Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » what happened to my car?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: what happened to my car?
white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok tonight when i was driving my volt gauge out of nowhere shot all the way up and all my lights got hella bright. i shut it off and it did it like 3 more times. i figured it wasnt good so i turned on all my acessories to get the voltage to go down. eventually it dropped all the way to the bottom line. i got out and checked my batt. and there was acid coming out of the top of the battery. its a optima red top. i also put in the powermaster 140 amp alt. about a month ago. what went wrong? batt? or alt?

thanx

--------------------
You must be fast, cause I was haullin ass when I passed you.

RedBaron
¯
Member # 4361

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedBaron  Ford pictures for RedBaron    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Voltage regulator topped out, or failed- probably killed the battery too. Kragens or Autozone have charging system testers, if you dont. Good luck!

[ May 17, 2004, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: Gt88 ]

--------------------
1988 4i coupe,
88 gt
85 ttop-

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by white1990stang:
i got out and checked my batt. and there was acid coming out of the top of the battery. its a optima red top.

damn i thought optimas were gel batteries and didnt use liquid, ill have to check mine in the morning, or maybe you just fried the hell out of it and melted it [Eek!] Do you have a stereo
or something that needs that much power from its alternator??????

[ May 18, 2004, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: mustanggt5091 ]

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no i dont have a big stereo. but my batt. gauge was always low so i got that alt.

--------------------

Saint
¯
Member # 2746

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saint  Ford pictures for Saint    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hows your car doing Anthony? long time no see
white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

its doing good, about to get my blower on soon

hopefully

--------------------

Saint
¯
Member # 2746

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saint  Ford pictures for Saint    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thats cool. i sold my car and i just bought a 96 cobra.
Blowfish
¯
Member # 4043

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blowfish  Ford pictures for Blowfish    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ive never heard of an Optima battery doing that. I bought one for my boat and the guy said I could mount it upside down and even drill holes in it and it would still work fine and not leak. Id take the battery back and ask whatup ? good luck

--------------------
All throttle...No bottle

Posts: 38 | From: Castro Valley | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
drews50
CAFords OG
Member # 2670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for drews50  Ford pictures for drews50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
optimas are 'dry-cells' which means they have no liquid in them. i have no idea what could be oozing out of that battery, but i'd certainly take it back to where you bought it.

--------------------
*shiftylx*

2013 Race Red 5.0 "Lucy"
1967 Lime Gold 289 coupe "Ethel"

Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by white1990stang:
i also put in the powermaster 140 amp alt. about a month ago.

Did you put a fuse in-line from the alt to the battery? That should have blown before smoking your battery.

--------------------
Currently Mustang-less...

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com