Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » who makes the best-----clutch---- (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: who makes the best-----clutch----
Rev Happy
¯
Member # 661

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rev Happy  Ford pictures for Rev Happy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
To be honest, my SPEC has been good to me with absolutely no problems... Clutch grabs hard and is silky smooth during normal driving... I guess I'm in the 30%... [Razz] When I first installed it, the TO bearing was a bit noisy, but now the noise is basically gone...

Mcleod clutches are the best out there period IMHO... That will be my next clutch.... But overall, I'm happy with my SPEC...

[ February 18, 2004, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: Rev Happy ]

--------------------
96 Cobra

Posts: 182 | From: Southern California | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
93mustangt
¯
Member # 680

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93mustangt  Ford pictures for 93mustangt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
OK these are the clutches i have been through.
Stock clutch ~ broke after i powershited.
ford motorsport cluch~ broke downshifting on the freeway.
Ram clutch ~ slipped like a bit** would not take any power.
Mcleod ~ The best clutch i have owned and will never by another one [burnout] the customer service is really good too. If you need any help talk to Les at Mcleod. I am yet to hear one dissatisfied Mcleod customer. Most of my friends use mcloed also. [worship]

Posts: 543 | From: Orange county, Ca | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
T-Top Five-o
¯
Member # 3513

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for T-Top Five-o  Ford pictures for T-Top Five-o  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mcleod clutch any one have a website?
Posts: 319 | From: San Jose, Ca. | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
93mustangt
¯
Member # 680

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93mustangt  Ford pictures for 93mustangt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
this is there website.
http://www.mcleodind.com/

I Personaly have been to mcleod since they are 5 min from me and the quality is next to none. My car drive so smooth with the clutch and it has never slipped.
I would order mine from FPS (Ford performance solutions) they are a Mcleod dealer. HERE IS THERE NUMBER (714)773-9027 and (714)773-9028 Talk to Vince if you can and he will lead you the right way. They also sell a cable/quadrant/ firewall adjuster kit for around $90 bucks.

93mustangt
¯
Member # 680

Oh BTW have you ever seen a video of the fastest 5 speed driven car? If not look at this link. Look at the red coupe. And guess what clutch they use in that car? Mcleod!

http://www.x2cmotorsports.com/X2CMovies/

9lbpony
¯
Member # 3510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9lbpony  Ford pictures for 9lbpony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Interesting. I, on the other hand, have 60k miles on my King Cobra clutch in a car that makes 430/460 at the wheels and it feels just as good as it always did. Pedal effort is a little more then I'd like.
MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I find it amazing how people blame most problems on the clutch. Input shaft play, throw out bearing, how the flywheel was surfaced and trans to bell housing alignment all play into how long/how well a clutch last(and performs).

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A clutch also performs better if the car is sitting on welds. [Razz]

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Fostang:
A clutch also performs better if the car is sitting on welds. [Razz]

we'll see tomorrow when I pick mine up tomorrow [burnout]

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Rev Happy:
To be honest, my SPEC has been good to me with absolutely no problems... Clutch grabs hard and is silky smooth during normal driving... I guess I'm in the 30%... [Razz] When I first installed it, the TO bearing was a bit noisy, but now the noise is basically gone...

Mcleod clutches are the best out there period IMHO... That will be my next clutch.... But overall, I'm happy with my SPEC...

I went through 2 King Cobra's they were both great clutches...I've also been through Centerforce and those were a pile of shit...

I have had NO problem with my SPEC II clutch...IMHO its the best clutch that I've ever felt on a Mustang..I just talked to the guy who now owns my 94 with the SPEC II and he thinks its the greatest too!...

Drew~Last time I saw you at the track, you said how good the SPEC was and you wished you had put one on your car instead of the Ram...Although that was probably over a year and a half ago [Big Grin] ...Like I said, I've had no problems with my SPEC, but if you've had some problems what were they(specifically)??.....Have you installed 10 SPEC clutches or just driven cars with 10 SPEC's?...I've driven cars with brand new clutches and they feel like shit, just cuase of a bad install...I know you know your shit, but this is the first thing I've ever heard bad about the SPEC brand....I plan on doing a SPEC stage II and T5 conversion on my Merk, so any info is appriciated...

Thanx Rob

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Ford pictures for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't forget us! Our APEX Dual Kevlar clutch has been used by hundreds of customers, from drag racing supercharged Mustangs to road racing '00 Cobra Rs.
 -
We've had it up to 800hp and 8,500rpm, yet it's still extremely streetable. It will also last quite a bit longer than other brands.
We have them for standard or fine-spline input shafts.
CA FORDS SPECIAL UNTIL 2/29!! 20% off all APEX Dual Kevlar clutch kits!:
10.5" kits $340 (reg. $425)
11" kits $391 (reg. $489)

Kits come with Dual Kevlar disk, specific pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and alignment tool.
For more info, PM, call, or bill@apexmotorsports.com!!
[burnout]

[ February 19, 2004, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: Bill/APEX Motorsports ]

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

Posts: 488 | From: Santa Clara, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com