Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » Are Hoosier QTPs any good?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Are Hoosier QTPs any good?
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm thinking of trying those out...

--------------------
2013 Black on Black 5.0 with Boost N Things - CORN FED 🌽

cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cummins  Ford pictures for cummins    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes very good. Are you looking for something other than MT's? You planning on using these for the street or just for drags?

[ June 10, 2006, 01:49 AM: Message edited by: cummins ]

--------------------
Your definitely jealous of my strength and brains. - 68_427_Fastback

Cummins looks like the Wendy's girl......without the pig tails. - JT

Posts: 3441 | From: The Rice Fields | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ June 10, 2006, 01:53 AM: Message edited by: twisted54 ]

--------------------

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

quote:
Originally posted by twisted54:
quote:
Originally posted by cummins:
Yes very good. Are you looking for something other than MT's? You planning on using these for the street or just for drags?

Probably just for drags...the car doesn't see much action on the street anymore.

I saw on another website that people seemed to like them but I haven't had any experience with them yet.

Yeah I wanted to try something different...so far I've use the ET Streets and MT DRs.

Thanks

--------------------

cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cummins  Ford pictures for cummins    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If just for drags then why not just use straight slicks? Screw all that dot stuff. If you want to try something new try M&H they are awesome tires.

--------------------

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

quote:
If just for drags then why not just use straight slicks? Screw all that dot stuff. If you want to try something new try M&H they are awesome tires.

I haven't done the axles and longer studs yet... I'll probably go one more season with the DOT tires and then move up to slicks.

--------------------

cummins
¯
Member # 5931

quote:
quote:

I haven't done the axles and longer studs yet... I'll probably go one more season with the DOT tires and then move up to slicks.
Longer studs? You need them for running sub 10's but I don't think you need them to use slicks if going 10's and higher.

Take a look at these tires if you want to try a new dot.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MNH%2DMHD%2D04&N=314947+115&autoview=sku

--------------------

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

quote:
quote:
quote:

Longer studs? You need them for running sub 10's but I don't think you need them to use slicks if going 10's and higher.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MNH%2DMHD%2D04&N=314947+115&autoview=sku

Those look pretty good...the tread pattern looks similar to the QTPs (if you can even call it a tread pattern). [Big Grin]

I thought the rule was that the stud had to screw into the hex section of the lug and be in at least least half the diameter of the stud.

The tech guys have never questioned me on this and I always assumed it was because I had DOT tires. Anyways, I'll probably go to slicks, 31 splines and a spool next spring.

--------------------

cummins
¯
Member # 5931

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Those look pretty good...the tread pattern looks similar to the QTPs (if you can even call it a tread pattern). [Big Grin]

I thought the rule was that the stud had to screw into the hex section of the lug and be in at least least half the diameter of the stud.

The tech guys have never questioned me on this and I always assumed it was because I had DOT tires. Anyways, I'll probably go to slicks, 31 splines and a spool next spring.

I dunno. Now that I think about it I believe that wheel stud length has nothing to do with ET or tires so I am probably wrong in my previous reply. I believe it's supposed to be the same for all cars in that the threaded portion of the stud must protrude at least the length of the stud diamter into the hex portion of the lug nut. I've never been questioned since my studs stick out far enough. My ole lady never questioned my stud length either.

[ June 10, 2006, 03:01 AM: Message edited by: cummins ]

--------------------

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you get the QTPs, have the money saved up for your axles before you go to the track.

On a well prepped track, they will snap an axle just as fast as a true slick will.

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
11.662 @ 116.65 1.57 60ft. N/A
10.227 @ 134.59 1.41 60ft 200 shot 3600lbs
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

Posts: 1264 | From: Back in Redding CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -
 -

That is a 31 splne Eaton Posi launched on QTP's, any questions

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

quote:
Originally posted by TheBrain:
 -
 -

That is a 31 splne Eaton Posi launched on QTP's, any questions

That good huh? [Big Grin] Luckily I've got an aode and can't launch too hard...

--------------------

ls1_doc
¯
Member # 6083

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ls1_doc  Ford pictures for ls1_doc    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sound like its time for a converter then [Big Grin]

[ June 22, 2006, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: ls1_doc ]

--------------------
02 Ws6 -- Stock :)

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

quote:
Originally posted by ls1_doc:
sound like its time for a converter then [Big Grin]

got one but no transbrake yet... [Frown]

It can launch off the foot brake at around 2500 and flash to around 4k but would smoke the bald tires I had.

--------------------

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

I will admit that I dumped the clutch from about 6500 rpm that time. Sure would have been a sweet launch had it held together. You can see the damage to the carrier, it also broke the housing. But my Moser axles were still perfect [Big Grin]

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Did you wheel hop the sucker?

--------------------

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

The car didn't move far enough to even trip the first staging light, I had shallow staged and it only moved about 4"

Not enough time to wheel hop it [Wink]

Eaton's SUCK, plan and simple

Still tryng to break the Detroit locker, no luck after almost 3 years

[ June 25, 2006, 02:33 AM: Message edited by: TheBrain ]

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ August 10, 2006, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: season'd 88 ]

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
eaton's don't suck. 6500 on the launch, yea ok, but didn't you also run a shot of the juice to get you out the hole? YEAH! I bet that feels cool

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 166 Merlot:
eaton's don't suck. 6500 on the launch, yea ok, but didn't you also run a shot of the juice to get you out the hole? YEAH! I bet that feels cool

yeah if you have it why not use it the whole way

and eatons do suck, blown one up like brian did and burnt one up within 1k miles [Roll Eyes]

spool, detroit, or tracklok [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Deroit if You have the money and drive it on the street.

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

cummins
¯
Member # 5931

I agree go full Detroit. I run one on 40" boggers with a 4:1 tcase and 4.88s gears through a 700r4 and I have yet to break one doing numerous wot wheel standing digs.

--------------------

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

quote:

Eatons DO suck, they are useless pieces of shit.

That was on motor ONLY.

I have pounded the absolute crap out of my Detriot with no problems. Had I known, I would have saved about $800 by buying the Detriot to start with.

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how's the detroits streetability? is it loud anything that would make u not want to drive it everyday?

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

quote:
how's the detroits streetability? is it loud anything that would make u not want to drive it everyday?

I used to drive mine everyday, it is hardly noticable unless you are turning while backing out of a parking place, then it can clunk pretty hard

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com