Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » Give Me Some Pointers!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Give Me Some Pointers!
LAST302
¯
Member # 808

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAST302  Ford pictures for LAST302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am planning on racing for team Ford in June. Never been down the strip before because I have been working on this car for years but now she is ready. Its a 95 GT convertible. Built 306, vortech 10# blower, tremec 3550, 8.8 rear with 3:73, car dynoed at 466rwhp with 430 ft. lbs. torque. The car is set up for street meaning it has stiff suspension which wont help but oh well. I have 18x9.5 rims with BF Goodrich G-Force KD, size 295/35/18 in back. Throw me some helpful advice. I plan on going to the strip before hand to practice and because I have been waiting four years while building this thing to run her down the track and the time has finally come!!!!! Tire pressure, do I do a burnout, shift points? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. What do you predict the car might run with what I have done? Take into account the heavy weight of a convertible and I weigh about 230. Thanks guys. Scott [burnout] [burnout] [burnout] [burnout]

[ April 30, 2003, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: LAST302 ]

Posts: 1147 | From: Disco Bay | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd say rule #1 is don't be a hero with that combo until you get used to it [Big Grin]

Is there a rollbar? even at the 13.9 level it's required in a 'vert. sucks I know.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

LAST302
¯
Member # 808

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAST302  Ford pictures for LAST302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You gotta be shitin me!! Rollbar? Is that at Sac or Sears, both? Or is it nationwide. I cant believe that!! I could sware that in the past on tv I have seen verts without rollbars going down the track running faster than 13.9. What about Wiked281, Harold?

[ April 30, 2003, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: LAST302 ]

RO2USH
¯
Member # 2002

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RO2USH  Ford pictures for RO2USH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, ya gotta have a rollbar, and that is at any NHRA track, nation wide, if ya plan on goin faster than 13.999. However, look at the bright side, and if ya happen to hit 11's, ya gotta get a cage wether or not it's a Vert. Also, ya gotta have a helmet.

--------------------
2002 Roush FR500
2004 Cobra
1965 GT 350 Clone
2003 Ducati 999

Posts: 286 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I say get a helmet and go make a pass. don't get crazy drive the car in control and if the number come up good and they tell you need to leave and get a rollbar, be nice about it and leave say your sorry it was the first pass ever on the car and go home and have a rollbar put in.

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Like I mentioned in the previous thread: tires, tires, tires and more tires! Buy/borrow/rent a set of sticky tires if you have to. Sticky tires will do wonders, even for a rookie driver. The next tip when racing someone is to leave on the last yellow light, not on the green. Beating the guy in the other lane at the light is like "free" ET over him.
BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT  Ford pictures for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the rollbar is a must in a vert 5.0 i tried to convince the tech guy at lacr that my vert ran 14.5s so i could get off one pass but it didnt work and they wouldnt let me make one pass so it kinda sucks. I priced around 8pt rollbars for the saleen and the best price i have gotten was 700 bucks installed i hope this helps.
LAST302
¯
Member # 808

quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
Like I mentioned in the previous thread: tires, tires, tires and more tires! Buy/borrow/rent a set of sticky tires if you have to. Sticky tires will do wonders, even for a rookie driver. The next tip when racing someone is to leave on the last yellow light, not on the green. Beating the guy in the other lane at the light is like "free" ET over him.

But Sawson, am I even going to be able to run the car? I would sure hope I can beat a 13.99 or I am going to put a bullet in my head after all the money I have put into this thing!!
hopdup95
¯
Member # 2381

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopdup95  Ford pictures for hopdup95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You'll definitely need a roll bar. Just try to creep by the techs and keep your car quiet. I was running 13's all night last night with a 95 'vert and they didn't say anything. However this is a bigger race so just watch out. Hell with that much power you should have a cage anyways. You crazy???
Posts: 486 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
F8LPONY
NORCAL-LS1
Member # 11

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for F8LPONY  Ford pictures for F8LPONY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hahaha

At first I was reading your combo and I got a lil worried till you said you had stiff suspension, no slicks, and no cage.

I feel safe again. [Smile]

Sucks I know, but to play at the track with a fast car you have to pour even more money into safety equipment. but think on the bright side, there is nothing you can add to your car that will help stiffen the chassis like a roll bar/cage [Wink]

--------------------
01' GMC ExtCab Z71
Old time = 12.33@110mph 1.85 60' New combo in progress.

Posts: 1292 | From: Sacramento, CA. | Registered: Aug 2000  |  :
BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I will most likely need a cage too. I was hoping they wouldn't notice, but Drew took my car to a 12.0@118 last time on the old motor (302, which is now 347). I don't know how fast it is now.

What are some good cages? Anything that doesn't block the front seats and not punch through the front speakers?

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
F8LPONY
NORCAL-LS1
Member # 11

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for F8LPONY  Ford pictures for F8LPONY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You only need a 6-point cage until you get really fast so the front speakers will be fine [Smile]

Wolfe makes good cages as does Alston Chassis Works here in Sacto.

Wolfe Racecraft
http://www.wolferacecraft.com/

Crhis Alston's Chassis Works
http://www.cachassisworks.com/

--------------------
01' GMC ExtCab Z71
Old time = 12.33@110mph 1.85 60' New combo in progress.

Posts: 1292 | From: Sacramento, CA. | Registered: Aug 2000  |  :
MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Practice feathering the throttle and get to know the spinning point of the tires. It not only applies to take off, you need to make sure you spin as little as possible at gear changes as well. At your power level, I would assume you would spin at every gear change with street tires. Dont get nervous about the presure of getting the ultimate time. Its all about having fun and banging gears.

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
Red C5
¯
Member # 1561

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red C5  Ford pictures for Red C5    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by LAST302:
You gotta be shitin me!! Rollbar? Is that at Sac or Sears, both? Or is it nationwide. I cant believe that!! I could sware that in the past on tv I have seen verts without rollbars going down the track running faster than 13.9. What about Wiked281, Harold?

So much for helping Team CAFORDS. [Razz]

Seriously though, the roll bar is just a good idea with the power you have. Accidents do happen, good luck. [patriot]

BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT  Ford pictures for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have found that the S&W racecars cages are of good quality and have a easy install

--------------------
89 Saleen vert Bounty Hunter racing

http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1324&papass=&sort=1&size=medium&thecat=

Its all stock and slow wanna run.

1990GT50
¯
Member # 2119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1990GT50  Ford pictures for 1990GT50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
another vote for S&W cages [patriot]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com