Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 331 build...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 331 build...
dTb
¯
Member # 6939

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dTb  Ford pictures for dTb    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok guys im trying to get the most sound equipment the first time without too many problems because there will always be problems...I'm thinking about the streetfighter 331 stroker kit with a compression ratio of about 8to1...the only thing is that i'm not sure that my valvetrain will support it because i have already blown a rod and gone thru a set of rocker arms on my 306, e cam, x heads, forged pistons, and gt-40 manifold...if i upgrade my valvetrain to support the stroker kit, what would you recomend???

--------------------
dTb

Posts: 568 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jul 2006  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What does the valvetrain have to do with a rotating assembly? [Confused]

Is it a blown or turbo setup? 8-1 is gonna be a dog NA...

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
dTb
¯
Member # 6939

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dTb  Ford pictures for dTb    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ima get it blown...but i wanna make sure that the valve train will be able to support everything else...not gonna charge it rite away tho...should i think about 9 to 1 and juss go lower boost???

--------------------
dTb

Posts: 568 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jul 2006  |  :
98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There are guys on this site that have more then that in Comp ratio and are just fine. Just as 2stangs.

As far as your valve train, what John is trying to say is, it doesn't really matter what your displacement is or antying in the rotating assembly that is really gona effect your valvetrain. There is something else going wrong up there for things to be breaking. Might be the wrong push rod lenght or the wrong rocker studs. or a number of other things. If you just use the same parts on a 302, 306, 319, 331, 342, or 347 you are probably gona get the same results in the valve train, if it aint right. Figure that out first.

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A good set of rockers working with the proper pushrods and cylinder heads are all you need. [Big Grin] (is that better Aaron?? [Razz] )

Go with a head that will accept stud mount 7/16" studs. Match a set of rockers with true rollers and the proper length pushrod for your cam selection, you'll be good to go.

As for the compression ratio, I'd stick with 9-1. That way you can drive it NA until you're ready to step up. [Smile]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

t-top50
¯
Member # 2735

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for t-top50  Ford pictures for t-top50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
A good set of rockers working with the proper pushrods and cylinder heads are all you need. [Big Grin] (is that better Aaron?? [Razz] )

Go with a head that will accept stud mount 7/16" studs. Match a set of rockers with true rollers and the proper length pushrod for your cam selection, you'll be good to go.

As for the compression ratio, I'd stick with 9-1. That way you can drive it NA until you're ready to step up. [Smile]

LOL

no no no my friend. this one is not mine.

Aaron

--------------------
87GT t-top
00 Saleen (clone)
97 E350 7.3 diesel

Posts: 2522 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

It was directed to 98slowhoe [Wink]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

t-top50
¯
Member # 2735

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for t-top50  Ford pictures for t-top50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
opps that right. Wrong Aaron. stupid me. [Big Grin]

[ January 31, 2007, 01:41 AM: Message edited by: MPP*formerly t-top50* ]

--------------------
87GT t-top
00 Saleen (clone)
97 E350 7.3 diesel

Posts: 2522 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
2stangs finaly hurt a piston with a lean out....ooops. I will be up and running soon your video inspired me [Wink] I have had zero issues with the GT40X valvetrain with either the 1.7's or 1.6 ford rockers. I also run comp cams double springs and a bigger cam than the E303(which I also ran with my 1.7 rockers). good luck

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com