Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » 03 Cobra. What to look for

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 03 Cobra. What to look for
GOT 50
¯
Member # 1960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GOT 50  Ford pictures for GOT 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone familar with this cobra? Any thing I should look out for. Not to familar with the Termi's yet.

Thanks

Eric

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/2338281423.html

Posts: 2139 | From: SF/DALY CITY/MILLBRAE | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50DADDY  Ford pictures for 50DADDY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
DO A COMPRESSION TEST!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mandatory.

--------------------
"Im not stupid,i just act that way so i dont make you dummies uncomfortable."

"Old age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill."

Posts: 4827 | From: Suckramento | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Mr.Lucky
CAFords OG
Member # 1772

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.Lucky  Ford pictures for Mr.Lucky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 50DADDY:
DO A COMPRESSION TEST!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mandatory.

+10000 do the test. It'll tell you right away whether you're wasting your time.

--------------------
95GT: Bolt ons.
Good sellers/buyers: Stangs R Us, 1SicGt, sn4bwc, racsirx, WickedStang, Autumnstang97, cali95gt

50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dont know the owner, but i can tell you now the car has seen some racing. The blower is painted which means its been off and probably pullied at some point. Upgraded axles are normally a sign of the car having been to the track since wheel hop will snap the stockers with improper tires on launch. Without an IRS brace the rear pumpkins are prone to leak from flexing at launch. With that low of miles there wouldnt really be a reason to replace the clutch if not for racing. If the motor has been replaced it was probably due to the valve tick or low compression. If the guy has receipts and the new motor really has 6k on it then all you need to worry about is the trans and IRS. Probably be good to run an OASIS report from Ford and see what service it has had done. Basically its a carfax from the dealer but you need to know someone who works there.

To Do:

*Compression test of all 8 cylinders
*Check the pumpkin for any signs of leaking at the bottom
*Test drive and be sure you dont hear a clunk from the rear IRS whenever you shift into gear.

If everything checks out then it would be a pretty solid buy. Good luck

--------------------
Signature Wheel Ford Representative
Email: Terrance@Signaturewheel.com
Instagram: @Signature_Wheel_Mustang
Web: www.SignatureWheel.com

Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
POWERED BY FORD
¯
Member # 9204

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for POWERED BY FORD  Ford pictures for POWERED BY FORD    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 50 Deep:
Dont know the owner, but i can tell you now the car has seen some racing. The blower is painted which means its been off and probably pullied at some point. Upgraded axles are normally a sign of the car having been to the track since wheel hop will snap the stockers with improper tires on launch. Without an IRS brace the rear pumpkins are prone to leak from flexing at launch. With that low of miles there wouldnt really be a reason to replace the clutch if not for racing. If the motor has been replaced it was probably due to the valve tick or low compression. If the guy has receipts and the new motor really has 6k on it then all you need to worry about is the trans and IRS. Probably be good to run an OASIS report from Ford and see what service it has had done. Basically its a carfax from the dealer but you need to know someone who works there.

To Do:

*Test drive and be sure you dont hear a clunk from the rear IRS whenever you shift into gear.

T when I go shopping for mines ama bring you with me haha
Pittsburg Mustang Owner
¯
Member # 6100

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pittsburg Mustang Owner  Ford pictures for Pittsburg Mustang Owner    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what psi should each cylinder be at roughly?
Posts: 1019 | From: Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*  Ford pictures for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dont forget a leak down as well....

--------------------
02 Z06-11.0 @ 132 1.9 60'
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _
Sold:05 CTS-V-13.1@114
Sold:01 Cobra Vert-12.0@119

50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Pittsburg Mustang Owner:
what psi should each cylinder be at roughly?

Well i believe from the factory it should be in the 150-170 range. I dont know the exact number, but it should be within that range. Now something i learned from Shaun and John B is that all the cylinders are supposed to be within 5%-10% of eachother to show a healthy motor. I think some OEM companies will allow up to 15-20% difference, but not something you want in a performance application. So it is possible that all cylinders could read 120 psi, and still be considered healthy because they are not out of range. When you do the test dont focus so much on the raw psi, but the percent of difference. However anything below 140 or so would seem like too much wear on the motor IMO

If the numbers are further apart than this then there is a chance the cylinder is losing compression due to bad rings or the valves not sealing properly. The Compression test identifies if the cylinder is healthy, and the leak down shows you where the flaw is. Scott is right on the leak down test, but only do that after the compression test shows some flaw.

