Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Commerce   » FOR(D) SALE:   » Complete 5 lug cobra brake rear end swap

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Complete 5 lug cobra brake rear end swap
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Removed from my `97 "GT"

Rearend - $300 (Gears + install kit were $320, truck S spring was $50, cobra brakes were another $200 for the brackets and rotors/pads, not to mention the housing and axles)
Complete from rotor to rotor
Motive 4.30 gears
Rebuilt trak-lok with carbon fiber clutches and truck S spring (extremely tight)
New ford rubber upper control arm bushings in the housing
11.65" vented rotor cobra brakes, rotors and pads are decent, have about 10k miles and ~20 track days on them

Maximum Motorsports HD Adj. lower control arms - $300 ($380 new)
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21_91_93&products_id=523

Ford racing HD upper control arms - $40 ($110 new)
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21_98&products_id=544

Bilstein HD shocks, with grooves done by MM for MM coil over kit (but minus the c/o kit) - $150 ($250 new)
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23_375_380&products_id=1102

Stock catback exhaust, stock rear swaybar, quad shocks, quad shock brackets, bump stops, ABS sensors, and stock rear springs can be included if needed for somebody going to this from IRS.

Rear was installed in the car 1 year and 2 months ago, when I installed it I traded my stock geared rearend for it, and immediately after install I noticed a very mellow gear whine on the freeway, it has not gotten any better, or any worse since that day. I think it's related to the MM lower control arms poly/spherical bushings setup transferring gear noise into the chassis.

About 6 track days and 6 months into that, the rear developed a clunk on/off throttle and between shifts. I honestly don't know how bad it is, but I've daily driven the car every day for the past 2 years and it hasn't gotten any worse, I noticed it after an autocross, I think I caused the pinion crush sleeve to collapse but I'm not sure, I'm more of a nuts and bolts guy, not a mechanic so I really don't know how to diagnose it, all I know is the driveshaft has some play when I jack the rear of the car up.

There's no vibration, and if I didn't have stock mufflers and stock 6 cat "smogginator" midpipe on the car, I doubt I'd be able to even hear the whine or clunks that it makes, the clunking sounds the same as my buddies T3650 in his 2000 GT does when he shifts it to 2nd. I'm extremely anal with my cars, somebody else might not care about it, and if this is going into a track car it's a non-issue, just warning anyone that would want this in a DD that it isn't 100% perfect.

Or asking $700 for everything, I'm putting an IRS in the car as it's turning more and more into my autocross whore.

-
 -
(ignore the tokiko's, they were recently replaced with the above mentioned bilstein shocks)
 -
 -

I've purchased and picked up my IRS, so this is being removed from my car this weekend.

If you want to hear/feel how this runs in my car, I'm driving it to work all week in Camarillo...

Here's a couple videos that shows how the gears sound on the highway.
 -

-

>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PLEASE SEND ME A PM IF YOU'RE INTERESTED, I CAN NEVER FIND MY OWN THREADS ON THE FOR SALE AREA ON THIS FORUM. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

[ March 04, 2010, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: Blind ]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com