Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Commerce   » FOR(D) SALE:   » Story behind a $1200 85 stang

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Story behind a $1200 85 stang
Stangenthusiast77
¯
Member # 6307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangenthusiast77  Ford pictures for Stangenthusiast77    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -
 -
 -
Like the title says. its got the 5.0 motor with an auto tranny, black in color with some dents. it needs a trans rebuild, starts and runs fine, but the trans wont let it move anywhere. i love the car but i am moving to texas in september so it must go. ill go lower on the price because the registration is past due.
The question is : How much should I offer him?
Below is a series of emails conducted between me, the buyer, and the seller:
BUYER : how much is due?
Any tickets on the vehicle that must be cleared?
Do you have the title on hand?
Clean or Salvaged title?
Are you the current owner of the vehicle?
Do you have the required results of the smog test/form due to sellng the vehicle?
Thanks...
Seller : well i have a bill of sale putting it in my hands, no pink slip or anything. and last time i went into the dmv they said $345 to register in my name and everything. no tickets. and it is not salvaged. it does need a smaog as well. i need it gone like this week so make me an offer
BUYER : The problem with that is that DMV needs a signature printed on the pink slip from the owner, otherwise no one can transfer the vehicle over. However, if the pink slip is lost a fee will be applied to recover another copy. The time it'll take will be of huge inconvenience. Bill of sale is just as good as a receipt to the prospective buyer. What happen to the pink slip? Does the other owner still have it? Does the other owner live in CAlifornia?
Seller: Well basically here is what happened.
My uncle got the car in apple valley a few years back.
he got it from an impound yard without a pink slip or anything.
just a bill of sale from the dude who owned the yard. and he never registered it in his name.
so when i purchased it from him he simply wrote me a new bill of sale with the impound guy's name on it saying it was sold to me. so when i took it into the pomona DMV the lady said for me to get a new pink slip, new liscense plates, and to get it put in my name would cost around $412.
And yes the cars previous owner lives in Ca.
i can give you that bill of sale and you can do what you want with it.
i needed it gone yeasterday and i do not want to deal with any of the bullshit that goes along with selling a car.
so just make me an offer so it can get out of my damn driveway.
Thanks.

--------------------
Currently wanting to trade my aero-nose stang for a Four-eyed. Rolling car for Rolling car.

Posts: 68 | From: Los Angeles County | Registered: Dec 2005  |  :
BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
$500 if you're feeling generous.

You can get clean title, clean body, good condition titled fox mustangs all day long for $1200.

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd be careful with this one. I got an 88 GT off ebay a few years ago. I drove 7 hours to pick it up and when I got there he didn't have a title for the car.... oops, forgot to mention that before I got there. He gave me the paperwork for a lost title, that was the best we could work out. When I got home and went to DMV I found out he never finished putting it in his name and I had to get a bill of sale from one owner to him to finish it...... that guy was in iraq and couldn't sign the paper. I ended up getting it taken care of but it was a pain in the ass, you could be in for worse unless your very careful. Don't let the fact that you really want the car screw up rational thought, there will be other cars that are good deals out there. If you can get it cheap enough the paperwork wont matter as much, you could always part it out to make your money back. Also remember, the 85 auto cars were CFI injection, not carbed and non roller cam too..... good luck [patriot]

[ August 21, 2007, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: asskickn88 ]

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dont do it. Even tow yards give you lien papers of some type. I had the most awful time getting the pink slip to a car one time like this. They are going to want the trail of signatures. Only way I'd put up with the hassle is if dude would take 4-500, then I would say do it. Not mention the car looks thrashed. And its a 85 (slower engine) and a AOD, 7.7 rear end and may not have the true duals. Quite a few reasons I would pass on it. but not having the pink/lien papers kills it for me

wait and it doesnt roll? tranny shot? Man I'd pass like Peyton Manning on this one.

[ August 21, 2007, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: N8 ]

RedBaron
¯
Member # 4361

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedBaron  Ford pictures for RedBaron    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If it hasn't been registered in 5 years, it falls off of the DMV computer- along with all the stupid fees. How long has it been?

--------------------
1988 4i coupe,
88 gt
85 ttop-

jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It is 7 years. Not 5 years. I just went through it with dmv.

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
RedBaron
¯
Member # 4361

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedBaron  Ford pictures for RedBaron    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Good to know DMV is working on upping it's profit margin....

--------------------
1988 4i coupe,
88 gt
85 ttop-

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by RedBaron:
Good to know DMV is working on upping it's profit margin....

Shit, when dont they?

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
Team SOLO
Chevy Powered Stang
Member # 722

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Team SOLO  Ford pictures for Team SOLO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by jmcclesk:
It is 7 years. Not 5 years. I just went through it with dmv.

I heard recently that this is no longer the case...

--------------------
'88 Mustang Coupe: 8.02 @ 170

Posts: 3887 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BCINGUU:

You can get clean title, clean body, good condition titled fox mustangs all day long for $1200.

Next time you find these deals....send them ALL my way.

