Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » MY MUSTANG DAYS ARE OVER? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: MY MUSTANG DAYS ARE OVER?
BUCK_FIFTY
¯
Member # 728

Ford Icon 8 posted      Profile for BUCK_FIFTY  Ford pictures for BUCK_FIFTY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My 94 GT has been cutting off while driving on the street. It first happened 4 months ago when I drove over some railroad tracks, engine died but radio kept playing so I new the battery was okay. I changed the ignition module, bought an MSD coil, MSD wires, new IAC sensor, and changed the fuel filter.....

Up until 3 days ago it drove fine then I drove through a bumpy intersection and the engine cut off, I steered it to the roadside and I started it up again. It happened twice more that day, once while driving and once while stopped at a light. Yesterday it happened twice and I got fed up. I talked to a friend that knew somebody with a similar problem and he said it was the distributor's stator/hall effect sensor. I went today and got one installed and still the same problem? Anyone have suggestions?

[ November 01, 2003, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: Yung Than ]

88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you check the the TFI module again to make sure it was installed perfectly? They can be tempermental if the film gets messed up.

How full is the gas tank?

Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
BUCK_FIFTY
¯
Member # 728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUCK_FIFTY  Ford pictures for BUCK_FIFTY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think the TFI film problem occured more on 87-93's because it was mounted on the distributor close to the engine. My stock module is located away from the engine under the air box and I replaced it with the Dynamod from Performance Distributors. I think I'm going to have the mechanic scan codes tomorrow to be sure what the deal is.

Gas tank is at half. I'm sure that if gas was the problem I wouldn't had been able to start her up these past 2 days and drive 30 miles, but thanks for asking.

[ October 30, 2003, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Yung Than ]

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how's ur fuel pump doing?

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

BUCK_FIFTY
¯
Member # 728

Ford Icon 13 posted      Profile for BUCK_FIFTY  Ford pictures for BUCK_FIFTY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The mechanic got running rich codes 173 and 137. I bought new oxygen sensors thinking it was giving a false reading but you can smell the strong gas out the exhaust.

[ November 01, 2003, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: Yung Than ]

BUCK_FIFTY
¯
Member # 728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUCK_FIFTY  Ford pictures for BUCK_FIFTY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
After 3 days of diagnostic testimg by the mechanic, my 94 GT can not be repaired. I don't understand what the problem could be. It started up, idled and drove fine to the mechanic across town the day I went to get the distributor checked out. They changed out the stator/hall effect sensor and then they started to have a problem with the car turning off after a few seconds after start up. The timing was set to 10*. The car runs really rich and dies after 3 seconds, the engine shakes sometimes before dying. All ignition parts(TFI module, wires, coil, stock ignition box, spark plugs), mass air equiptment, fuel pump and regulator were checked and fuel pressure was checked and the O2 sensors are new. He did point out that the spark at the coil was bluish -yellowish, and said it was suppose to be a blue spark only, not sure what that meant. They are towing my car back home on monday. Some repair, huh.

--------------------
"Funny how cheap ass people have money to do it right the second time, haha!"

Blue Oval
¯
Member # 2548

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Oval  Ford pictures for Blue Oval    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey sine u cant find the problem i would talk to jmcelsk is his name on here i think or its simmilar.but he does side jobs and he can fix anything.he used to work for ford as a master tech. im sure he can fix it all try and find his number.his names Jon by the way.

--------------------
65 Coupe 306, AFR's
89 Cali. Ed. Saleen "sold"
BAB 89 GT
08 Yamaha R6

Posts: 2345 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
BUCK_FIFTY
¯
Member # 728

Thanks I will look him up.

--------------------

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds like a fuel problem, or lack of.

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
fuel problem? they told him that it was running really rich, right?

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
xchpstang
¯
Member # 1206

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for xchpstang  Ford pictures for xchpstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is the car modified? If so, what modifications?

--------------------
04 Cobra, K&N FIPK,

Blue Oval
¯
Member # 2548

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Oval  Ford pictures for Blue Oval    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sorry the name is jmcclesk. [Razz]

--------------------
65 Coupe 306, AFR's
BAB 89 GT
08 Yamaha R6

BUCK_FIFTY
¯
Member # 728

quote:
Originally posted by xchpstang:
Is the car modified? If so, what modifications?

It's a 94 GT with 150,000 on the clock

It came with:
-stock mass air set up, clean MAF sensor
-cobra intake w/65mm TB
-2.5" catback, H-pipe w/cats, 1-5/8" headers

When the car first cut out 4months ago, I upgraded to an MSD coil, MSD wires, ign module from Performance Distributors, new cap/rotor, new plugs, and an adjustable fuel regulator w/gauge.

It drove fine until 5 days ago and I thought it was the stator/hall effect sensor in the distributor. They also installed new o2 sensors. Does anyone know what the correlation with the yellowish/bluish spark at the coil is, as oppose to a pure blue spark?

[ November 01, 2003, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: Yung Than ]

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
maybe fouling injectors?

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The color spark you have, means the spark is weak. check your grounds.

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
BUCK_FIFTY
¯
Member # 728

Would a weak spark cause the rich condition?

--------------------

jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes, that is possable

--------------------

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if jmmclesk can't fix it I'll help you push it off a cliff

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

BUCK_FIFTY
¯
Member # 728

I will check the grounds when I get the car towed from the shop on monday. I will post with the outcome. Thanks for the help.
kwikrob
¯
Member # 835

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kwikrob  Ford pictures for kwikrob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A weak spark means that you're not completely burning your fuel, hence, the rich smell of gas. Jim is right, check your grounds.

--------------------
Slowest car on this board!

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
they probably got messed up going over a bump too fast or at the wrong angle. like train tracks [Wink]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
jmcclesk
Member # 1355

I recived you email, call me this week 916-395-6747. maybe i can point you in the right area. [burnout]

--------------------

KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-:
if jmmclesk can't fix it I'll help you push it off a cliff

LOL ya thats would I would do if he couldn't fix it lol [burnout]

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Blue Oval
¯
Member # 2548

[patriot]

--------------------
65 Coupe 306, AFR's
BAB 89 GT
08 Yamaha R6

Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so, what happened?its good now?

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com