Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Events/Shows/Cruises   » New Year's Dyno Day at DNR Performance (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: New Year's Dyno Day at DNR Performance
unoerun408w
¯
Member # 6141

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for unoerun408w  Ford pictures for unoerun408w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My bad

--------------------
fast and clean
R. C. Racing and Restoration
Go BIG or STAY the FUCK home
Wutchu Got

Posts: 172 | From: cali, bay area, 510 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
stangrus95
¯
Member # 10653

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangrus95  Ford pictures for stangrus95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ima try to be there

--------------------
Damned if you do...
Damned if you don't...

1995 5.0 mustang gt-275/321--kid napped :(
1990 5.0 mustang gt-sold

SAV SVT
¯
Member # 7848

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAV SVT  Ford pictures for SAV SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm gonna be there, in the wifey's GT! Hope to see 240-260 RWHP!

--------------------
-SAVAGE HABITS-
SVT COBRA VERT

norcalfiddy
¯
Member # 11207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcalfiddy  Ford pictures for norcalfiddy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by GETLUCE:
Yea I don't know if we will be able to do any diesel trucks ..... The fumes might be to bad cuz RWD are backed onto the dyno and all the fumes will stay in shop and diesel trucks fume alot..... Sorry

damn... alittle black smoke doesnt hurt.. [Razz]

lol no problem, i should still be stopping by.

--------------------
600HP 1996 7.3L powerstroke single cab short bed race truck

Posts: 3393 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2011  |  :
stangrus95
¯
Member # 10653

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangrus95  Ford pictures for stangrus95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was the first 1 there

--------------------
Damned if you do...
Damned if you don't...

1990 5.0 mustang gt-sold

BruhBrahBrad
¯
Member # 9497

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruhBrahBrad  Ford pictures for BruhBrahBrad  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lol my dyno confirmed my suspicions. Looks like a damn polygraph test. but hey dont you run our cars in 4th gear on the dyno? Dude told me 3rd gear and i was like huh? I did 2 in 3rd and one in 4th, my 4th gear pull was higher.
Boss 327
¯
Member # 9143

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boss 327  Ford pictures for Boss 327    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Mach 5oh:
lol my dyno confirmed my suspicions. Looks like a damn polygraph test. but hey dont you run our cars in 4th gear on the dyno? Dude told me 3rd gear and i was like huh? I did 2 in 3rd and one in 4th, my 4th gear pull was higher.

It should always be ran in 4th.

--------------------
"You'll never truly understand building engines until you can make power N/A. FI overshadows an engines defficiency." Al Papito

BruhBrahBrad
¯
Member # 9497

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruhBrahBrad  Ford pictures for BruhBrahBrad  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
heres my pull on paper....  -
Boss 327
¯
Member # 9143

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boss 327  Ford pictures for Boss 327    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[Confused]

--------------------
"You'll never truly understand building engines until you can make power N/A. FI overshadows an engines defficiency." Al Papito

stangrus95
¯
Member # 10653

Hey that's what I thought also that it should be in 4th gear n the guy told me 3rd gear I wanna go back n havem give me a free pull n try 4th gear cuz my reading were less then what it was when I got tuned

--------------------
Damned if you do...
Damned if you don't...

1990 5.0 mustang gt-sold

stangrus95
¯
Member # 10653

Hey that's what I thought also that it should be in 4th gear n the guy told me 3rd gear I wanna go back n havem give me a free pull n try 4th gear cuz my reading were less then what it was when I got tuned

--------------------
Damned if you do...
Damned if you don't...

1990 5.0 mustang gt-sold

98 ROUSH
¯
Member # 10309

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98 ROUSH  Ford pictures for 98 ROUSH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by stangrus95:

What did you put out?

--------------------
Built 2v
Stroked, Cammed and Blown
Advanced Auto Built & Kurgan Tuned

Posts: 4678 | From: North Hayward, Cali | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
BruhBrahBrad
¯
Member # 9497

quote:
Originally posted by stangrus95:

Was your dyno real choppy like mine also? Yeah I want 2 free runs! I did two in 3rd
Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangn5oh  Ford pictures for Stangn5oh  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Me and a friend did our runs in 3rd gear aswell and it seems to be in the right area. Yea i understand everybody expects more power from there cars even i did but im cool with it.

But i also asked the same question to them "do i pull on third or fourth" they seemed very unsure and they asked a couple workers and came up with 3rd gear. Being that im running 3;73 gears i felt 3rd would be better for myself so i ran with with it.