The only person I know if on this planet that gets clean title, clean body and good condition 5.0 fox mustangs ALL DAY for $1200 is Lee.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:
Next time you find these deals....[/QB]

I might be out of touch, but I bought my clean convertible GT about 3 years ago for $2k. Here are a few convertibles on craiglist currently (just random posts I picked as a sample), assuming that hatches and notches are cheaper, though I didn't see any.

1990 5.0 Mustang Convertable - $2400 (sonoma)

1990 ford mustang lx convertible-128,000miles-5speed - $2700 (willow glen / cambrian)

88 Ford Mustang 5.0 Convertible $2000 O.B.O. - $2000 (fairfield / vacaville)

--------------------

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I agree for 2K-2500 you can get a DECENT convertible fox.

But not for $1200.

--------------------

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

You can get salvage title, primered body, bad condition fox mustangs all day long for $1200.

There I fixed it for you..
BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

[Big Grin]

I figure notch/hatch foxes go for about $500 less than verts.

But I guess prices are going up. Still, my point is that this particular car is not worth $1200 by any standard.

--------------------

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

quote:
[Big Grin]

I figure notch/hatch foxes go for about $500 less than verts.

But I guess prices are going up. Still, my point is that this particular car is not worth $1200 by any standard.

Notch and hatches go for MORE than verts, typically.

I agree that car is not worth $1200, however.

--------------------

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

where u gettin ur fifties at? for that cheap shit let me know

--------------------
http://www.fastgms-teamfast.com
http://www.facebook.com/aop.fresno?ref=ts&fref=ts
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i'll give him $1, some cheap alky to get him drunk to take the $1, some soap and some touch up paint to make the car even worth $1 if that [Big Grin] [Razz]

--------------------
http://www.fastgms-teamfast.com
http://www.facebook.com/aop.fresno?ref=ts&fref=ts
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
Stangenthusiast77
¯
Member # 6307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangenthusiast77  Ford pictures for Stangenthusiast77    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
WOW! I guess Ima have to pass on this one. Just to add more gasoline to the fire, I'm going to throw the vin number outthere to see if anyone can do more research on it. Thanks guys, N8 nice comment. Here she is: 1FABP28M9FF254311

--------------------
Currently wanting to trade my aero-nose stang for a Four-eyed. Rolling car for Rolling car.

JBeezy53
CAFords OG
Member # 3960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JBeezy53  Ford pictures for JBeezy53    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I bought an 85 stang back in 04 and it had CFI with an AOD. Besides a ding in the door it had a really straight body and a good interior. Doors all closed perfect on it and it rode real smooth. Only problem was that the AOD wouldn't shift out of first, but with a quick filter/fluid change it work alright all through all gears. I only payed $400 for it and drove it home 15 or so miles.

I'd pass on the car your looking at. Being that its an 85 with the shitty CFI and an AOD you'd have trouble even parting it out to get your money back.

--------------------
89 Gt
98 Cobra
88 Notch
05 GSXR 750 Blk/Yel

Posts: 1782 | From: Sacramento, Ca | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

quote:
Originally posted by Stangenthusiast77:
WOW! I guess Ima have to pass on this one. Just to add more gasoline to the fire, I'm going to throw the vin number outthere to see if anyone can do more research on it. Thanks guys, N8 nice comment. Here she is: 1FABP28M9FF254311

Last smog, done in rialto, failed the initial test and then passed the secondary and that was 8/22/2001

--------------------

Stangenthusiast77
¯
Member # 6307

thanks turbo. This could mean many things. Did he go to another shop get it to pass smog illegally? On the record you viewed this, turbo, does it list how soon, after he failed the test, he reattempted the second test. Time between the initial fail and the one that passed may give some light to the fact if he did things the right way, or quick fixes. Also, if that was his last test, you are required to have it checked again the year after, 2003. Car could have been sitting since 2003, if there are no other records of smog maybe?? Don't know...

[ August 22, 2007, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: Stangenthusiast77 ]

--------------------

1988notchback
¯
Member # 4498

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1988notchback  Ford pictures for 1988notchback  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
go to www.smogcheck.ca.gov and go to smogcheck in the left column and then click test query history for a vehicle, enter vin or license # and it tells u the smog history, dates passed failed,aborted, and cert #s
1988notchback
¯
Member # 4498

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1988notchback  Ford pictures for 1988notchback  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
any questions let me know
speeddhb
¯
Member # 6593

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for speeddhb  Ford pictures for speeddhb    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just my .02, I dealt with a piece of shit car I wanted for a daily driver that I got for $400 (no title,just a bill of sale) and it was definetly not worth all of the hassle I had to go through to get it registered and smogged and blah, blah, blah. If you are turning it into a track car than by all means have at it, but if you want it for a driver/street car you better get it for $100

--------------------
IT's fast, I have the 17sec time slip to prove it!

Stangenthusiast77
¯
Member # 6307

I have decided to take the advice of the fellow members of california fords and leave it alone. Someone mentioned earlier that this vehicle came equipped with a nonroller engine. Another factor that draws the attention away from enthusiasts. Thanks all who contributed their .02 cents.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com