Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » mass air swap

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: mass air swap
t-top50
¯
Member # 2735

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for t-top50  Ford pictures for t-top50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I recently did a mass air swap into a 87 5-spd GT(hatch). I used a 89 harness with black and grey plug. I changed the map sensor and used a A9P computer.

Issue:

Car cut out randomly. About once a day the car will complete go dead. If driving around town, on freeway, or whatever, it will just go dead. No power or anything. Then it comes back on and I clutch it to get it going again.

Any ideas?

[ September 04, 2010, 02:49 AM: Message edited by: t-top50 ]

--------------------
87GT t-top
00 Saleen (clone)
97 E350 7.3 diesel

Posts: 2522 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Strange issue, however I would check the ground under the hood near solenoid (the one that also grounds to the battery) as well as the relay/ground near computer/kick panel area. Im sure you know but all the Map Sensors are all the same whether it be mass air or speed density. If all else fails run a scan on the system to see what if any codes may come up.
Posts: 22480 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
Pumpkin_Notch
TEAM PLATINUM
Member # 3946

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Notch  Ford pictures for Pumpkin_Notch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have that problem not everyday though and I don't have to clutch start it. It just kicks back on after a second and I'd like to fix my issue also

--------------------
TEAM PLATINUM
87LX: T-TOP PUMPKIN NOTCH
94N.C.F.GT: 418w
www.facebook.com/PLATINUM1320tv

Posts: 2790 | From: RICHMOND/sanpablo | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
t-top50
¯
Member # 2735

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for t-top50  Ford pictures for t-top50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by HaulinAss Motorsports:
Strange issue, however I would check the ground under the hood near solenoid (the one that also grounds to the battery) as well as the relay/ground near computer/kick panel area. Im sure you know but all the Map Sensors are all the same whether it be mass air or speed density. If all else fails run a scan on the system to see what if any codes may come up.

Nice. Here is somethings I did. The ground at the passenger kick panel was stripped. So I put another hole near it and double checked it. It was tight. I will try the ground near the solenoid.

--------------------
87GT t-top
00 Saleen (clone)
97 E350 7.3 diesel

Raelsmar
¯
Member # 9804

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raelsmar  Ford pictures for Raelsmar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It could be the A9P computer. Those were for AODs. But they do work for the 5 speed. The computer itself could be bad. When I had my 86 gt and converted it to mass air, used an A9P computer. Started the car, drove it around, came back and parked it, then the car wouldnt start at all. The next day i went and got an A9L computer and didnt have another problem. Good luck.

--------------------
2010 Genesis 2.0T

If you can read this, then it's burrito time

Originally posted by 2T0NE
Niners deserve to lose

Raiders Lakers A's

Posts: 3768 | From: Vallejo, CA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Change the computer. The voltage signal for the Auto's is higher through the O2 sensor harness, possibly causing the issue. Also, you did unplug the vac line to the MAP sensor and plug it, right?

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
t-top50
¯
Member # 2735

Yeah I did unplug and plug the vac line. Will a A9S work?

--------------------
87GT t-top
00 Saleen (clone)
97 E350 7.3 diesel

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com