Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » What Happens When You Let Incompetent People Work On Your Car...... (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: What Happens When You Let Incompetent People Work On Your Car......
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So, Forced331 and I started working on my 93 which blew a head gasket immediately after it was replaced by the same person a week prior (has been in storage for the past year and a half.) Anyway, I'm missing bolts, have some GHETTO bolts in my intake, allen and 12 point header bolts, some intake bolts finger tight, others properly torqued etc.

We lifted the lower intake off and what do we find? A fucking pair of scissors in the valley. I'm missing my camera but will post pictures when I find it. A fucking pair of scissors!!! This person changed head gaskets three seperate times for me, EACH FUCKING TIME it was blown again immediately afterward AGAIN. Yeah, fucking live n learn for me. We stopped at that point. No telling what we'll find when we remove the valve covers or go to loosen the head studs.....

People, don't use price/time as the deciding factor in who performs work for you.....

[ April 10, 2008, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: hidnn.o.s. ]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
So, Forced331 and I started working on my 93 which blew a head gasket immediately after it was replaced by the same person a week prior (has been in storage for the past year and a half.) Anyway, I'm missing bolts, have some GHETTO bolts in my intake, allen and 12 point header bolts, some intake bolts finger tight, others properly torqued etc.

We lifted the lower intake off and what do we find? A fucking pair of scissors in the valley. I'm missing my camera but will post pictures when I find it. A fucking pair of scissors!!! This person changed head gaskets three seperate times for me, EACH FUCKING TIME it was blown again immediately afterward AGAIN. Yeah, fucking live n learn for me. We stopped at that point. No telling what we'll find when we remove the valve covers or go to loosen the head studs.....

People, don't use price/time as the deciding factor in who performs work for you.....

Im surprised that you let someone work on your car. You usually answer a lot of stuff in tech.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if the HG blew 3 times I'd think pretty strongly about replacing the heads or at least milling them flat, there's gotta be something wrong [Confused]

not to say you can't fuck up a HG change 3 times in a row, but I'd have to think with that much practice you'd figure it out!

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by adower:
quote:

Im surprised that you let someone work on your car. You usually answer a lot of stuff in tech.
I work full time, my son is very active in sports, after school activities etc. My car would still be sitting in the garage had my friend not pushed my into getting this taken care of after so long. My son is off at outdoor education so this is the PERFECT week to do it. Trust me, I'd let JohnB and a VERY select few ever touch my car without me present in the future.

Again, learn from other peoples mistakes.

--------------------

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
if the HG blew 3 times I'd think pretty strongly about replacing the heads or at least milling them flat, there's gotta be something wrong [Confused]

not to say you can't fuck up a HG change 3 times in a row, but I'd have to think with that much practice you'd figure it out!

I work at a machine shop, the heads are checked and surfaced each time. They were replaced 2 times on this car and this person changed a set on a previous car I sold to Dag302, who took the car to JohnB, and found the installation errors made.

Edit for clarity: TOTALLY different set of heads installed on a different car, bad job. These heads installed on my car twice, bad jobS.

In the end, my bad and a lesson learned....

[ April 10, 2008, 12:36 AM: Message edited by: hidnn.o.s. ]

--------------------

East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for East Bay 50  Ford pictures for East Bay 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Thats messed up, I could tell you some horror stories about shops and people that have worked on my car. Hell, some of them are even on this board. Best thing you can do is learn from your mistake and never trust that person again

--------------------
Kurgan tuned stroked and blown 347 foxbody. boost nukka!

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:

I work at a machine shop, the heads are checked and surfaced each time. They were replaced 2 times on this car and this person changed a set on a previous car I sold to Dag302, who took the car to JohnB, and found the installation errors made.

Edit for clarity: TOTALLY different set of heads installed on a different car, bad job. These heads installed on my car twice, bad jobS.

In the end, my bad and a lesson learned....

that's just crazy, were they 14 beers in when the intake went back on? [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Also, my rear passenger spark plug boot was upside down, against header and LITTERALY crisp to where I attempted to pull the boot off the plug and the boot broke in half. NEVER SEEN A BOOT ACTUALLY "CRISP" to the touch!

--------------------

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wtf...i wonder which clown did the work on ur car? whoa...

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

quote:
Originally posted by venomous99:
wtf...i wonder which clown did the work on ur car? whoa...

That's not what this is about. I chose someone based on price ($200 for labor plus parts) who "said" they knew what they were doing and could do it immediately.

--------------------

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That sucks, I always put every ounce of effort into the car I'm working on..... I guess effort doesn't mean shit if the person doesn't have skill though.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
Dave50
¯
Member # 5238

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave50  Ford pictures for Dave50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Also, my rear passenger spark plug boot was upside down, against header and LITTERALY crisp to where I attempted to pull the boot off the plug and the boot broke in half. NEVER SEEN A BOOT ACTUALLY "CRISP" to the touch!

