Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Need Help with Bleeding Brakes

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need Help with Bleeding Brakes
Casey90GT
¯
Member # 6175

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey90GT  Ford pictures for Casey90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I just got done installing a Baer Brakes M2300k Killer kit, and I can't get the rear brakes to bleed properly. I have my buddy sit in the car and pump up the brakes, crack the bleeder open, and I just get a tiny bit of fluid. He pumps them up again, and we get a little less fluid. He pumps them up a third time, and nothing. The peddle is ROCK SOLID, like the bleeder screw isn't even open (nothing comes out). Everything in the system is brand new, and when you blow air through the lines it flows through without obstruction. My front brakes bleed fine. When you drive the car the peddle goes right to the floor. Any ideas?

--------------------
Some day I'll finish it.

Posts: 1064 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
take the rear calipers off the axle and hold them up high with the bleeders at the top, and tap on them, the lines, etc.

I highly suggest a pressure bleeder.

http://www.amazon.com/Motive-Gear-0101-Universal-Bleeder/dp/B000TYJEWW/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1276571706&sr=8-13

(they sell one with a cap made for fords too, but this works on anything with a round m/c cap)

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
did you change the master cylinder too? did you bench bleed it first before you installed it?
Casey90GT
¯
Member # 6175

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey90GT  Ford pictures for Casey90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I did change the master cylinder, and I bench bled it. I think the problem might actually be at the master cylinder though. I just disconnected the port on the master cylinder (front one) that sends fluid to the rear brakes, and connected a line going to a waste bottle to that port. If I sit in the car and pump up the brakes, the peddle will get firm and you can't press it any further, even though the front port is essentially open. This confuses the hell out of me, because doesn't a master cylinder either work or not? It pumps to the front brake ports (rear and bottom), but not the rear brake port (front). I mean, a very small amount of fluid comes out with the first pump, less with the second, and none with the third...just like it does at the caliper.

--------------------
Some day I'll finish it.

Posts: 1064 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Casey90GT:
I did change the master cylinder, and I bench bled it. I think the problem might actually be at the master cylinder though. I just disconnected the port on the master cylinder (front one) that sends fluid to the rear brakes, and connected a line going to a waste bottle to that port. If I sit in the car and pump up the brakes, the peddle will get firm and you can't press it any further, even though the front port is essentially open. This confuses the hell out of me, because doesn't a master cylinder either work or not? It pumps to the front brake ports (rear and bottom), but not the rear brake port (front). I mean, a very small amount of fluid comes out with the first pump, less with the second, and none with the third...just like it does at the caliper.

Do you have and adjustable proportioning valve? If so, make sure it is fully open when you bleed.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
CHECK AN MAKE SURE THE POWER BOOSTER ROD IS THE RIGHT LENGTH AN THE THE MASTER WILL WORK WITH YOUR POWER BOOSTER

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com