Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » AOD swap?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: AOD swap?
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Swapin out the slippin tranny in the 91 LX and was just wondering if anyone had any helpful tips?

To be clear i'm putting in another AOD.

Thanks

[patriot]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Before driving get the TV linkage pressure adjusted by someone that knows what they are doing.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3012 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Fostang:
Before driving get the TV linkage pressure adjusted by someone that knows what they are doing.

You mean in regards to this correct:
http://members.boardhost.com/MustangSteve/msg/archive/121655.html

Sorry... i can wrench but don't have lots of experience w/ these AOD's [Roll Eyes]

Anything else you can recomend or is it pretty straight forward otherwise?

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah that's the TV adjustment. it's said that you can fry the tranny within 1 mile if you drive it without it adjusted correctly (but it's probably just if you have it disconnected completely or really really loose)

not really anything complicated...mark the driveshaft at the rear end so it goes back the same place it came off, to prevent any excess vibration. if you're having trouble getting the new one bolted up, make sure the torque converter is fully engaged with the shafts, it should clunk down on em 3 times just spin the torque converter around and it should engage em all. and just remember that they're pretty heavy, and a crapload heavier when they're full of tranny fluid [Razz] so make sure you have a decent jack. I had to go rent a tranny jack to put mine in, i got it out with a little floor jack and a piece of wood with the car on ramps [Frown]

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt
'65 Mustang 289 - soon to be 306

Posts: 1732 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

quote:
Originally posted by z pyro:
yeah that's the TV adjustment. it's said that you can fry the tranny within 1 mile if you drive it without it adjusted correctly (but it's probably just if you have it disconnected completely or really really loose)

not really anything complicated...mark the driveshaft at the rear end so it goes back the same place it came off, to prevent any excess vibration. if you're having trouble getting the new one bolted up, make sure the torque converter is fully engaged with the shafts, it should clunk down on em 3 times just spin the torque converter around and it should engage em all. and just remember that they're pretty heavy, and a crapload heavier when they're full of tranny fluid [Razz] so make sure you have a decent jack. I had to go rent a tranny jack to put mine in, i got it out with a little floor jack and a piece of wood with the car on ramps [Frown]

Thanks for the advice...all work will be done on a lift and i figuered i'd need a hefty tranny jack [patriot]

I've researched and would it be a set-up for disaster if i try to adjust the TV cable by other methods other than a gauge to get me to a tranny shop to accurately check it or will i risk ruining the tranny?

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've heard it said that you can make it so the tv cable has no slack at closed throttle and that will keep enough pressure to get you to a tranny shop, but don't quote me on it

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt
'65 Mustang 289 - soon to be 306

Posts: 1732 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com