Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Nitrous Question (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Nitrous Question
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N0SL050:
hey I didn't mean to start a heated debate [dance] Just asking a few opinions... Thanks to everybody for there input on my question [patriot]

Your new motor with the 10:1 compression will run great with a 100 shot! Just make sure you get a AFPR and adequate fuel pump like a Walbro 255lph. [patriot]

--------------------
Support our troops!

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my opinion, those 'octane booster' things you buy for like $4 at Kragens are a rip.
#1, add it to a full/partial tank and it increases your octane a couple 'points', i.e. 91 becomes 91.2 or whatever.

BFD

go to Arco and buy the 100 octane, 3 gallons of 91 and 1 gallon of 100 would give you 93.25 octane, for example. I don't even want to think how many bottles of that crappy '104' or whatever that would take (20?) and it still leaves red crap all over your plugs which is annoying. [patriot]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

chrome17s
¯
Member # 1187

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrome17s  Ford pictures for chrome17s    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i agree that if i were building a nitrous motor for the street, i'd have low compression. u want reliability, not max hp.

whatever u do, make sure the supporting hardware is up to the task. better fuel pump and injectors, 1-2 ranges colder on the plugs, change ur fuel filter and plugs often and check for any signs on the plugs, get rid of the limiter, retard timing and TUNE TUNE TUNE!!! [Whoo Whooooo!]

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Exactly, upgrade the fuel system to handle it like with any power adder, tune and maintain your engine accordingly!

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A n2o motor built correctly with 10:1 compression and an adequate fuel supply will be reliable and quick at the same time. It's not like he will be driving around on n20 all the time. He even said it himself that he would run it from "time to time" not all the time.

quote:
Originally posted by Chrome 17's:
get rid of the limiter...

Please explain to me why he would do this?
[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Support our troops!

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Where's haulinassmaro on this one. He runs 14:1 with N20. lil gray runs 10.5:1 with it. Im sure there are many others on here above 10:1 running juice. All you have to do is tune your shit. Low compression N20 motor is [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

quote:
Originally posted by N20SNAKE:
Thats my whole point what good does 50 more horsepower do you if it only lasts a few thousand miles, and how many passes do pro mod guys make on a motor? How much money is put into those motors to begin with? A SHIT LOAD! Like I said, if I'm building a customers car thats how I set it up or recommend them to set it up in a STREET CAR. I work at True Blue performance on the side from being a Merceded tech to get my fill, and thats the RIGHT way to do it.... but this is all besides the point, I was just trying to help a fellow mustang owner make well educated decisions and be informed. Still hope it works out bro, good luck.

Why do you keep mentioning where you work it has no relevance to the question at hand. Just because you work as a "Merceded tech" doesn't mean you know shit about nitrous. Do you see a lot of Mercedes coming in with nitrous? I don't think so. Besides just because you have the label tech doesn't mean a damn thing. I know a list of techs that can't even remember left loosey righty tighty. I am not saying you don't know what your doing but don't come on here as a noobie acting like your going to get all this respect by saying you work here as a tech and there as a tech. In my expierences techs=shitty paid mechanics.

The ones that really know how to work on cars are the ones that do it on the side.

No hard feelings. Keep up on your n2o reading. [patriot]

--------------------
Support our troops!

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91sleeper:

[Roll Eyes] [/QB]

factory computer pulls spark at 6250 (EEC-IV, non-cobra), which = very bad when spraying. More than likely, you spray and bounce off the limiter you go into a critically lean detonating situation that may cost you a headgasket if you're lucky, or a piston if you're not.

easily solved with a window switch [patriot]

--------------------

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

quote:
Originally posted by shade-tree:
quote:

[Roll Eyes]

factory computer pulls spark at 6250 (EEC-IV, non-cobra), which = very bad when spraying. More than likely, you spray and bounce off the limiter you go into a critically lean detonating situation that may cost you a headgasket if you're lucky, or a piston if you're not.

easily solved with a window switch [patriot] [/QB]

I believe it pulls fuel not spark, plus why not use both? I would rather keep the factory rev-limiter than not having one at all.

--------------------
Support our troops!

stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
haulinassmaro runs 14.1 but one miss and boom boom bye bye motor.
chrome17s
¯
Member # 1187

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrome17s  Ford pictures for chrome17s    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i think it does pull fuel, BUT thats not any better. thats a recipe for a KaBoom! when bouncing off the rev limiter while on the juice. if u don't want to remove it, i'd at least raise it about 500rpm but keep ur same shifts points, etc.

i'm not saying that u can't spray with a high comp motor, just that if it were my hard earned money, i'd rather err on the side of safety than max hp. do what u will, not my $$$...

the shit from my other post + a window switch + NX gen-x 2 kit, and ur ready to spray [Razz]

stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[Cool] and not my money.

[ July 06, 2003, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: stoauto ]

chrome17s
¯
Member # 1187

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrome17s  Ford pictures for chrome17s    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
oh yeah, go with copper plugs also. i believe the added heat from N2O will burn platinum right off. good luck and spray safe...
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

you're right, it pulls fuel, I mis-typed, otherwise what I said wouldn't make sense...

use the MSD's rev limiter, best tied with a window switch!

