Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » How to determine what rearend I have??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: How to determine what rearend I have??
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How could I determine what 8.8 rearend I have? Are there obvious differences between sn95 cobra, sn95 gt, and Foxbody rearend?

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 LsX  Ford pictures for 5.0 LsX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is there a metal tag hanging off the cover? that will say the type of rear, year and gear ratio if it hasnt been changed

--------------------
91' Notch

DIRTY SALLY
¯
Member # 7845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DIRTY SALLY  Ford pictures for DIRTY SALLY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sn95s are longer based [Confused]

--------------------
---------
Savage Habits
instagram @2cheezen

jegg
¯
Member # 9910

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jegg  Ford pictures for jegg    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
jack up one wheel and spin the wheel TWO turns and count the revolutions of the drive shaft. about 3 1/2 = 3.55 3 3/4 = 3.72 4 1/8= 4.10

you need to turn the wheel two revolutions because of how the spider gears change the ratio.

i saw this online some where. cant remember where

[ March 20, 2012, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: jegg ]

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the info on how to determine gear ratio! I'll try that.

But I'm wondering how i can determine if my rearend is from a sn95 gt, sn95 cobra, or a Foxbody. Are there differences?

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

jegg
¯
Member # 9910

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jegg  Ford pictures for jegg    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ohh.. i see....haha...o well...

hmm...i couldnt tell ya that one..

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the housings are the same on all. fox is fox legnth. sn 94 to 95 is a lil wider . and after that im not sure but i know they go wider and then a year again they go even wider. the difference, is the axle length and the brakes to match the wider axles. on difference in the cobra stuff is bigger disc an calipers and caliper brackets, and the anti moans are different on the cobras as well. gear ratio can be told by how many drives shafts complete rotations, to one rotation of the wheel. like if the driveshaft spun 4 times to one rotation of the wheel, it 4.oo so a 410 gear. 3 1/2 turns to one turn on the wheel would be 350 gears. hope that helps a bit.
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lol u have a ford rearend lol that help? loljk
DIRTY SALLY
¯
Member # 7845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DIRTY SALLY  Ford pictures for DIRTY SALLY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Duncan Motors:
lol u have a ford rearend lol that help? loljk

yea its ford rearend alright [Razz]

look to see if it has a part num on it that begins with a e like E6 OT E7 E8 ECT or a num that looks like this
2L73A88= 2.73 1988 rear end

--------------------
---------
Savage Habits
instagram @2cheezen

MUSTTANGUY
¯
Member # 2251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MUSTTANGUY  Ford pictures for MUSTTANGUY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
All 86-98 8.8 housings are the same, nothing special or different about any of them whether Cobra (93 or 94-98)or standard GT
86-93 uses same axles whether 7.5 or 8.8
94-98 uses axles 3/4" longer per side due to disc brakes than Fox
99-04 is about 1 7/16" longer per side than fox
Cobras will have the larger vented 11" rotors and specific mounting brackets.
Additionally, metal tag on rear cover will show something like 3L08 8.8 which would be a 3:08 gear ratio,traction lock, 8.8 rearend.

[ March 20, 2012, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: MUSTTANGUY ]

--------------------
Tim (Musttanguy)
97 5.0 coupe
82 GT 427/T56/9"

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com