If you didnt notice the boot then you know nothing about cars. Evertime I "let" someone work on my car I will do a quick screening and ALWAYS, ALWAYS check for a visual when complete. This is nothing more than a amrketing campain for your shop.

--------------------
Obama 09 "YES WE CAN!"

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that is why I always do all my own work period. I hate even having machine shops do stuff for me. I always put together my own engines and double check there work. There are alot of wanna-bes out there. Alot of stuff I did for the first time on my own cars. I got a book or went on the internet to find resources I needed.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Dave50:
[QUOTE]If you didnt notice the boot then you know nothing about cars.

:Don:
Sucks to hear so much bs went wrong with your car. I'm sure you'll have her up and running in no time.

[patriot]

--------------------
=(

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

No worries, the scissors are what sent me over the edge and brought along this thread, lol.

Either way, it'll be put together right this time. Out of frustration last time the car was delivered back to me and the gasket blew so I threw it in a storage unit and went to Ford to buy my new Mustang. That was some expensive frustration [Frown]

--------------------

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what really sucks is if he was your doctor you would be geting rich(if you lived through it)

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

quote:
Originally posted by 2stangs69-91:
what really sucks is if he was your doctor you would be geting rich(if you lived through it)

LOL, so true. I've heard of doctors leaving pliers etc inside people. Same kinda situation, only with a car, LOL.

--------------------

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That sucks, i learned a long time ago not to let anyone work on my car unless its something i haven't learned yet (rearend work, transmission work) and then i get to know the person before they do the work.
When i first started driving i took my Jeep to an oil change place to get the oil changed, on the entire way home i was breathing burning oil. Never have let anyone do engine work on any of my cars since.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

porchstang
¯
Member # 7937

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for porchstang  Ford pictures for porchstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 2stangs69-91:
that is why I always do all my own work period. I hate even having machine shops do stuff for me. I always put together my own engines and double check there work. There are alot of wanna-bes out there. Alot of stuff I did for the first time on my own cars. I got a book or went on the internet to find resources I needed.

Plus one on this I am the same exact way.
Posts: 114 | From: Bakersfield | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

On this site I'd let JohnB and Paul work on my cars without me being anywhere in the neighborhood. I've never even met Paul in person, but can tell he knows what he's doing.

THIS DOES NOT MEAN THE OTHERS CANNOT PERFORM GOOD WORK,it just means I only know of those two personally.

--------------------

svt306snake
¯
Member # 1967

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for svt306snake  Ford pictures for svt306snake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
johnb is the only or drew and sean

--------------------
F*** TPS MOTORSPORTS F *** TPS MOTORSPORTS THEY SUCK ASS

TEAM TRUE FORGED X 2 SPONSORED

CAPITAL MUSTANG C.C.

Posts: 5841 | From: SACRAMENTO "916" YA KNOW | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Dave50
¯
Member # 5238

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave50  Ford pictures for Dave50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
On this site I'd let JohnB and Paul work on my cars without me being anywhere in the neighborhood. I've never even met Paul in person, but can tell he knows what he's doing.

THIS DOES NOT MEAN THE OTHERS CANNOT PERFORM GOOD WORK,it just means I only know of those two personally.

Oh, rather than finger the bad party you finger your friends. My mistake your advertisement here wasnt for your shop it was for them. Got it now.

--------------------
Obama 09 "YES WE CAN!"

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

quote:
Originally posted by Dave50:
quote:

Oh, rather than finger the bad party you finger your friends. My mistake your advertisement here wasnt for your shop it was for them. Got it now.
Go away, NO ONE cares to hear your stupid/POINTLESS statements.

It looks like it was lack of torquing the head studs correctly. Some were much easier than others to remove. Cylinder heads and block surface have been checked and given a clean bill of health.

Will install and finally be able to enjoy the car.

Big thanks to Force331 (AND HIS WIFE FOR ALLOWING MY CAR IN THEIR DRIVEWAY FOR A WEEK!) [patriot]

[ April 12, 2008, 12:00 AM: Message edited by: hidnn.o.s. ]

--------------------

gray03gt
¯
Member # 6427

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gray03gt  Ford pictures for gray03gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just to add on this a little for one reason or another I recieved poor quality work from JohnB on one occasion. I even paid him an extra thousand for good measure. This is not to say that he does bad work though because like many people on this site he has done good work for me, although on this last build a bunch of things weren't done correctly. You can never really be sure about people
444_C.I.D.
¯
Member # 2956

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 444_C.I.D.  Ford pictures for 444_C.I.D.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by gray03gt:
Just to add on this a little for one reason or another I recieved poor quality work from JohnB on one occasion. I even paid him an extra thousand for good measure. This is not to say that he does bad work though because like many people on this site he has done good work for me, although on this last build a bunch of things weren't done correctly. You can never really be sure about people

did you bring this up to John? He only does quality work, and he sure doesnt take money and not give you what you pay for.

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com