Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 347 stroker kits... (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 347 stroker kits...
slow&poor
¯
Member # 961

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slow&poor  Ford pictures for slow&poor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey scott, did you see my car at school today. I was parked in the street near the courtyard.

[ August 20, 2002, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: slow&poor ]

--------------------
1992 Mustang GT: Stolen 4/23/03

1993 Mustang GT:
Performance:
AFR 165 pedestal mount 60cc heads, Crane 1.7 Roller Rockers, FRPP EFI Valve Covers, Cobra Intake Manifold, BBK 3/8 Phenolic Spacer, FMS 65mm TB, C&L 76mm Mass Air Meter, BBK Fenderwell Cold Air Intake, BBK 1 5/8" Jet-Hot Shorty Headers, Bassani 2.5" X-Pipe w/ Cats, FMS 3.73 Ring and Pinion Gears, Flowmaster 2 Chamber Mufflers, BBK Aluminum Underdrive Pulleys, B&M Supercooler, PA Full Manual Valve body w/ Trans Brake, TCI Street Fighter Lock up Converter, PA Performance 3G Alternator, FMS Aluminum Driveshaft, Kirban Billet Fuel Pressure regulator, Hurst Quarter Stick
Handling:
MM Standard Length Subframe connectors, MM 4 Point K-Member Brace, MM Strut Tower Brace, Saleen Progressive Rate Lowering Springs, Koni Yellow Shocks, Pro3i Street/Strip LCA's w/ weight jackers
Performance:
*13.27 seconds ¼ mile time
*104mph traps

1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you think you are going to buy a car for 5k and then dump 5k in it good luck. A proper built 347 costs a bit of money. If I were you I would just buy a car that is done and performs great at the track. IT is a lot cheaper and you don't have to deal with a huge headache. I have gone through it. My 347 took me quit a bit of time to getting running correctly with the supercharger. Now shit keeps happening. Even though you think parts are new they still go bad. That is the cost of high performance. Also if you are planning this machine to be a daily driver good luck
Albert

PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
now the whole thing would be no fun if i bought some piece that somoene beat the shit out of, but i value your advice.....

slow&poor- no i didnt, ill have to look tomorrow...

93pony or camara- the performer rpm would work better then? what about this "spyder intake" i have heard about? info on that? thnx!

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Stick with a long runner intake like the edelbrocks. A spider intake is more of a power-adder intake, it generates most of it's power up top. The long runners will help low-end torque, yet still give impressive gains across the board.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok, i wanna get headers before that, what type should i get? Im SORT OF in the dark on what the different specs are on each (like long tube, shorties, etc). I just boughbt a bbk o/r x and dont want to have to resize it to fit different headers. Any suggestions?
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well if you bought an off road x-pipe you have two choices of headers. You can get shortys or Equal Length headers. Get BBk whatever you do. Always try to match up the headers and the pipe for best fit. If I were you I would go with BBK Equal length headers. There a little harder to install and cost a bit more than shortys but will give you a little more high end hp.

--------------------
Support our troops!

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Forget BBK. Seriously! Measure the 'ball-ends' of the H you just bought. I should measure 2.5 inches at the opening, garanteed it won't! It's probably around 2.25 inches. That's the restriction in the exhaust, you should grind/cut it out to 2.5 inches. Same with the headers + the BBK's have substantial welding flash inside the primaries, fine for stock heads with small ports, but a nice restriction when aftermarket heads are used. JBA has much better quality control, as well as the FRPP headers. Equal length isn't going to be much of a benifit & it's definately a pain to install.

For max power run the O/R pipe till you get the motor built, then sell it & buy Long-tubes & a 3 inch X....if you must smog it & know a place that isn't too observant you can get a custom made X with cats that'll alow you to pass the sniffer. Or you can swap exhaust every 2 years. Not really that big a deal....half a day's work by yourself.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

wait, so your saying the stock headers are gonna hold up on a car producing 600+ hp (thats after the supercharger, of course, but it will still be 400+ now)??
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get jba UNEQUAL LENGTH headers, or bassani headers. those are the best. save your nuckles and dont get equal lengths

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

so whats the deal with "unequal length." im sort of lost. im thinking shorties come stock on the car, or is it equal length, i dont know. [Confused] [Confused]
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
equal length headers ass like 3 more hp, but are a bitch to put on.

--------------------
86 GT

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

The basic types of headers for your car:
Shorties (un-equal stock type)
Shorty Eguals
Long-tubes (also equal length)

What I'm saying is sell the pipe & get the long-tubes with a matching X.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

well, i cant do that, just because it will be too much hasle at the current time. WHat im tryin to get at is what would be the best replacement headers that are the same as the stock size??
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

JBA shorties.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

thats what i have and i like them alot.

