Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 383 stroker motor

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 383 stroker motor
Beans
¯
Member # 5711

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beans  Ford pictures for Beans  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
After reading and your guy's info and helpI have desided to build a 383 stroker motor out of a 351 windsor. Here are the specs of the motor let me know if this setup will work.

351 windsor stroked to a 383
4340 FORGED 3.750 STROKER CRANK
5140 FORGED I-BEAM RODS. 6.200 LONG WITH 7/16" ARP BOLTS
Ross racing pistons 69cc =9.0-1
AFR’s 205 head With 2.080 intake valves, 1.600 exhaust valves
Competition Cams Xtreme Energy Camshafts
Camshaft, Solid Roller Tappet, Advertised Duration 292/ 298, Lift .621/ .627
MSD Pro-Billet Distributors.
Harland Sharp Roller Rockers
Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap Intake Manifolds
Demon #650 MD type carburetor with mechanical secondaries.
JBA Headers titanium shorty headers.
Dr Gas Side Exhaust Kit 3"
The NOVI 1500 supercharger uses a 3.7" 8-rib supercharger pulley, which produces 10 PSI

Hope I have everything their but thats my setup and from what desktop dyno tell me I might be able to get 670 horsepower and 541 foot pounds of torque at 6500 RPMs. should be starting it the first week in july after I buy the block. so wish me luck if it works. Thanks for all your help guys.

[ June 12, 2005, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: Beans ]

Posts: 32 | From: Livermore California | Registered: May 2005  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You have alot you need to check on this combo...
The pistons, more than likely, will not work with the 2.08's. Also, the AFR's aren't 69cc's. You CR is going to be alot higher.
If you're running a roller cam, are you retro'n the block...or are you using a factory roller?
The carb is WAY too SMALL...

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Beans
¯
Member # 5711

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beans  Ford pictures for Beans  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well what pistons will work best for the combo and thats the carburator that paxston recomends for their supercharger. I am in the starting stages of the build so I don't need to use those parts exactly so fill free to pitch in with some info. Thanks again.

[ June 12, 2005, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Beans ]

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I always defend carburetors in the carb vs. EFI debate. But, if you're going with a centri supercharger, you will save yourself a LOT of tuning headaches by going with an EFI setup. It's more expesive initially, but it could save you lots of time and money in the long run. If you do go with a carb though, you might want to consider going with a blow-through instead of using Paxton's airbox.

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here's one example of a 331 + blo-thru carb that I rode in this morning ('67 coupe). 500+rwhp is mucho fun!!!

http://fordmuscle.com/archives/2004/08/HighOnCarbs/index.php

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

Beans
¯
Member # 5711

Well I called ross racing today and they said they could make me pistons to match the heads But it will be a little pricy. they also recomended I go with victor Jr. heads for my application since I will be running their piston with a supercharger. I also called the local speed shop and they also told me to run victor jr heads as well since I will have to get special pistons made enless I go with stock pistons for those heads. Still don't know what I want to do with the heads yet so I will have to work on getting the block worked and everything else when I get the cash together and the block. But if you guys have any more helpfull tips please let me know this will be the fisrt time building a full out HP motor. last one I built was mild not wild like this one will be.
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just browsed through your parts list and that carb's not gonna cut it - most definitely.

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Mr JoCo:
just browsed through your parts list and that carb's not gonna cut it - most definitely.

a 650 modded for blow through will and has gone DEEP into the 9's

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
vic jr's all the way.

the 1500 novi aint going to cut it on a 383.

I'd go vic jr intake also especially with a cam with those specs. No dual plane ones.

H beam rods. I have some for sale lucky you. [Wink]

I'm going billet [Cool]

eric you and your b.s. well "modifed" it can do this. blah blah blah blaaaaaah [Razz]

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
Beans
¯
Member # 5711

quote:
Originally posted by Fostang:
vic jr's all the way.

the 1500 novi aint going to cut it on a 383.

I'd go vic jr intake also especially with a cam with those specs. No dual plane ones.

H beam rods. I have some for sale lucky you. [Wink]

I'm going billet [Cool]

eric you and your b.s. well "modifed" it can do this. blah blah blah blaaaaaah [Razz]

Yes I am going to go with a vitor jr intake since its single plane and was thinking about running their heads too. Hey whats the length on the rods? if their the length i need I might take those off your hands.
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
6.2 Scat H beam rods.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
some people have had tuning issues with the vic jr intake with blow through carbs, most of the blow through guys are using weiand xcelerators, a single plane intake that isnt quite as tall IIRC

but some have used the vic jr with no problem

if u havent been to the carb + boost section at turbomustangs you need to visit it
http://www.turbomustangs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=13

i have never dealt with carb blowthrough, so take that with a grain of salt, but there is LOTS of good info on the carb+boost section at turbomustangs [worship]

and sal, eat it buddy, does the name Ira ring any bells??

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

h8louzn
¯
Member # 1075

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for h8louzn  Ford pictures for h8louzn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice link Eric,
and a 650 is plenty big enough if modded right.
Have see it done and helped do it on 2 cars so far and one had a wicked 351 in it with a ati pro charger with 14 lbs of boost.

[ June 16, 2005, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: h8louzn ]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com