Pulls are only 40 bucks "great deal" if you paid full price then yea id want a free pull too but c'mon they are a import shop, gave great service, no hassles, and did the best they can.

it is not a fact that they did wrong, so lets not grill them.

You said you did 2 3rd gear pulls and 1 4th gear pull correct.
On your graph you have 2 firm pulls and 1 jagged pull which would mostlikey be the 4th gear pull so that kinda leans me that the 3rd gear pull is correct

My third run was also the highest, followed by my second, then my first

[ January 08, 2012, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: Stangn5oh ]

--------------------
88 lx
17 Renegade turbo
18 Compass 4x4

Hit the gasser, go faster, all u heard was dual exhaust n flowmasters.

Posts: 1643 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2011  |  :
stangrus95
¯
Member # 10653

No mine wasn't choppy that's werid urs was?
What car do u have?

--------------------
Damned if you do...
Damned if you don't...

1990 5.0 mustang gt-sold

Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangn5oh  Ford pictures for Stangn5oh  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
O dude im thinking,
your rpms were too low in fourth gear and you mashed the peddle and your car bogged up.
thats perfectly normal if thats what happened

--------------------
88 lx
17 Renegade turbo
18 Compass 4x4

Hit the gasser, go faster, all u heard was dual exhaust n flowmasters.

Posts: 1643 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2011  |  :
BruhBrahBrad
¯
Member # 9497

quote:
Originally posted by Stangn5oh:
O dude im thinking,
your rpms were too low in fourth gear and you mashed the peddle and your car bogged up.
thats perfectly normal if thats what happened

I've got 373 gears and it didn't bog at all. I brought it up high enuff in 3rd to go to 4th easily. I'm not really blaming the dyno as much as I'm confused about why my car did that
MauriSSio
¯
Member # 9943

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MauriSSio  Ford pictures for MauriSSio    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
usually a dyno in higher gears(4th vs 3rd) SHOULD give you higher and more accurate numbers AND a smoother graph. If you dyno in too high a gear (like an overdrive gear, or over 160mphs or so) though you MIGHT show lower numbers at the top though because the rear will be eating up some more hp with the heat it generates.

if you have a 4 speed auto you dyno in 3rd.

5 or 6 speed manual you dyno in 4th.

basically try to dyno in the transmission gear closest to 1:1 ratio

steep gears can also cause wavy graphs.

GETLUCE
¯
Member # 8752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GETLUCE  Ford pictures for GETLUCE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
From my understand 5 speed cars are dynoed in 3rd gear 6 speed cars are dynoed in 4th gear ..... I had the black notch at DNR and when I dynoed my car last night I dynoed it in 3rd and didn't have any issues ....
MauriSSio
¯
Member # 9943

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MauriSSio  Ford pictures for MauriSSio    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by GETLUCE:
From my understand 5 speed cars are dynoed in 3rd gear 6 speed cars are dynoed in 4th gear ..... I had the black notch at DNR and when I dynoed my car last night I dynoed it in 3rd and didn't have any issues ....

Why would you dyno a 6sp car in a different gear than a 5 speed car?? 1-4 in both those trannys are typically the same or similar. 5sp have only 1overdrive gear (5th) and 6 speeds have 2 (5th and 6th). 4 speed autos are typically dynoed in 3rd.
Only exception to these rules that I know of are the 2011and up 5.0 6sp. Since those transmissions only have one overdrive gear (6th)

GETLUCE
¯
Member # 8752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GETLUCE  Ford pictures for GETLUCE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ January 09, 2012, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: GETLUCE ]

GETLUCE
¯
Member # 8752

4th gear pull on this ws6 on spray

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBkxP-pyRpM

GETLUCE
¯
Member # 8752

5 speed 3rd gear pull

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5sNeeltKg8

GETLUCE
¯
Member # 8752

civic with a k20 dyno in 4th gear 6 speed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwFvXV_P0lw

SwEeT03Gt
¯
Member # 10283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SwEeT03Gt  Ford pictures for SwEeT03Gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MauriSSio:
usually a dyno in higher gears(4th vs 3rd) SHOULD give you higher and more accurate numbers AND a smoother graph. If you dyno in too high a gear (like an overdrive gear, or over 160mphs or so) though you MIGHT show lower numbers at the top though because the rear will be eating up some more hp with the heat it generates.

if you have a 4 speed auto you dyno in 3rd.

5 or 6 speed manual you dyno in 4th.

basically try to dyno in the transmission gear closest to 1:1 ratio

steep gears can also cause wavy graphs.

+1 dyno's need to be at a 1:1 which is 4th on 5th n 6th speed cars [patriot]
Posts: 4484 | From: -NicKlE n DiMe- | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com