Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Windsor Stroker: 393, 408, 418, 427, etc?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Windsor Stroker: 393, 408, 418, 427, etc?
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm looking to build a bigger motor and would like an educated reason why to build one displacement over another. I'm looking for lots of torque for the street/autocross, and have a roller FR 351 block ready to build. I am aware of rod ratios and notching the bottom of the bores for clearance, but how much longevity am I giving up with pushing the block more towards the max? This will be a 6k rpm motor and I want to build it once.

Advice on any potential NATURALLY ASPIRATED combos is appreciated. I want to run motor only.

phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
NOthing? I didn't realize how 302-centric this board was.
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
would not build a under square motor, as in not larger than a 408

had a 4.03 bore 427w way back when, revved sloooowwwwwwwww

whats heads, will you run a solid roller, can it be carbed

600hp 408 is not going to do you much good on an autocross course

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

phildog
¯
Member # 1214

I want to run FI, and am willing to run a solid roller, but at 6,000rpm, as I've seen most big windsors run up to, a solid roller is a waste, so it looks like a hydraulic roller it is.

AFR said that at 393, 185cc heads with comp porting is the way to go, but 205 if I go with more cubes.

I'm thinking 393 at this point, but my friend is just raving about all the bottom end his 427 has on the road course, so I'm torn right now.

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
408w, afr 205's at a minimum, why not over 6000rpm???

if you're stuck with 185's, you might as well build a 357, they will choke a 393w, it will run great, have tons of torque, but make no power

my 393w had victor jr's (215cc IIRC), idled around town just fine, with 60# injectors and a blower

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

phildog
¯
Member # 1214

I have been leaning toward the 408,and I was told at sema by AFR that a 205 would be right for a street 408. The AFR rep at sema told me in no uncertain terms that on a 393, a 185 comp ported head (more cnc work and a 205 exhaust port) would be the right head on a 393.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't a 393 the most stroke you can pack without deeply cutting into the bottom of the bores?

As far as the rpm range, it seems to me like most of the motors I have read about in the mustang rags shut off at about 6500 rpm.

In all three cases, I am speaking from outside sources, not personal experience, so that's why I'm asking these questions now instead of later when I've bought the wrong parts.

Thanks for the input, like I said in my first post, I only can afford to build it once.

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This question is better answered over on SBFTECH.COM

I can tell you that there is a guy over there with a 6200 RPM 357 making 600 at the WHEELS naturally aspirated.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
lxhatch5.0
¯
Member # 6319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lxhatch5.0  Ford pictures for lxhatch5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you want a serious set up go to Texas Hot Rods u can see their cars on youtube making serious horsepower n/a

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com