Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Aftermarket Tach in an Auto

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Aftermarket Tach in an Auto
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I shift my aode manually at the track and I'm not sure if my tach is accurate. Would I look like a homo if I put an autometer tach in my car for track duty?

Note: I have nothing against homos...as long as they don't look at my ass. [patriot]

--------------------
2013 Black on Black 5.0 with Boost N Things - CORN FED 🌽

JohnCM
CAFords OG
Member # 1076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnCM  Ford pictures for JohnCM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dont do it
[patriot]

Posts: 3545 | From: Roseville | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So then what do you suggest I do to make sure I'm manually shifting at the correct rpm?

Thanks

--------------------

PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
who cares what other people think if you want a tach go for it [patriot]
JohnCM
CAFords OG
Member # 1076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnCM  Ford pictures for JohnCM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just a shift lite. [patriot]
JohnCM
CAFords OG
Member # 1076

your car is fast enough to get away with a tach though, so do what u want [patriot]
PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCM:

still doesnt change the fact that the stock tach could be way off RPM wise

[ May 10, 2004, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: PeNiNsula302 ]

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Right...if my stock tach is way off the shift light wouldn't help as I would still be shifting at the wrong rpm.

How bout if I bought the shift light, pills and the rpm activated module? Does that then make the shift light work independantly and not from the stock tach?

I really didn't want a big monster tach mounted in my car cause that may attact more attention to the car then I want.

--------------------

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by PeNiNsula302:
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCM:

still doesnt change the fact that the stock tach could be way off RPM wise
You're not looking at the stock tach, you're looking at the shift light.... [Razz]

You only need to get the shift module if you get the mini shift light by Autometer...The Autometer Pro-lite has the RPM module built in all you need are the correct rpm pill...

If you do decide to get a tch check out UPR's Tach mount for the SN95's, it looks clean... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would say go for it, its not like youre running 15's, your car is quick [patriot]

i think it really depends on what tach you get, and where you mount it. ive seen some pretty ghetto shit when it comes to monster tachs.

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

I think I'll probably get the pro-shift light...

If it will help me shift at the correct rpm regardless if the stock tach is working or not, that's all I need.

Man, before all I wanted to do was get into the 12s. Now that I did, I can't stop thinking about anything that will help me get faster.

I'll gonna get the shift light, a/c delete kit and x2c seats this week I think.

Thanks guys...

--------------------

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by twstd5o:

I'll gonna get the shift light, a/c delete kit and x2c seats this week I think.

You don't need the kit, just buy a shorter belt...

--------------------

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

How bout if I want to remove all the AC stuff, not just bypass the pully???

--------------------

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

You don't need a kit to remove something...hehe...Just unbolt it and take it out... [patriot]

--------------------

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got my monster tach with shift light next to free. Mines an auto, kinda slow but I already told u my excuse. [burnout]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleNotch  Ford pictures for PurpleNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yes its true you prob. dont need the tach because its an auto but if you want it than buy it and you can make it look tasteful not all ugly mounted way up in the air besides who on the street knows its an auto unless they are listening to the exhaust. if thats not your route and you just want to go faster the best combo's that ive seen which dont involve allot of motor work is a set of 4:11'S, E.T. Streets and a good driver [Big Grin] and dont forget about unwanted weight such as interior, a/c, p/s,. also you could get a trunk mount battery for better weight distr. there are allot of little things but easy are gears and tires good luck [burnout]

--------------------
**The creator of the infamous purplenotch**

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0508_1988_ford_mustang_lx/index.html

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Yeah I'm gonna hold off on the motor mods for now.

I'm getting racing seats today and will hopefully get some ET streets in a month or so. I already have the 4.10s. I'm also going to remove all the ac stuff too soon.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com