Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Belt slipping issues...please help (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Belt slipping issues...please help
KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
What do you mean slips? Is the belt on the edge of a pulley and about to fall off or is the belt centered on the pullies, but just makes noise?

Belt is all centered on the pullies but makes A LOT of noise, enough to make you not even drive the car. Belt dressing?? maybe? I doubt it but what else can I do if it the smallest belt I can fit and still slips? Thanks

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Take off the belt and spin the alternator, water pump and tentioner pulley by hand. They should spin easily.
KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Take off the belt and spin the alternator, water pump and tentioner pulley by hand. They should spin easily.

alt spins pretty good, pulley very good, water pump doesn't spin, If I really give a good spin maybe 1/2 a time around but thats it. Could this have something to do with my cooling problem? Also what does this mean? bad water pump or what?

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yup, looks like your water pump went south and it would explain your cooling problem and belt squeal.... but of course I'm not there to feel it so do the same test on another car to get a feel for what the pump should feel like when you spin it.

So how much should I charge you for this consulting session? [dance]

[ August 01, 2003, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: st5150 ]

KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

quote:
Yup, looks like your water pump went south.... but of course I'm not there to feel it so do the same test on another car to get a feel for what the pump should feel like when you spin it.

Well I am guess that has been it the whole time for months now I have been dealing with this. I will get a new one soon. Thanks for the advice all! Casey

--------------------

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Stimson
_
Member # 51

You'll probably pick up 1-2 HP from a freely spinning water pump [patriot]
KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

[worship] [worship] Those are words I LOVE to hear!

--------------------

WWW.AEDHP.COM

90GT
¯
Member # 3

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for 90GT  Ford pictures for 90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.angelfire.com/ns/PurgingPony/Belttensioner.html
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 90GT:
http://www.angelfire.com/ns/PurgingPony/Belttensioner.html

Great idea.... I forgot about this mod [patriot]

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com