Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » questions?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: questions?
¯
Member # 9375

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 96232  Ford pictures for 96232    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 89 mustang gt, 5.0, auto.

1.)My speedo bounces up to between 45-60 anytime I feel like I am going over 15 mph.

2.)My car Idles around 1100 rpm and has no real power and terrible drivebility like it has a MASSIVE vacuum leak. It is throwing a code for the map/baro sensor being out of range and I tested it and it was reading around 1V to high for my elevation, could that be my problem causing the high idle and lack of power? The cel goes off under 1/2 or more throttle and has a little power at those times. Would the IAC have anything to do with this also?

3.)The engine is out of the car right now and I am in the middle of regasketing the whole engine, is it normal for the head gaskets to look like one is upside down? the "front" marking is at the front, but one has the black side up an the other has the blue colored side up, is this normal... the parts stores all say it is but I am skeptical.

4.)The engine will not run off the HO firing order, but instead runs on the non HO standard firing order:1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8, has no dishes in the pistons and has e6se casting numbers on the heads. Is this a 86 mustang engine or just one pulled out of another car? Will this be a problem with smog?

5.)The healdights will shut off if I leave the foglights on, after about 10 min. I have been told that this is a common problem and the switch needs to be replaced, Is this true?

I have already done the following things to it:

-cleaned the maf, It was very dirty.
-changed oil.
-changed trans fluid and filter.
-installed underdrive pulleys, crank and water pump. The "stock" water pump pulley was grooved and eating up the belt.
-Replace the tps and adjusted it to .98V at idle
-Ran seafoam through the engine, not a whole lot of smoke. The engine looks pretty clean on the inside.

Sorry to hit you all with this big list, just getting tired of replacing things on this damn car. Thanks

[ September 30, 2009, 03:13 AM: Message edited by: 96232 ]

Posts: 118 | From: Pine Grove | Registered: Aug 2009  |  :
SVTGOD
¯
Member # 8613

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SVTGOD  Ford pictures for SVTGOD    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well for some of ur questions. The tps is supposed to be checked with the key on engine off tap into the green and black wires. Also did you check compression and fuel pressure?

--------------------
R.I.P
Willie Guzman
my brother
1991 notchback
1997 cobra
2003 cobra

blown95svt
¯
Member # 8893

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blown95svt  Ford pictures for blown95svt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
for your question #3 FRONT MEANS FRONT! no matter if it looks upside down make sure the front is in the fron of the motor!

--------------------
95 cobra blown 331 gr40 suspension
***NEED QUALITY WORK FOR HALF THE PRICE? I DO SIDE JOBS! PM FOR DETAILS***
www.norcalmotorcompany.com

Posts: 1434 | From: roseville | Registered: Jan 2009  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
1. Bad speedo gear and/or cable.

2. The IAC is stuck open. Pull and clean it and/or replace it.

3. As stated, front...is front. Doesn't matter if it's printed backwards...as long as it's in the front. Sounds like it has 8333pt2 gaskets on it, in which they are grey on one side...blue-ish on the other.

4. It is one out of a NON-HO car (crown vic, truck, etc). Yes, if a smog tech knows his stuff...it will be a problem. Most likely, he will barely be able to figure out where #1 is, so you should be fine...as long as it's running correctly.

5. Change the headlight switch.

Tired of replacing things? Buy a brand new Kia. [Wink]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
blown95svt
¯
Member # 8893

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blown95svt  Ford pictures for blown95svt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:

3. As stated, front...is front. Doesn't matter if it's printed backwards...as long as it's in the front. Sounds like it has 8333pt2 gaskets on it, in which they are grey on one side...blue-ish on the other.

4. It is one out of a NON-HO car (crown vic, truck, etc). Yes, if a smog tech knows his stuff...it will be a problem. Most likely, he will barely be able to figure out where #1 is, so you should be fine...as long as it's running correctly.

[Confused] [Confused] kia?

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check the codes, and you can start diagnosing from there -

http://www.my5oh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=923

the CEL coming on under partial throttle may be related to the EGR being stuck, I had a similar CEL flash and the code I found stored was for the EGR.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
5.)The healdights will shut off if I leave the foglights on, after about 10 min. I have been told that this is a common problem and the switch needs to be replaced, Is this true?

This used to happen on my fox. Basically needed a relay installed. I forgot exactly what I changed but I found a write up on it on stangnet. It was pretty easy and like a 10 buck fix.
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blown95svt:
quote:

10 year/100k warranty. [Big Grin]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
blown95svt
¯
Member # 8893

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by blown95svt:
quote:

10 year/100k warranty. [Big Grin]
JOHNB!!!! the new kia spokesman! [worship]

--------------------

¯
Member # 9375

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 96232  Ford pictures for 96232    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lol I am driving a trecel until I get the car back on the road...

thanks for all the replys

Posts: 118 | From: Pine Grove | Registered: Aug 2009  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com