--------------------
86 GT

88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This is not a flame at all, and people may think I'm a dick for saying this, but if you have this many questions, this may not be the motor for you right away. I'm just trying to help. I mean, if you don't know the difference between types of headers and little shit like that, you are getting in way over your head. In your first post you asked if the stroker's produced about 260 fly wheel hp. That would be the worst assembled 347 in history if it only put out 260 fly wheel. The motor in your new used car may even have that much power with bolt ons.
Sit down one day and make a price list of every part that you'll need, big stuff like the block and rotating assembly, heads, intake, cam, supercharger, aftercooler possibly, and then the little stuff including gaskets, oils, bolts, and what not. Then throw on labor, and throw in a few extra hundred bucks for stuff that will invevitably go wrong or get broken. If you're going to be pushing 600+ hp like you say, you'll also need a new kick ass fuel system and a good tune. Then there's the likely prospect of you killing yourself driving that car after driving a 6 banger around for a long time. I dont think you can even imagine what it would be like to drive 600 hp on the street, i know i can't. Ask Harold what it's like. You may want to start out smaller before you ape shit on this car. Again, this is not a flame, just something to think about. Good luck

P.S. Add tires to that list of mods because you'll be changing those more than your oil.

Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

I'd have to agree with 88gt.

If this car only has 87K miles, your best bet is to do a head/cam/intake swap & go from there. There is a STEEP learning curve...we all go through it.
A good HCI combo on a stock shortblock can easily make 300RWHP & that's plenty on the street & enough for 12's at the track.

I went from a 250HP GT to a 450+ Cobra & let me tell you I was NOT prepared! I went from 1-100 in 14 seconds to 1-100 in less than 9! Roll into the gas on the wrong corner & that's it...no more mustang.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thats what I'm saving for currently for my 142,000 mile motor.

A Stock 302 rebuild with TFS heads, intake, and cam. [Smile]

That should be low 13's for sure and high-mid 12's on the juice and or better.

--------------------
Support our troops!

PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

you guys arent understanding that its not a 347 engine, its just the kit for the 302 which doesnt supply nearly as much HP as the complete. I understand where your comin from and hey thats the reason there are mechanics who do the work for you. I know good people who could very well help me with the questions i ask but i figure i would post them up here to get quick reliable responses. I AM doing a "simple" head/intake/cam swap after i get the kit put on, so i dont think its that big of a deal.

Again, maybe im wrong, if i am well f*ck me, but this is my decision. thank you for the input though. that is, after all, why i post here.

AaronC
¯
Member # 86

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AaronC  Ford pictures for AaronC    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what do you mean get your "kit put on"? A 347 is a whole new internal rotating assembly and there is block prep work that goes with it. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. You don't just buy the kit and put it on. There's lots of machine work that needs to be done as well as balancing it.

--------------------
1991 GT Convertible: Stock 157k mile shortblock, HiTech cam, AFR 165 heads, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1 3/4 headers

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

yeah i know that much about it...if i didnt know that then i would kick myself in the ass. Anyway, i might just have to go with a I/C/H deal now because i lost a grand that i had to put into the engine because it has to go to preping the rest of the car to be a stable ride.
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 12 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yep.. I think it'd be good if you picked up a book.
302 & 347 refer to the cubic inch displacement of the motor. Both have a 4-4.03 inch bore (diameter of the piston), but the 302 has a 3 inch stroke & the 347 has a 3.4 inch stroke. So a 347 requires a different crank, rods, & pistons....& that's what the 'kit' comes with. However, the only thing you'll be using from the 302 would be the block & really it'd probably be cheaper to just scrap the 302 & buy a 347 shortblock. If you use the stock E7TE heads, cam, & intake you'll be gaining far less than aftermarket HCI on the stock 302.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

White02GT
¯
Member # 611

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for White02GT  Ford pictures for White02GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BlueV6stang:
[QB]GOD THAT WAS SOOOOO SWEET. THe show was a great turn out, but the cruise, that was something else. We have tons of footage on video tape, and we're just lookin it over now...

Btw, thanks for stopping every once in a while along the cruise for everyone to meet up, we got seperated in certain parts a lot, and it was a big help. Anyone gonna be putting videos up soon?

That was a quote from after the original fosters freeze cruise. I was the car right in front of you, so I figured I would bring this back to show others. I'm not trying to start anything, but these are your own words.

--------------------
2002 Mustang GT 13.54 @ 102

"You can't out smart a smartass" Eminem

Posts: 1984 | From: Mountain View, Ca | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

i dont have any clue wtf your point is? honestly im really absolutely 100% lost in what your trying to prove? you brought up a post from months back at the foster freeze show about how im saying it was a good cruise and i got lots of footage? riiiight.

[ August 26, 2002, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: PeNiNsula302 ]

White02GT
¯
Member # 611

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for White02GT  Ford pictures for White02GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you were all over the road in your 99 v6, you probably shouldn't build this monster of a car until you can handle the power.

--------------------
2002 Mustang GT 13.54 @ 102

"You can't out smart a smartass" Eminem

Posts: 1984 | From: Mountain View, Ca | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com