Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » oil pressure dropped to zero!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: oil pressure dropped to zero!
white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well my oil pressure has been getting worse over the last month or so and yesterday right when i got home it hit zero and i shut it off right away. so it should be fine. but what caused this? is it just the oil pump?

thanx

--------------------
You must be fast, cause I was haullin ass when I passed you.

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Either your oil pump is dead, or you have excessive bearing clearances in the engine. Either way, it's rebuild time...

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i shouldnt have to rebuild should i? i should just be able to change the oil pump. the shortblock only has a little over 30,000 miles on it.

--------------------
You must be fast, cause I was haullin ass when I passed you.

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hopefully "JUST" the oil pump. Never good when you loose oil pressure. I second the vote for rebuild time. I'm contimplating a rebuild or even "replacement" of my motor if I can beat this knocking sound I've been getting. [Frown]
chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
rebuild time [patriot]

even if it is something minor like an oil pump (which i doubt [Confused] ) the fact your motor spun several hundred times with no oil pressure cant be good. does your motor build any pressure while cranking now?

ive spun bearings on motors with far less miles.

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

graylx
¯
Member # 3919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for graylx  Ford pictures for graylx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What kind of oil are you running? Has it been changed recently? When the mechanic last worked on my car, he did an oil change for free. [Roll Eyes] He put in either 5w20 or 5w30 (can't recall offhand). I started having problems with oil pressure soon after the change (the gauge would momentarily drop to 0; I would have to rev the engine a little and the pressure recovered). Shortly thereafter, I changed out the oil to some Mobil 15w50 synthetic with a quart of Lucas stabilizer and the pressure has been fine since. Think I may use some Amsoil or RedLine 20w50 for the next change.

--------------------
2012 Mustang GT
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Notch
1995 Impala SS

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do you have a mechanical gauge on it? BTW I broke a oil pump drive shaft in mine about a month ago ran my car for at leats 5 minutes probably more with no oil pressure. I put a pump in it and have been racing the crap out of it and driving everywere since. I have been running Mobile 15- 50 syn for the last 5 years in it so maybe that saved me?

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

marc
¯
Member # 4238

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for marc  Ford pictures for marc    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i had this same problem with my 95. what i did was first checked the power from the sending unit all the way to the gauge, lucky for me it was a bad gauge, so read all the resistance in those wires then have a headache

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com