Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Just need some info on tfs stage #1 cam w/95 cobra computer

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Just need some info on tfs stage #1 cam w/95 cobra computer
CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hi,

I am just wondering how many of you guys running the 94-95 cobra computer (I am assuming it is in a cobra) and have installed a TFS Stage #1 cam? I am most interested in what kinds of problems you have run into after the install. For me after having quadruple checked for vacuum leaks, insuring the drivetrain is set correctly, quadruple checked fuel pressure, timing, scanned for codes(popped it all open three times...not including the amount of times the shop double checked my work to make sure I wasn't missing anything and I still have this low speed bog and cough up to about 2700rpm. It must be the computer correct????

Right now I have idle set for 900rpm and it seems to be happy there. Acceleration from say 2800 to 6200 is great, but part throttle cruising under 2800 is just awful I do have a hose type power pipe so I am wondering if there may be a or small leak in the hosing in the fenderwell or something...what do you guys think?

I think I may solve this with a tweecer, but that is a 550 hit and this may or may not solve the low speed problems.

Any inputs....information on what to look for next ...is appreciated.

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500
2011 Porsche 911 TurboS/AWD
2014 GSXR750
2002 GSXR750 Track Beater Bike
2016 Explorer Unlimted

Posts: 1016 | From: California, Bay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What injectors are you running?....

I forget, but do you have a supercharger?...

I still think it's a MAF issue.... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
9lbpony
¯
Member # 3510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9lbpony  Ford pictures for 9lbpony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd say hit up someone with a TwEECer RT and have them datalog your car's behavior above and below 3000rpm. That should tell you what is going on. If they are fairly knowledgable they might even be able to fix your issues and then you'll know for certain that the TwEECer would be worthwhile.
Rob [5LVENOM]
¯
Member # 2282

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob [5LVENOM]  Ford pictures for Rob [5LVENOM]    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Our computers (94-95 cobras) are probably the worst of all of them. Mine had serious idle issues after the cam swap, but the tuned autologic chip took care of that. Idles rock solid 800rpms.
CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the information. I don't think it's the MAF because I still have the stock one in there, plus I have the stock 24lb injectors there as well. On top of that the problem only came out once I installed the cam in there. So it has to be the camshaft w/the stock 94-95 cobra computer.

*5LVENOM - Which cam did you swap for. I am thinking about taking it apart again to change to a different cam with more lobe separation (steeda #19 comes to mind). The cam is like $200 w/gasket, bolts..whatever comes to around $300 for everything..which is 250 cheaper then a tweecer that may or may not solve my problem with the combo [Roll Eyes] Do you know which parameters with the chip was changed to accomadate the different cam for your car. Let me know if you know..

[ May 11, 2004, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: CobramanPhil ]

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500
2014 GSXR750
2016 Explorer Unlimted

Rob [5LVENOM]
¯
Member # 2282

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob [5LVENOM]  Ford pictures for Rob [5LVENOM]    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm old school man, still running an e-cam with 1.7s (.529 lift), just not dual pattern like yours. Its the 110 lobe seperation our computer don't like. Take it to Byron, 299 for a chip, get it dynoed, and it'll run good, plus you'll know how much power its making. Be probably about the same amount of cash to buy/install another cam, and may not solve your idle issues completely. JMO, Let me know if you got anymore question, I have done this too man, everything from MAF clocking to vacuum leak hunting, to completely re-doing the intake manifold. Its the computer, they are junk.
CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

I would take it to Byron, but as you probably know the local shops are booked until like August and Byron is retiring to bigger and better things as of June 30. I believe Apex is going the Diablo chip route (probably the same with Mustang Ranch) and they don't have an experienced tuner..which makes me think that they would not know how to solve this particular problem with the 95 cobra computer...they are not sure themselves on even the prices as that have not received (I am assuming) the hardware/software yet for it. To avoid this in the future (in always having to go to a tuner and paying more money for a different combo) I was thinking of going the tweecer route, but in the meantime I was also thinking of switching over to a steeda #19 cam just to get my car driveable and then tune myself (learning curve) with the tweecer. Seems like a better route in the long run..plus I am going 331/347 route and it will be a different combo once again.

[ May 12, 2004, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: CobramanPhil ]

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500
2014 GSXR750
2016 Explorer Unlimted

Rob [5LVENOM]
¯
Member # 2282

I will eventually be buying a PMS myself, but I have a mid June appointment at APEX I won't be using, your welcome to it.
CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I will eventually be buying a PMS myself, but I have a mid June appointment at APEX I won't be using, your welcome to it.
I wish I could do that. I will be getting married and will be in Hawaii from mid to the beginning of July...I will pm you for specifics anyway in case I can get it done before then..... [Smile]

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500
2014 GSXR750
2016 Explorer Unlimted

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com