[ July 06, 2003, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: shade-tree ]

--------------------

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

quote:
Originally posted by chrome17s:
oh yeah, go with copper plugs also. i believe the added heat from N2O will burn platinum right off. good luck and spray safe...

Never run platinum plugs while squeezing!

BTW, where in the east bay are you exactly from? What does your car look like?

[ July 06, 2003, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: 91sleeper ]

--------------------
Support our troops!

chrome17s
¯
Member # 1187

i stay over in union city. 00 black, billet grill, cobra r hood, 95 cobra r's, some stickers on quarter windows, and white mustang lettering on the bumper. if u ever see me, say whats up or something. too much damn hate going around in the car industry these days [patriot]
N20SNAKE
¯
Member # 3024

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N20SNAKE  Ford pictures for N20SNAKE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Thats my whole point what good does 50 more horsepower do you if it only lasts a few thousand miles, and how many passes do pro mod guys make on a motor? How much money is put into those motors to begin with? A SHIT LOAD! Like I said, if I'm building a customers car thats how I set it up or recommend them to set it up in a STREET CAR. I work at True Blue performance on the side from being a Merceded tech to get my fill, and thats the RIGHT way to do it.... but this is all besides the point, I was just trying to help a fellow mustang owner make well educated decisions and be informed. Still hope it works out bro, good luck.

Why do you keep mentioning where you work it has no relevance to the question at hand. Just because you work as a "Merceded tech" doesn't mean you know shit about nitrous. Do you see a lot of Mercedes coming in with nitrous? I don't think so. Besides just because you have the label tech doesn't mean a damn thing. I know a list of techs that can't even remember left loosey righty tighty. I am not saying you don't know what your doing but don't come on here as a noobie acting like your going to get all this respect by saying you work here as a tech and there as a tech. In my expierences techs=shitty paid mechanics.

The ones that really know how to work on cars are the ones that do it on the side.

No hard feelings. Keep up on your n2o reading. [patriot]

No hard feelings... cause your obviously a moron. Mabye you should follow your own advise and not assume shit duschbag. Did your boyfriend not give you a reach-around last night or what, I'm just tryin to help dude out and your jumpin all over me like you would this months issue of Playgirl......
but no hard feelings

Posts: 17 | From: RALEIGH NC (FROM SAN JOSE) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
N20SNAKE
¯
Member # 3024

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N20SNAKE  Ford pictures for N20SNAKE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Must be nice to know everything at 18, stay in school kid. Sounds like you need it.
N0SL050
¯
Member # 2719

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N0SL050  Ford pictures for N0SL050    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn all this off a question.. Just think if I ever want to stir some shit up [Roll Eyes]
But thanks for all the replies I can see where both sides are coming from.. N20SNAKE I can see what you are saying by keeping it on the safe side go with the low compression and pretty much no worries, but I prolly will not be squeezing that often maybe here and there but not all the time. I just wanted to make sure that the couple of times I do hit the button shit didn't blow once again thanks for the info everybody [patriot]

--------------------
Kustom Auto Detailing

Posts: 460 | From: Martinez ,Ca | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
N20SNAKE
¯
Member # 3024

Should be golden then my friend, happy spraying!
Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You are the only person I have ever heard suggest a low compression motor for nitrous.

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

I will admit that if you follow say a given manufacturer's jet size table, you will have to watch yourself on a wideband setup if you want to be careful, e.g. add a little fuel to be safe moving from 9:1 to 10:1, and again to 11:1 or whatever.

--------------------

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

quote:
Must be nice to know everything at 18, stay in school kid. Sounds like you need it.

Age has nothing to do with knowledge. Don't compare me to how intelligent YOU were at 18 years of age because I am not the average 18 year old.

Besides I am not going to school to become a "Merceded tech". If you would like to know I am going to school to become a FireMedic. Maybe someday I will be saving your life. Who knows.

--------------------
Support our troops!

N20SNAKE
¯
Member # 3024

look its simple physics, if you have a motor with a 10.1 compression ratio and you spray say a hundred shot even. The effective compression ratio is then increased to roughly 16.1 and if you think you can run that on the street for any length of time without having a detonation occur, your crazy. I never said people dont do it I just said its not the way to do it right and make your money last and enjoy your shit without popping a head gasket every 6 months. And as far as you being an emt or whatever, thats great but if your as all knowing at that as you are at automotive information... I think Ill wait for the next emt thanks. Ignorance is contagous cure yourself.
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You got a lot of nerve coming in here talkin all this shit as a newbie! Its great that you understand how an engine works and your a tech, we got that! We also understand your trying to say be safe! But all the guy asked is if it would work! Then you start spittin out somr B.S. line you probably heard from someone at work! You make it sound like a 10:1 motor with a 100 shot is sucide and its gona blow!

I dont even want to hear what you have to say about boosted motors! Maybr you just need to go back to school and have a refresher course, or actually get out there and start bulding cars that people know and let us see some fast cars you got! Aain, a 10:1 motor properly built with a sufficient fuel system and proper maintence and tune and a 100 shot will go many happy adrenaline pumping miles without incedent! If you dont believe me, im sure i could talk my buddy into talking you on a nice ride in his 30,000 mile high compression 69 camaro with a 225 shot! Theories are fine on paper, but reality is a whole new ball game!

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com