Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Update Bought the Volks! Few questions about tires and how to fix this werid gap (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Update Bought the Volks! Few questions about tires and how to fix this werid gap
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
UPDATE

I picked up the Volk GTS wheels and they came off of a 350z with some good tread left on the Toyo tires. I didn't have much time to take pics so I snapped some in the garage.

The tire sizes are not exactly what I would have bought especially the front. You can see in the pics that the fronts are stretched and need to be replaced with wider tires. I have these weird looking gap as well. I have fat fingers but rears have a finger gap or less and the fronts have a 2.5 finger gap.

I am planning on buying a 265/35/19 tire up front but do you think I should go to a 40 series tire? The sidewall difference will bother me but I do need to somehow fill in fender gap that looks off. I want to avoid lowering the car any further if possible.

On a good note, I am very happy with the wheels and they fit nearly flush with the fender. The 19 inch looks like its right on that edge of being too big for the car but I really like the look. Now I just need to get the brakes that compliment them.

295/30/19 rear
245/35/19 front

Rear
 -

-

Front (You can see what I am talking about)
 -

After wasting my time trying to buy a set of Chrome Speedline Wheels that where not as advertised I think I will try to go against the grain with some 19in Volk GTS wheels. What do you guys think? 2 piece forged. They weight around 21 lbs each and have a 5in lip out back.

Fronts: 19x9.5 offset +30
Rears: 19x10.5 offset +28

-

-

[ September 16, 2009, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: essasin ]

fam_lace
¯
Member # 8565

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fam_lace  Ford pictures for fam_lace    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dats a good look

--------------------
rip matt i love u cuz
351w h/c/I street car

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the fronts might sit too far in w/ the 30mm offset. the rears have the same offset as a 03 10.5" replica so u should be okay w/ the rears.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I thought so too fam. I need to upgrade to a cobra 13inch setup. But don't have the time right now.

Venomous I was worried about that too. Would size spacer would be a good option?

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
a spacer should take care of it as u probably would need a 1/8-1/4" spacer.
why not just get a wheel appropriately sized for your car? many of the wheels for a g35/350z fit perfectly for our cars.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

quote:
Originally posted by venomous99:
a spacer should take care of it as u probably would need a 1/8-1/4" spacer.
why not just get a wheel appropriately sized for your car? many of the wheels for a g35/350z fit perfectly for our cars.

I'm found a set of these for sale at a price I could not pass up. I believe these where on a 350z.
kennebellgt
¯
Member # 8395

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennebellgt  Ford pictures for kennebellgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how much are those?

--------------------
just trying to fight the SN-95 demons

PS3 NAME- kennebellgt

Posts: 830 | From: Sacramento | Registered: May 2008  |  :
rollin5ive0
¯
Member # 8592

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollin5ive0  Ford pictures for rollin5ive0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sick lets see black chorme polish lip or that anthracite color brakes look dope too....word to people with rims that show off brakes paint your calipers and if ya cant get new rotors take old ones and paint them (just spray the wholw face) and then go get them turned!!

--------------------
875.0gt
90dtlx5.0
93blkvenumos5.0COBRA#3377
96redthundr4.6l4vCOBRA
964.6l2vGT
895.0lGT
93cleancorlgreen5.0GT
93meancoralgreen5.0GT

Posts: 1830 | From: 707 vacaville ca | Registered: Aug 2008  |  :
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

quote:
Originally posted by kennebellgt:
how much are those?

I googled and the list price is from 700-850. A bit pricey and I wouldn't pay retail for them.
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

quote:
Originally posted by rollin5ive0:
sick lets see black chorme polish lip or that anthracite color brakes look dope too....word to people with rims that show off brakes paint your calipers and if ya cant get new rotors take old ones and paint them (just spray the wholw face) and then go get them turned!!

I am going to buy the wheels today and eventually go with the 13in cobra brake setup. Maybe even a 14in if I can find something off the forums. But any of that won't happen for a few months. I'd want to get either plain silver finish or go with the black chrome but both with a polished lip.
Termin8Him
¯
Member # 7895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Termin8Him  Ford pictures for Termin8Him    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
pretty clean...post up pics one you get them

--------------------
-whippled termy
-07 silverado

maeco
¯
Member # 2578

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for maeco  Ford pictures for maeco    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would definately do it if i had the money.those wheels look sick like others says post when done.

--------------------
Looking for clean white mustang email me

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

updated in the OP
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I thin kit loks good! The fronts do need to be a bit wider, but its not too bad. I cant really see the gap, but the rear sits pretty nicely [patriot]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

Daniel50
¯
Member # 5629

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniel50  Ford pictures for Daniel50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
volks are never cheap

--------------------
89 2.3- Sold
91 5.0- 12.7@110 sold
94 5.0- 13.0@105 sold
97 Cobra: Sold
95 5.0- sold
95 5.0-bone stock

Posts: 1017 | From: Discovery Bay, CA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  :
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
I thin kit loks good! The fronts do need to be a bit wider, but its not too bad. I cant really see the gap, but the rear sits pretty nicely [patriot]

Thanks Ian! Hopefully once I get a wider tire up front it will make everything look right.
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel50:
volks are never cheap

Not cheap but worth the money.
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
looks major clean...Way to go on rim choice.
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you don't need a 40 series when you go to the 265's, use a tire calculator and you'll see how it works, the 'XX' series of a tire is the % based on the width, so a 265/40 is 40% of 265, or a LOT thicker than a 245/35

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That looks nice man, GOOD JOB.

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

quote:
Originally posted by N8:
looks major clean...Way to go on rim choice.

Thanks! I thought about them for days before I took the plunge.
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
you don't need a 40 series when you go to the 265's, use a tire calculator and you'll see how it works, the 'XX' series of a tire is the % based on the width, so a 265/40 is 40% of 265, or a LOT thicker than a 245/35

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Yea I think you are right. I will most likely be going with a 265/35/19. Thanks for the tire calculator.
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

quote:
Originally posted by 166 Merlot:
That looks nice man, GOOD JOB.

Thanks, I appreciate the compliments!
juniorhm
¯
Member # 9446

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for juniorhm  Ford pictures for juniorhm    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the tire is stretched out cause its Drift inspired 350z most likely...but good looking rims..
BlowN67
¯
Member # 4229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlowN67  Ford pictures for BlowN67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lookin good. nice choice for a blk sn95 saleen. thats what it looks like

--------------------
AIM gonein67 JOHN
* californiafords.com
* corral.net
* foureyedpride.com
* yellowbullet.com
* theturboforums.com

Posts: 9809 | From: Home of LARD | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com