Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Manifold crack, busted header gasket?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Manifold crack, busted header gasket?
94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94Blackout  Ford pictures for 94Blackout    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So here I thought that the flange on the headers to the H pipe were bad. Fixed that, but still heard the ticking sound of exhaust leak coming from the headers. Then I noticed that the last 2 header bolts closest to firewall were missing from the driver side headers. Went and got some new bolts, tightened them in and the rest of the bolts on that side, but alas, still the loud noise.

Any clue if this is just a header gasket gone bad or something worse? The gasket is no more than 2-3 months old.

--------------------
87 5.0 LX: Exploded
94 Cobra: Totalled
94 GT Vert: Rear ended
98 Charged GT: Sold
65-67 2+2 Fastback: Someday...

Posts: 704 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its most likely a bad header gasket especially if you were missing some bolts. Use a length of hose and listen to the area where you hear the noise.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What about the intake manifold crack, you never mentioned that....

Mustangs have headers not manifolds, there is a difference... [Razz]

...............Yeah, sounds like you need some new header gaskets...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94Blackout  Ford pictures for 94Blackout    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anything specific I'm listening for?

Also, is it bad to be driving around with a bad gasket? I've been driving on it for about a week. Never heard anything more annoying than this, almost as bad as open headers! [Mad]

--------------------

94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

I meant intake manifold, but I brainfarted and realized that it wouldn't be making that much noise even if it had busted. [Confused]

--------------------

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Change the header gasket along with throwing some new bolts in. The unfortunate thing about headers...unless you've got locks on the bolts, the will back off eventually.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ahhhhh good ol headers exhuast leaks. Talk about a pain the my ass. Anyway get new gaskets for sure since you were missing bolts. Then if you don't want to spring for new locking bolts use some lock tite. Blue for mild thread lock or Red for maximum lock. I used the blue locktite about 5 months ago and haven't had a problem since. I have a few bottle of the read lock tite if you want one let me know. I'll just give you one.
94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

Thanks for the advice fellas. I looked up the locking bolts, 55 bucks actually sounds like a deal if I don't have to keep tightening these bastards down.

I think for just a quick fix though I will use Jdubs idea and go with the lock-tite for now.

--------------------

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Since you are in San Jose, don't spend $55 on bolts, stop by Apex and get their bolts with sure loc washers. They are like $20-25 and better than stage 8's. Just my .02

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

Well then it is off to APEX I go... thanks for the lowdown! [patriot]

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com