Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Starting issues??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Starting issues??
P1mp1n
¯
Member # 1961

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for P1mp1n  Ford pictures for P1mp1n    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sorry, I know its long but help would be greatly appreciated...

hey guys, need some help trying to figure out a problem with a vehicle im trying to purchase. Its a 1989 GT 5 SPD. The owner knows nothing about cars and said that there car was running fine last week but wouldnt start up one day. He said there was a clicking noise when he turns the key coming from the engine area near the coil/relay, in my experiences in the past its either a really dead battery or the starter relay is bad. So I bring a battery and a starter relay out of my 93 thinking im going to swap these parts and get it started. Well once i get there its making the clicking noise when your trying to start it, so I then continue to put in my parts in the exact same order as done before and when I connected the battery (positive) it like stuck onto the battery and made an annoying clicking noise near the firewall. Im thinking maybe I put something on backwards by mistake, then after I put it on the owner told me they just replaced the starter relay sylenoid today, so that wasnt of any help. So when I put back in there old parts relay/battery etc the car had no power at all. So im thinking the control module is fried now, not sure guys but I would greatly appreciate any input, what parts would you reccomend me taking swapping out to get this problem fixed and the car started?? Any tricks to start it, the owner said they just put in a new alt/starter/battery also.

I was a little confused on the starter relay sylenoid, on my car the positive battery cable and starter are all connected to the same prong, which is how this car was set up, im just trying to figure out also why I couldnt connect the battery without it sparking up when I swapped in my starter relay???

thanks
Scott

Posts: 887 | From: Burlingame | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
925five.0
¯
Member # 3292

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 925five.0  Ford pictures for 925five.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check the battery cables and double check grounds. Also check pos cable from starter to battery.

[ September 29, 2006, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: EASTBAY5_0 ]

P1mp1n
¯
Member # 1961

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for P1mp1n  Ford pictures for P1mp1n    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks, I will do that when I go back up there it was late night and I couldnt really see what I was doing, I talked to the owner and they got the power going again, but still making the same clicking noise, is this also due to possible loose ground and cables?
Posts: 887 | From: Burlingame | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
87Fox916
¯
Member # 6399

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87Fox916  Ford pictures for 87Fox916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
might be bad distributor, coil, cap and rotor, plugs.

--------------------
87 Mustang GT

Posts: 1652 | From: SACRAMENTO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com