 306 is actually a feasable idea that can occur. I don't even want to tell you what could be done with just a 427 carbed motor. [Eek!] 66 AC Cobra will show us soon [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------

-Me

85GT
¯
Member # 1695

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 85GT  Ford pictures for 85GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
carb and 3.73

i have had a few EFI mustangs and they were nice but as for tuning and working on them, carb all the way. i just changed my valve cover gaskets, and i did it with my intake and carb on, i'd like to see that done on a EFI car without smoking a pack of cigs lol. i also don't like efi because of all the computer stuff... its a blessing and a curse all at the same time. sure its nice to see a check engine light when your car runs funny because you can pull the codes... versus trial and error on carb... but if its for something stupid and it makes your car run like ass (open loop) then its annoying.

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

In my opinion it matters on the combo for gears really. I don't think rear end gears should be debated over what ratio is better cause it truly is different for ever combo. If I had to pick though it would be 3.55 for better traction and higher trap speeds within the power band. However, gears should be picked after you know what MPH and you plan on trapping at [patriot]

--------------------

-Me

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com