Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 3.55's or 3.73's

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 3.55's or 3.73's
My01Stang
¯
Member # 1044

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for My01Stang  Ford pictures for My01Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm thinking about changing the gears in my 01GT. What will be the best gear setup for me? and, What is the difference between the two? Thanks

--------------------
In the Garage:
2003 Ford Crown Vic
2004 Harley Heritage Softail Classic
2006 Ford F150 Lariat

Posts: 321 | From: Summerville, SC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
5.0Brian
¯
Member # 262

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0Brian  Ford pictures for 5.0Brian    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You should go ahead and get the 3.73's. The 3.55's aren't much of a step up from the 3.27's you currently have. Or, you could even go with the 4.10's (ask JUSTIN about those, he likes them a lot in his 2001). 3.73's will make your RPM's about 200-300 higher than the 3.55's at freeway speeds in 5th.

--------------------
Brian

---Rest In Peace Miles Werho-Dec. 8 2002---

Posts: 561 | From: Antioch, CA | Registered: May 2001  |  :
My01Stang
¯
Member # 1044

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for My01Stang  Ford pictures for My01Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks Dude, Trying to figure out what would be best. How are 3.73's working in your car?

--------------------
In the Garage:
2003 Ford Crown Vic
2004 Harley Heritage Softail Classic
2006 Ford F150 Lariat

Posts: 321 | From: Summerville, SC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
4.10s in a 4.6 is about the equivalent of 3.73s in a 5.0
5.0Brian
¯
Member # 262

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0Brian  Ford pictures for 5.0Brian    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by My01Stang:
Thanks Dude, Trying to figure out what would be best. How are 3.73's working in your car?

Oh, I haven't gotten them installed them yet, so we'll see.

--------------------
Brian

Hemi Ted
¯
Member # 478

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hemi Ted  Ford pictures for Hemi Ted    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go with the 4.10's!!
You wont regret it!

--------------------
2005 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
2003 Suzuki Hayabusa
Anniversary Edition
"Thats Mr. Great Pumpkin to you!"

Posts: 2601 | From: Tomball, TX | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
GRNBNDT
¯
Member # 1090

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GRNBNDT  Ford pictures for GRNBNDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just got the 3.73 and I think you'll like those more... unless you don't do any freeway driving....then you would be cool with 4.10

--------------------
00 GREEN GT 5SPD
TWO CHAMBER FLOWS 3' TIPS
3.73 GEARS
20" X0 BLUNTS (255/35/20)
20% GRN REFLECT TINTED WINDOWS
BILLET GRILLE
2 12' KICKER L7'S
1000.A2 ROCKFORD SUB AMP
BOSTON PRO INSIDES
800.A4 4 CHANNEL ROCKFORD AMP

Posts: 29 | From: Redwood City | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Hemi Ted
¯
Member # 478

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hemi Ted  Ford pictures for Hemi Ted    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
?? What the hell are you talking about??
Have you had 4.10's before??
I did! With a 5.0 too!
The freeway isn't shit!
Talk to peeps with experience.
The freeway is fine on 4.10's. I believe your mis-informed.
You may need stickier tires is about all the problem you'll face!

--------------------
2005 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
2003 Suzuki Hayabusa
Anniversary Edition
"Thats Mr. Great Pumpkin to you!"

Posts: 2601 | From: Tomball, TX | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would roll with 3.73 thats what i will be installing in my 91

--------------------
Support our troops!

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
3:73's RAWK [dance]

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
good to hear, anyways i guess i'm going to have rear end specialties do mine within the next month. [patriot]

--------------------
Support our troops!

5.0Brian
¯
Member # 262

quote:
Originally posted by sic91sleeper:
good to hear, anyways i guess i'm going to have rear end specialties do mine within the next month. [patriot]

You should talk to JUSTIN because he does gears himself (he did the 4.10's in his car, he did some other cars, and he will do the 3.73's in my car). It'll be cheaper than having it done at a shop, and he does a good job (others can vouch for that). Just letting you know if you wanted to do something cheaper.

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

I have never met justin and or never heard of him? Would he do it at his house and for how much?

--------------------
Support our troops!

5.0Brian
¯
Member # 262

quote:
Originally posted by sic91sleeper:
I have never met justin and or never heard of him? Would he do it at his house and for how much?

He doesn't post much here, that's why. I'm pretty sure that he does them at his house now. It'll cost $150 if you provide FMS gears and the proper install kit from Summit (part # RAT 105K).

--------------------
Brian

1sicklx
¯
Member # 1018

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1sicklx  Ford pictures for 1sicklx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you should go with 4.10, i do alot of freeway driving with no problem, but if you wanna race on the freeway there could be a problem.
peace out

the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go with the 4:10's if you want some neck snapping for man. I had 3:73's a always regreted not going with the 4:10's. As for freeway, they aren't that bad, don't listen to people who haven't had them before. Trust me, if you don't mind shifting a bit more, 4:10's are the only way to have fun and haul ass.....

Jack

--------------------
Motorcycles and airplanes. Might be time to get back in the Mustang game.

Posts: 4057 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
POONSTANG
¯
Member # 79

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for POONSTANG  Ford pictures for POONSTANG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by white slut:
?? What the hell are you talking about??
Have you had 4.10's before??
I did! With a 5.0 too!
The freeway isn't shit!
Talk to peeps with experience.
The freeway is fine on 4.10's. I believe your mis-informed.
You may need stickier tires is about all the problem you'll face!

Correct you are sir!!! At 80mph I'm pullin 3 grand....wow!! And for the ability to have the car climb a tree on demand is more than worth it!! Go with the 4.10's
[patriot]

--------------------
98 Chrome Yellow Cobra === Sold
2004 Silver WRX Wagon ==== Modded
1967 Black/Green Mustang Coupe
*being resto-modded as we speak*

Posts: 933 | From: Lawrenceville, Ga | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
STANG'N IT
¯
Member # 1099

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for STANG'N IT  Ford pictures for STANG'N IT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
soo what's up??? 3.73 for freeway? and 4.10 for street? every body has diffrent opinios, which is fine but u guys r confusing me.

--------------------
Just pure love for the Mustang. Doesn't matter what year. Although my heart's with the old school. Gotta love the roots!

Holmes88GT
¯
Member # 1096

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for Holmes88GT  Ford pictures for Holmes88GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have 3.73s and wanna step up to 4.10s its not that bad on the freeway now Iam at 2800rpms at almost 85mph
but between 3.55s and 3.73s go with 3.73s

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It really comes down to what type of car you're installing them in...and what the majority of your driving consists of.
Is it bone stock (or close to it)? Then go with 3.73's or 4.10's...it will definitely help the stock engine.
If the engine has some mods, you can go with 3.55's...and you're not shiftin' all the damn time like you're rowin' a friggin' boat. I've had both...a 97 Cobra with TONS of mods and 4.10's-the car would have been fine with the stock 3.55's. The flip side...3.73's in a stock 91 LX ragtop..definitely had some neck-snap features to it.
As for my daily driver (95 Lightning), I can tell you this...4.10's SUCK on the freeway. It's got 275/60/17's on it..and still turns some high R's.

As for installing ring/pinion set-ups...it ain't THAT hard.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com