Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Are GT40Ps smog legal? (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Are GT40Ps smog legal?
O.G. Cobra
¯
Member # 747

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for O.G. Cobra  Ford pictures for O.G. Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93venom:
I pretty sure that cast iron gt40p's went on the 93-95 cobras. And regular 5.0 headers (frombbk,mac,fms whoever) should bolt up but the spark plugs are bitch because of the wierd angle on the gt40ps. I had to buy special plugs from ford for these heads, but yes, ford sells the correct headers for these heads. just go buy a set of aluminum 50 state heads,

the cobra's had regular gt-40 heads. gt-40p's were on the 5.0 explorers...
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
fasterdamnit is right, they are not smog legal for stangs "out of the box" as in from an explorer. On the explorer they are smog legal because the EGR setup is similar to SN-95 stangs.

Either you drill the back of the heads to get to the exhaust port so that you can plumb that in to your EGR system or you cross your fingers and *hope* to pass smog. Your computer will throw the (EGR does not switch) code when you are bypassing this.

How do I know this? I ran a set of GT-40P heads on my mustang last year, and this year I am running an SN-95 longblock ('94 cobra) motor in my car.

For what it's worth, my old-school MAC 1 5/8" longtubes fit GT-40, GT-40P, E7TE, and Trickflow TW heads perfectly. Tonight I will find out if they clear a McCleod steel bellhousing. If they do, I nominate these headers for the "best header ever" award. [worship]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Fox89GT
¯
Member # 1539

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fox89GT  Ford pictures for Fox89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lets take this one step forward. What are the differences between the Explorer and SN-95 EGR setup? I know the intakes are different but what about the heads? By the way where is all this EGR stuff located? I was trying to figure all this stuff out but never did. But then again I did not know what I was looking for????

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com