Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » question about ring gaps

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: question about ring gaps
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a standard bore block with aftermarket TRW forged pistons. I'm running a blower so I have been told the gaps should be a bit bigger.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes, it would be a good idea. Your ring manufacturer should have specs and guidelines for your application.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
Yes, it would be a good idea. Your ring manufacturer should have specs and guidelines for your application.

The rings are already in the motor. Its very low mileage, I just pulled it apart to clean and check the ring gaps. I dont have the original specs though. I did check the gap and its at .026 and I have been told thats too big but they were never filed any larger. Will I run into problems if I leave them with the gap that large?

--------------------

Abandon him.

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How about you buy new rings. [Eek!] It's already apart.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

the pistons and rings only have around 150-200 miles. I only pulled it apart because the short block has been sitting for a couple years. I dont want to replace perfectly good rings if I dont have to. I got the rings new and know that they were never filed so I dont understand how it could be too far out of spec.

If I need to replace them I found these from Summit and they seem to be a decent set... any ideas?

Summit

[ January 25, 2007, 02:05 AM: Message edited by: asskickn88 ]

--------------------

Abandon him.

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That gap is fine, as long as both (top and 2nd) are not the same. If you've pulled it apart, hone the cyl's and put new rings in it. Obviously something was bothering you or you wouldn't have pulled the engine apart. [Wink]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
phil a
¯
Member # 6951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phil a  Ford pictures for phil a    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
like what john said - new rings with a new hone. don't waste money throwing a set of new rings on with an existing hone as ring seal will be compromised
Posts: 1261 | From: toledo oh | Registered: Jul 2006  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Run it. Don't sweet it.
.022-.024 is the proper gap for a 600RWHP 4" bore blower setup with *most* moly rings. .002-.004 extra is the width of a piece of paper... There will not be any adverse issues with running a .026 gap vs .022.
Slightly less cranking compression & slightly less vaccum at idle (probably not even noticable), but at WOT there will be absolutely no difference in performance. Same with daily driving.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
That gap is fine, as long as both (top and 2nd) are not the same. If you've pulled it apart, hone the cyl's and put new rings in it. Obviously something was bothering you or you wouldn't have pulled the engine apart. [Wink]

I only pulled it apart to to clean it up. I built the motor a few years ago, put it in the car and only put a few hundred miles on it, pulled the heads and sold them to get some AFR's. My daily driver was stolen and I parted out most of the project to buy another car. The block has been sitting for a long time so I decided to pull it apart to clean and recheck the ring gaps. The motor was NA before but because I'm installing it in a blown car I wanted to open the gaps up a bit for that. From what I have seen, a 4" bore needs about a .014 min ring gap so what would be good for a blown car? Also, how much larger do I need to gap the second ring than the first? thanks for the help all, I might go with the rings I posted above.

--------------------

Abandon him.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com