Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Oil pressure problem!! (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Oil pressure problem!!
Driftking209
¯
Member # 10458

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Driftking209  Ford pictures for Driftking209    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok so my oil pressure Gauge has been low idk what's wrong I think oil pump is going out my oil level is max on my dip stick here the picture and if u think oil pump where can I get one and how much here picture of the pressure.

-

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thats the normal range,hence the word normal. Nothing wrong with it. It goes up a little while driving though right?

[ February 22, 2011, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: 90GT510 ]

Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :
Driftking209
¯
Member # 10458

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Driftking209  Ford pictures for Driftking209    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 90GT510:
Thats the normal range,hence the word normal. Nothing wrong with it. It goes up a little while driving though right?

No it starta jumping and goes below normal kragens has a high volicty one for 33 dollars I think I'm go get it since I race A lot and beat my car lol
Driftking209
¯
Member # 10458

I'm just gonna get the new oil pump
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
change the sending unit first, might be that no need to do all that work if its a bad sending unit

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you have to pull or lift the motor high to change oil pumps

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2002 F150 supercrew-

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If it's jumping around, there are a few possibilities:
Sump pickup too close to the pan
Bad sending unit
Faulty oil filter (clogging)
And worst case...bad pump.

The gauge though, completely within specs.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sydewayzLX50:
change the sending unit first, might be that no need to do all that work if its a bad sending unit

+1

--------------------
Stay Sydewayz

BlownSnake95
¯
Member # 10578

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlownSnake95  Ford pictures for BlownSnake95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i agree with changing the sending unit first would be alot cheaper and if it is the problem alot easier to fix
Posts: 54 | From: San Diego CA | Registered: Jan 2011  |  :
Driftking209
¯
Member # 10458

I have a pit if that helps and what is the sending unit like how much is it? And I don't want to offend ur mechanic experience on mustang but why would u have to lift the motor I got a pit so I don't gotta do much but drop the oil pan right?
Driftking209
¯
Member # 10458

Ok I got the new sending unit only 23 dollars and I got high volume oil pump and I've had a new oil pump so 100% sure when I do all this it will be fixed
Driftking209
¯
Member # 10458

quote:
Originally posted by Driftking209:
Ok I got the new sending unit only 23 dollars and I got high volume oil pump and I've had a new oil filter 100% sure when I do all this it will be fixed

87redgt
¯
Member # 9176

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87redgt  Ford pictures for 87redgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I have a pit if that helps and what is the sending unit like how much is it? And I don't want to offend ur mechanic experience on mustang but why would u have to lift the motor I got a pit so I don't gotta do much but drop the oil pan right?

you have to lift the motor because you wont he able to get the oil pan out with the k-member in the way.
MauriSSio
¯
Member # 9943

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MauriSSio  Ford pictures for MauriSSio    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds like you were pretty set on doing whatever you wanted.BTW, (if it wasnt the sender) Bad/old pumps arent the only things that affect oil pressure. could be a bad lifter/s, excessive bearing clearances (or worn bearings). shoot,a thicker oil might have been all you needed. good luck.

[ February 22, 2011, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: MauriSSio ]

Driftking209
¯
Member # 10458

quote:
Originally posted by MauriSSio:
sounds like you were pretty set on doing whatever you wanted.BTW, (if it wasnt the sender) Bad/old pumps arent the only things that affect oil pressure. could be a bad lifter/s, excessive bearing clearances (or worn bearings). shoot,a thicker oil might have been all you needed. good luck.

Yea I knw but the gasket is out it leaks pretty bad so I might as well get it over with the oil pump was only 33 dollars so might as well replace that while I lift my motor
90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

quote:
quote:

Yea I knw but the gasket is out it leaks pretty bad so I might as well get it over with the oil pump was only 33 dollars so might as well replace that while I lift my motor
the oil pan gasket? does it leak from the rear of the engine? id so it most likely would be the rear main seal
Driftking209
¯
Member # 10458

quote:
Originally posted by 90GT510:
quote:
quote:

the oil pan gasket? does it leak from the rear of the engine? id so it most likely would be the rear main seal
Tbh idk if I want to change the oil pump coz I had the thing to hook the cherry picker to but I put headers and took them off I'm change my oil filter and and sending unit and where is the sending unit located at? And if that don't work screw it I run it till it blows so I can save for my 347
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here's the oil pressure sending unit. It's hidden behind the power steering pump. It's about $30. I'd be willing to bet the oil pump isn't the problem.

-

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
Here's the oil pressure sending unit. It's hidden behind the power steering pump. It's about $30. I'd be willing to bet the oil pump isn't the problem.

-

good pic, better than the one i was gonna show him

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Driftking209
¯
Member # 10458

U r right it was my oil filter but I need to replace the sending unit coz my oil guage just bouncing around
a302juGRnot
¯
Member # 10163

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a302juGRnot  Ford pictures for a302juGRnot    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ur motor looks clean as heck...did you just put put it together recently

--------------------
H/C/I slammed and flushed NOTCHback

H/C/I 1995 mustang gt sold

Posts: 1646 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
MauriSSio
¯
Member # 9943

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MauriSSio  Ford pictures for MauriSSio    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
U r right it was my oil filter but I need to replace the sending unit coz my oil guage just bouncing around

that bouncing around might be more accurate than having it sit in a steady state!!
Driftking209
¯
Member # 10458

quote:
quote:

that bouncing around might be more accurate than having it sit in a steady state!!
Oh so don't change the sending unit?
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

My oil pressure doesnt bounce around

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Driftking209
¯
Member # 10458

So I should just change the sending unit so it don't bounce around?

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com