Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » whats the best street radial tire for drag racing

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: whats the best street radial tire for drag racing
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This is a serious question.
I'm planing in 2010 to race in the PSCA Street challange class. The rules for the tires is the
following
Front tires must be DOT Approved and have a minimum tread width of 4.5 inches. Rear tires must be a true "off the shelf" radial tire with a minimum tread rating of "180". Tire size is based off a P255/60 R15. 16-18in "off the shelf" radials permitted but cannot exceed the following dimensions: 10.25" section width, 8.2" tread width, 27.0" overall diameter. The tread of these tires must not protrude outside the body line at the top of the tire. If your car came from the factory with a tread rating lower than 180, bring factory info on the tires with proof tires came with vehicle.
NO DRAG RADIALS, ROAD RACE, RE-CAPS, SNOW TIRES PERMITTED, ALSO, no adding in any manner of chemicals (Track-Bite, etc...) or "Soaking" to soften the tire rubber is allowed and will result in an immediate disqualification...

I'm racing a 91 lx manually shifting 470+hp at the wheels.
I've done a few trial runs and done 12.20's @121mph on bfgoodrich comp t/a radials. 60ft times are sad. What tires would you use? [burnout]
PSCA racing - Street Challange class rules

Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hhmm well I guess nobody does psca here.

I just got back from california speedway to watch the eliminations of the Street challenge class... All I have to say is damn! That is one fast field... The fastest run in the class was 10.7 at 131mph on 10.25" street tires in a 90 lx notchback [Eek!] I wonder what knid of power he's laying down

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would have to go with a BFG Radial T/A; they seem to bite well with just a radial tread

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hit up darkhorse04 on this site.

Justin runs his car at PSCA events, and I beleive he even ran that class this year along with Mustang Madness.He may be able to offer some advice.

Posts: 2349 | From: Yuba City, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

quote:
Originally posted by Notch1320:
Hit up darkhorse04 on this site.

Justin runs his car at PSCA events, and I beleive he even ran that class this year along with Mustang Madness.He may be able to offer some advice.

Thanks buddy, I may just do that [patriot]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com