Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Fuel pump question (kinda long)

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Fuel pump question (kinda long)
Javier
¯
Member # 547

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Javier  Ford pictures for Javier    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well i just installed a vortech blower with the supplied Walbro 255 intank fuel pump.. When i had the car tuned the fuel pump wouldnt supply enough fuel at around 4,000 rpm.

The engine would start to lean out and the dyno tune would end their... he tried ading more fuel by lenthening the injector polse widths but that didnt help and we also noticed that the fuel pressure gauge just jumps around. Which it never did with the stock fuel pump...

Are these fuel pumps known for going bad.

and last i ordered a 2003 Cobra dual fuel pump asslembly is this a direct swap in for the 2003 GT's.

Thank's

Javier

Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If your gauge is reading correctly then your pump may be the problem. But since you ordered a new pump I would just wait until you put that one in before you go romping around with the new blower [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Javier,

Well first off these pumps are very touchy with the way they liked to be installed. You have to modify the fuel bucket just right and also shim up the line that attaches at the top of the walbro pump since this new pump is taller than factory. It is a very common problem you are seeing. It just is a result of fuel spraying outside of the line within the tank which results in less fuel to the motor. You can either fix this with reinstalling the pump the proper way or to go with the '03 cobra set up which is a direct bolt in on any returnless style mustang. The '03 setup is spendy but will support better than 550 horsepower.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Javier
¯
Member # 547

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Javier  Ford pictures for Javier    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the thing is that the 2003 pump doesnt install the same way as the 99-01 fuel pumps... the 99 - 01 come with the shims to space it out but the 02 and 03 tanks install different and it dont come with the shims its just a direct swap...

but i think ill just stick with the 03 cobra set up...

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com