Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » FIRE w/photos

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: FIRE w/photos
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
OH MY GOD! So I took the truck to work after lunch and when I get here I smell something burning. Like burning paper. I figure whatever since crap is being burnt and construction being done by work all the time. I get out and walk to the building and notice I still have the cd remote in my hand so I go back to the truck and when I open the door I smell it again. I turn my head outside the truck and don't smell it. Then I look up and see a huge plume of smoke burst from the hood. I pull out my cell phone because I am for sure going to need to call 911. I'm thinking as I pop the hood as soon as the air swoops in here it's gonna totally flame up on me and I think for a second if I should or shouldn't pop the hood. OF COURSE I DO! I pop it open and there is flame and smoke coming from under the oil fill neck but I can't see where so I put my hand in and wave the smoke away to find a crispy burning new 100% cotton cloth I used to make sure no oil spilled when filling up the truck during it's oil change Saturday. I was so happy so mother F)#$&* happy that I had no problem grabbing the flamming rag and toss it to the ground. Since I was about to dail 911 I figured I snap a couple photos of my brain fart. As embarasing as this is I am much more relieved than anything. After close inspection of where the rag was there is no burn marks on anything no wires burned or anything. It was resting against the valve cover.

Luck of the Irish I guess.

-

-

hawaii5.0
¯
Member # 4675

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hawaii5.0  Ford pictures for hawaii5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
damn thats crazy

--------------------
91LX (sold)
93 cobra #3279

Posts: 757 | From: here and there | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
svfreerider87
¯
Member # 5748

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for svfreerider87  Ford pictures for svfreerider87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
daaaamn, talk about things that will never ever happen to you again after this lol.

--------------------
Dreamspeed Motorsports

Posts: 1685 | From: Sunnyvale | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
85_TT_5.0
¯
Member # 8486

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 85_TT_5.0  Ford pictures for 85_TT_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Good thing that you had the remote in your hand and had to go back, I had the same thing happen to me on my Bronco, had to go back to the truck for something and found a wiring fire.
Posts: 63 | From: Fremont, ca. | Registered: Jun 2008  |  :
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn dude u got lucky. Im telling carfax [Big Grin]

--------------------
Signature Wheel Ford Representative
Email: Terrance@Signaturewheel.com
Instagram: @Signature_Wheel_Mustang
Web: www.SignatureWheel.com

Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Another time I changed the oil in my wifes Pacifica and didn't notice nor have I ever heard of it happening but the oil filter rubber gasket from the old filter stayed on the car. I installed the new filter and button everything up. I started the car and heard some swoosh and splash and blah blah. I turned it right off and got out of the car to see 5.5 quarts of oil had just sprayed out all over my driveway. I was like WTF!!F!F! So I mop it all up with old rags and towels as best I could then poured 1 gal of 12 year old rusty sandy gas that I had pumped out of a car I had all over the oil stain and set it on fire.

Wish I can my camera for that. The flame shot up like 20 feet and every neighbor in our court came outside. Once I heard the wood pieces in the driveway start to crackle I figued I would put it out. Couple shots with the fire extinguisher and it was out. Washed it with the hose and there is literally no stain there today. House was a rental at the time so fuckit.

But I'll never double gasket or rag abandon again thats for damn sure. But I do have my fire extinguishers and gas cans handy in case of emergencies hahahahahahahah.

In my defence I was changing the oil on three of our cars Saturday. When I did my wifes car the gasket did the same shit, I caught it and gave myself a pat on the back but after the towel thing.....I hang my head in shame lol.

87Fox916
¯
Member # 6399

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87Fox916  Ford pictures for 87Fox916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wow. Good thing you didn't have a cold to where you couldn't smell.

--------------------
87 Mustang GT

Posts: 1652 | From: SACRAMENTO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
DIRTY SALLY
¯
Member # 7845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DIRTY SALLY  Ford pictures for DIRTY SALLY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I REMEBER WHEN I DID A COUPLE OF BONG RIPPS BEFORE I CHAGED MY OIL.... WAIT A MIN IT NEVER GOT DONE [worship] LOL LUCKEY U DIDNT HAVE ANY OIL LEAKS ANYWHERE

--------------------
---------
Savage Habits
instagram @2cheezen

NiftyWhiteFifty
¯
Member # 4320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NiftyWhiteFifty  Ford pictures for NiftyWhiteFifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Scary for sure! happened to some friends of mine while wheelin' at hollister, we had just parked and all of a sudden flames start comin up from under the hood of my friends cherokee. we bust out the fire extinguishers and got it put out but a bunch of wire insulation and plastic pieces got melted in the process. fire was started by the underhood light bulb coming in contact with some insulation

--------------------
'05 F150 4x4

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com