Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » black plates question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: black plates question
1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i picked up a 65 that had blue plates on it. i got some legit black plates from my boy and went to the dmv and they said i needed documentation to prove they r real and from that era. anyone do this b4 or had any problems like that?
iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceman302  Ford pictures for iceman302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yep. When I registered my K code, they sent new plates even though the car still had the original black plates. I declined. I told them there was no way that I was taking off the original plates. They really don't like the early plates.

I know they changed the law late last year and they will now let you re-register black plates to a car but you have to show some kind of proof that they came on the car (I think).

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Posts: 4171 | From: Rancho Murieta | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
85staNg302
¯
Member # 9450

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 85staNg302  Ford pictures for 85staNg302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i also would like to know more info on this. my bro n law has some black plates on his garage wall, i could use them on my 66 when i register it back in the system.

ttt [patriot]

Posts: 1561 | From: sacramento | Registered: Sep 2009  |  :
1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone ever done this or know what's the deal ? Really wAnt these black plates on my 65
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here is pdf of the application I had to fill out for YOM plates.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg352.pdf

The best case is if you can find the old registration of the car dating back when the car had black plates. You could get exact plate number reissued back to you.

If you do not have the original registration you can find a pair of black plates that are clear and have the correct year sticker on them. For a 57 chevy it needed to have a 56 sticker to be the correct vintage.

They do inspect them and measure them to make sure they are legit. Technically you are not supposed to tamper with the plates in any way but a professional refurbish can make the plates look original.

After finding a set of clear plates the DMV process is actually pretty easy. I've done it a few times and have no had any problems.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com