Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » i have a big stereo system and some tv's

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: i have a big stereo system and some tv's
menlo pony
still learnin'
Member # 4301

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for menlo pony  Ford pictures for menlo pony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what would be the best alternator for me to use, and affordable for a student.
Posts: 776 | From: Santa Cruz y Menlo Park | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleNotch  Ford pictures for PurpleNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the best alt. to use would be a 140 amp powermaster alt. but those are knid of expesive so instead of the alt. i would just use a optima yellow top battery and than get the alt. later

--------------------
**The creator of the infamous purplenotch**

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0508_1988_ford_mustang_lx/index.html

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
130amp 3G alternator works good in my car, got it for $80.

upgrading from the 2G (second generation) to 3G is not a big deal, took less than a half hour to do the swap, the wiring is very easy.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
RAP66
¯
Member # 3360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RAP66  Ford pictures for RAP66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Blind

Where is the 3G or 2G alternator available at??

I need to upgrade mine from stock. I added underdrives and a new stereo, and the stereo is winning.

Thanks

--------------------
91GT Kurgan Tuned:12lbs of boost 492.4 rwhp / 483.1 rwtq
http://killcarb.org/

www.fordstrokers.com

Posts: 893 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
any auto parts store, just ask for an alternator for a `94 or `95 5.0 mustang.

3G means 3rd gen. `87-`93 stangs came with 2G (2nd gen) alternators that put out 65amps (more like 20amps at idle).

to install the newer style alternator, you need to grind a little bit on the bracket that the alternator mounts too, and run a new power line and splice one wire.

check this link:
http://buffhomer.corral.net/custom3.html

it's really even more simple than it sounds, just dont half-ass the connections, make sure you either solder the joints for the wire eyelet joints or use a real crimper for that wire guage size.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
WTF big stereo and tv's??? and you want and AFFORDABLE alternator??? Why skimp out?

You haven't seen a big stereo till you've seen my buds.

It peaks out 8 batteries and 2!! 200 amp alternators.

Has to plug it in at night to houshold current. [Eek!]

It hits so hard it rattles the chocolate right out of you. [dance]

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
rico91stang
¯
Member # 2389

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rico91stang  Ford pictures for rico91stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Fostang:

It hits so hard it rattles the chocolate right out of you. [dance]

Best post evAr
[Smile]

--------------------
"My shit ain't stock. Shits got a cam yo."-Archie Saleen (Union city)

PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleNotch  Ford pictures for PurpleNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hard jokur:
Blind

I need to upgrade mine from stock. I added underdrives and a new stereo, and the stereo is winning.

Thanks

your wining problem sounds like a wiring issue not a charging issue [Confused] just a thought

--------------------
**The creator of the infamous purplenotch**

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0508_1988_ford_mustang_lx/index.html

RAP66
¯
Member # 3360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RAP66  Ford pictures for RAP66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleNotch:
quote:
Originally posted by hard jokur:
Blind

Thanks

your wining problem sounds like a wiring issue not a charging issue [Confused] just a thought
LOL! I meant my my battery is not getting charged. I am on my 3rd battery (was going to upgrade but not this soon). The system is in and needs to be tweaked a bit. I still need either new door panels or speaker mounts made. I will be calling you next week during my days off.

[ May 14, 2004, 04:10 AM: Message edited by: hard jokur ]

--------------------
91GT Kurgan Tuned:12lbs of boost 492.4 rwhp / 483.1 rwtq
http://killcarb.org/

www.fordstrokers.com

Posts: 893 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com