Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Copper head gaskets? (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Copper head gaskets?
92coupe
¯
Member # 1957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92coupe  Ford pictures for 92coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i think its your timing, chris was running his 9-10psi blower with stock 10 degree timing with out a single problem.

--------------------
94-GT BLOWN & STROKED

92coupe
¯
Member # 1957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92coupe  Ford pictures for 92coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
oh yea, i said i had copper header gaskets on the coupe not HG's. but i didnt like em. they kinda leaked when it was cold then filled up when hot.

--------------------
94-GT BLOWN & STROKED

stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 7 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what kind of heads are you using? aluminum or cast iron? if your using aluminum heads, dont use head gaskets with a steel shim core. Because of the different expansion rates of cast iron and aluminum the only head gaskets that will work are copper or composition. Maybe your heads are warped, have you tried getting them surfaced.
66 InjectedCobra
¯
Member # 819

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 InjectedCobra  Ford pictures for 66 InjectedCobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
copper head gaskets are a great choice for a blown street car like yours.
You will never blow a gasket again not even W/ 20 psi [Eek!]
This is only true if they are set up RIGHT!!!!!!!!!

You need to surface your heads and have them cut to fit .041 wire in your heads or better you do them in your block if your willing to take the motor out for a week or so. Both surfaces must be perfectly flat for this set up to not leak water and cumbustion!!! Decked block and surfaced heads are a must!!! I would recommend where ever you decide to put the o-rings you put a reciever groove in the opposite surface. That is a cut that is about twice as wide as the o-ring and it gives a place for the copper to go when the o-ring pushes it during torque down!! That seals both the head side and the block side for combustion very well and at the same time letting the head come all the way down to seal those water leaks everyone talks about. That is why most people do not seal the water passeges and copper gaskets get a bad name..
You must also spray the gaskets W/ Hylomar COPPER HEAD GASKET SEALER right before install!! VERY IMPORTANT!!
Make sure to use a set of studs on your block too.

I used to blow the felpro's all day long just like you, but I never hurt the coppers at all.
Understand blowing gaskets is not because of boost but not being properly tuned. You are not using enough injector and you need a custom tuned chip.

If you decide to go copper then call Daves Engine Machine in Newark (510)797-9536 ask for Dave.
He has never had on leak on any of his copper set up motors...

Hope this info helps you out Bro [patriot]

--------------------
Just An Old Slow Ford!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=6389544

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just got my heads decked. The machinist did say they were slightly warped. Do I really need to the heads or block o-ringed if I use copper gaskets? People have been telling me that I dont need to o-ring them at all even with regular head gaskets.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Posts: 1316 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 92coupe:
i think its your timing, chris was running his 9-10psi blower with stock 10 degree timing with out a single problem.

I was running 7 degrees base timing.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Copper head gaskets are the best way to contain high boost and they help dissipate cylinder heat. They really need to have an imbedded wire in the head or block with a receiver groove opposite to work best. Properly prepared copper gaskets won't leak coolant on the street or track. Improperly prepared gaskets will surely leak. It is best to have the block deck machined flat as well as the heads to insure a good seal. Other safe guard procedures are to run a low pressure radiator cap and release the coolant pressure on engine shutdown. I know someone that does neither of the above and has not had any problems. I haven't had any problems either with mine.

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Posts: 1361 | From: Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  :
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

This motor will only see a MAX of 12psi. That being said, what do you suggest? Also, these are stock heads, E7's, for those of you who asked.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You don't want copper gaskets for that application. I have heard about a new blower gasket from Fel-Pro that is supposed to be their best and works pretty well. Part number is 1046.

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

I looked for those gaskets by fel pro, couldnt find them. Have a link??? [patriot]

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

You might want to give them a call since I think the gasket is somewhat new. Sorry, I don't have their number.

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

ok. Thanks. [patriot]

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

66 InjectedCobra
¯
Member # 819

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 InjectedCobra  Ford pictures for 66 InjectedCobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
John what did you use to seal the copper head gaskets on your car?
Hylomar?
Did you assemble the long block your self??
Are you useing 7/16 studs?
Thanks for the info [patriot]

--------------------
Just An Old Slow Ford!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=6389544

John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

I used a product called Hi Tack copper gasket sealer. Originally my motor came from Kuntz with the heads assembled but due to a Stewart water pump problem I removed them thinking I had head gasket problems. Turns out the impeller came off the water pump and the result was that the engine temperature would keep climbing. I changed the pump and reinstalled the the heads with new gaskets and used the Hi Tack (recommended by Kuntz).

This block uses 1/2" head bolts.

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com