Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Is it real expensive to fix minor frame damage, got pics! (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Is it real expensive to fix minor frame damage, got pics!
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldn't drive a mustang or any car for that matter which had a bent frame and was re-straightened. Any metal that has been bent out of its orignal shape and then re-bent back will not be strong. It might look good if its fixed but I wish the best to you if you ever happen to crash it again.

--------------------
Support our troops!

jay-vee
¯
Member # 2708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jay-vee  Ford pictures for jay-vee    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
frame rails can be straightened, with all of the structural integrity it had from the factory. if this could not be done safely insurance companies would not allow frames to be straightened, and they would total out every honda that got into an accident. frame rails on uni-body cars are designed to bend, twist, and crush to absorb the energy of an impact to keep the occupants of the vehicle safe in an accident. if it were not possible to safely repair these vehicles insurance companies would lose there asses totaling out every car with minor frame damage. auto body shops make money on repairs, but they have to guarantee that your car was repaired safely and within factory specs. any and all reputable body shops have several thousands of dollars invested in frame straightening, and measuring equipment this would all be a waste of money if cars with frame damage were not safely repairable.
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your frame ABSOLUTELY "CAN" be fixed to factory specs. To save money take off the WHOLE front clip (fenderS, hood, bumper cover and radiator). This will save you at least an hour of labor, probably 2. It will be less expensive than you think. Doesn't look that bad. I have had 5 cars taken to the local frame shop in Santa Rosa and none of them have been more than $400 tops. 3 of them were far worse than yours.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Never said it couldnt be done but it defnatley will not be as safe as it was, just letting you know the risks.

--------------------
Support our troops!

jay-vee
¯
Member # 2708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jay-vee  Ford pictures for jay-vee    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
properly repaired a straightened rail would be just as safe as, and react just as a factory rail would.
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by jay-vee:
properly repaired a straightened rail would be just as safe as, and react just as a factory rail would.

Ditto

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

SleeperVert50
¯
Member # 2742

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SleeperVert50  Ford pictures for SleeperVert50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so if i take off the fenders, hood, bumper, and radiator it will save me alot of money. And I can get the frame fixed fairly cheap?

--------------------
Sunset Orange 5.0, a Lady Killer!

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

quote:
Originally posted by SleeperVert50:
so if i take off the fenders, hood, bumper, and radiator it will save me alot of money. And I can get the frame fixed fairly cheap?

You would save a lot money because it would be a lot less work for them to do.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
quote:
Originally posted by jay-vee:

Ditto
We will just leave it at that theres no need to argue over the internet about it. [Embarrassed]

--------------------
Support our troops!

SleeperVert50
¯
Member # 2742

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SleeperVert50  Ford pictures for SleeperVert50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
can anyone suggest a good place to do frame work in oakland or richmond?

--------------------
Sunset Orange 5.0, a Lady Killer!

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com