Lalo Bro let me know when you go shopping for one. I have looked at enought bad ones to notice some issues. lol

--------------------
Signature Wheel Ford Representative
Email: Terrance@Signaturewheel.com
Instagram: @Signature_Wheel_Mustang
Web: www.SignatureWheel.com

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just buy my whippled cobra right at 14k miles on it.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
GOT 50
¯
Member # 1960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GOT 50  Ford pictures for GOT 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Fostang:

How much lol.
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

how much rwhp?

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

90GT510
¯
Member # 9199

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90GT510  Ford pictures for 90GT510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by GOT 50:
quote:

How much lol.
+1 how much and what color?
Posts: 1725 | From: East Bay/Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2009  |  :
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -

still have every single stock part

whipple 2.3 2.9 rr pulley also have 3.25 and 3.5 with belts
ported stock tb
k n cai
billetflow idler
rr tensioner
60 lb injectors
2400 sct maf
sct x3
kennebell bap
bassani catted or non catted x
borla stingers
billetflow IRS brace
bbs 18's great pilot tires
h k springs
dual pass exchanger
lfp expansion tank

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

98 ROUSH
¯
Member # 10309

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98 ROUSH  Ford pictures for 98 ROUSH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
 -

still have every single stock part

whipple 2.3 2.9 rr pulley also have 3.25 and 3.5 with belts
ported stock tb
k n cai
billetflow idler
rr tensioner
60 lb injectors
2400 sct maf
sct x3
kennebell bap
bassani catted or non catted x
borla stingers
billetflow IRS brace
bbs 18's great pilot tires
h k springs
dual pass exchanger
lfp expansion tank

Wanna trade LOL! Clean Cobra [patriot]

--------------------
Built 2v
Stroked, Cammed and Blown
Advanced Auto Built & Kurgan Tuned

Posts: 4678 | From: North Hayward, Cali | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
GOT 50
¯
Member # 1960

Nice,

Price with and without the whipple?

03RedfireSVT
¯
Member # 10069

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03RedfireSVT  Ford pictures for 03RedfireSVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sell you mine for 17.5k.....never raced here. [Big Grin]
Posts: 205 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2010  |  :
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

quote:
Originally posted by GOT 50:
Nice,

Price with and without the whipple?

20.5k bone stock With springs and wheels

25k as it sits

check kbb it's basicly trade in for a clean titled with 14k miles I have the pink in hand registered till next year and smogg still good I think till mid next month.

But would need a non refundable deposit if you decide to buy non stock and I can have it back to stock in a few hours.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

88FOX
¯
Member # 9969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88FOX  Ford pictures for 88FOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that thing is cleannn never seen that color combo looks good bro [patriot]

[ April 25, 2011, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: NASTY88 ]

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

To Do:

I don't own a cobra and I'm not too familiar with IRS setups, but wouldn't a clunk when you put it in 1st gear mean that the bushings supporting the IRS are worn? Pretty much most of the 03-04 cobras do it right? All five 03-04s that I've ridin in has the clunk.

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

quote:
Originally posted by SLOWSN95:
quote:

To Do:

I don't own a cobra and I'm not too familiar with IRS setups, but wouldn't a clunk when you put it in 1st gear mean that the bushings supporting the IRS are worn? Pretty much most of the 03-04 cobras do it right? All five 03-04s that I've ridin in has the clunk.
Yes, and it depends on how the car was driven. The one i picked up didnt have the clunk, but then again it wasnt beat on. A few of the ones i test drove had that problem though. If you come across it then its a sign of how the car was treated.
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

To Do:

Yes, and it depends on how the car was driven. The one i picked up didnt have the clunk, but then again it wasnt beat on. A few of the ones i test drove had that problem though. If you come across it then its a sign of how the car was treated.
I was thinking it was more of a normal thing for them. I know my buddy's 03 has had it ever since he purchased the car at 59k miles. The previous original owner was a woman in her mid 50s and I doubt she beat on it. Then again, the car is getting up there in mileage (80k+ now)..

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
Tha91SiCkNeSs
¯
Member # 5790

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tha91SiCkNeSs  Ford pictures for Tha91SiCkNeSs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

To Do:

I was thinking it was more of a normal thing for them. I know my buddy's 03 has had it ever since he purchased the car at 59k miles. The previous original owner was a woman in her mid 50s and I doubt she beat on it. Then again, the car is getting up there in mileage (80k+ now)..
From the last thing I remember, the clunk was because the IRS bolts were incorrectly sized..?

I've had the clunk in my car for over 6 years. No problems on my end.

--------------------
2003 Cobra

Posts: 565 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com