Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Looking for shop in the Concord Area to put in 3.73 gear

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking for shop in the Concord Area to put in 3.73 gear
epic4444
¯
Member # 8667

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for epic4444  Ford pictures for epic4444    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looking for a shop in the Concord or San Ramon to put in a 3.73 gear in my 90 5.0, looking for someone who does good work and has decent prices. Would also like to know a rough price of what i should be excepting to pay for this work also. Thanks for any and all advice.
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
300 labor, and i do that.
epic4444
¯
Member # 8667

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for epic4444  Ford pictures for epic4444    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your PM box is full Duncan
CAStang
¯
Member # 9568

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CAStang  Ford pictures for CAStang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I payed close to $500 at rear end specialties in Santa Clara on my IRS Cobra, but that was everything, all parts including fluids, FRPP gears and labor. I don't know if it's any cheaper on a live axle. But I walked away thinking I paid too much.

[ June 25, 2010, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: CAStang ]

Posts: 351 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Nov 2009  |  :
rozwell911
¯
Member # 9917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rozwell911  Ford pictures for rozwell911    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CAStang:
I payed close to $500 at rear end specialties in Santa Clara on my IRS Cobra, but that was everything, all parts including fluids, FRPP gears and labor. I don't know if it's any cheaper on a live axle. But I walked away thinking I paid too much.

Thats a pretty good price actually.

Normally for the gears its about 159-200 bucks jsut for them depending on the brand and what ratio. so with fluids you realisticly only payed about 341.00 on labor/fluids.

thats pretty cheap in the long run..most places charge about 400 in labor alone.

But, i am basing this on live axle install prices...i am not 100% sure of pricing is similar to IRS.

--------------------
2007 GT Vista Blue
-Hurst Short Shifter
-Bassani X-pipe
-Bassani Axle Back
-MAC RAI
-AED Tuned 296.7 RWHP and 333.8 RWTQ

5.0 with some go
¯
Member # 8248

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 with some go  Ford pictures for 5.0 with some go    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
500$ is usually the average price for install with fluids and install kit/bearings from most rear end shops you can find a few mustang shops that will do it for 250-400 for just the labor as the guy quoted you in the previous posts....hell I paid 700 for the install but that included the bearings/install kit and axle bearings ect to get my 4:10's installed.

figure the install kit for replacement bearing/seals and misc parts like the speedo gear and fluids ect is going to set you back 200 alone.
not to mention another 150 for the gears...thats 350$ in parts alone so 500 for the entire install to include everything is actually a great deal.

problem I had with gears is that for 500 you get your gears installed with all the necessary crap but still have your stock t-lock and toothpicks they call axles....for another 500$ you can change out your t-lock and axles to 31 spline equipment.

one thing most people forget to discuss is the tire size when choosing gears...iv found the 4:10's in my 95 5.0 gt aode to be too short with a 26" stock tire I needed to jump to a 28" tire to not hit rev limiter at the end of 1/4th mile since I did not want to shift into od at wot which will kill an overdrive band real quick id recommend 3:73 when running a 26" tire in aod/aode 4:10's if your going to run a 28" tire.

5speeds are another ballgame which I don't even choose to comment on because my stang is an auto and Iv never done any testing on a 5speed.

everytime iv been quoted for a install something else needs to be replaced to finish the install properly so budget yourself with some extra cash when you do get them installed you never know what your axles or t-lock will look like untill you rip it apart.

Posts: 247 | From: walnut creek ,ca | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :
Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
epic4444 give duncan motors a call..he does great work

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
510SN95
¯
Member # 9406

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 510SN95  Ford pictures for 510SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I payed 280 i believe but i took him everything needed to jus drop and bolt back up on the car same day n still to this day no problems. His in oakland if interested give him a call 510 302-7145 sean tell him sergio with the 95 red gt sent u. If ur interested!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com