Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Yankee Jims, a nice drive for under 3 Ton rigs

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Yankee Jims, a nice drive for under 3 Ton rigs
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thought i would share. Went gold panning on the American River today and i took a road called Yankee Jims to get there. Yankee Jims road is the old stage coach road from Colfax to Foresthill. Its not a road many people travel and many people have died trying. Yankee Jims is named after an old mining town on the other side of the American River that a old horse theif started.
The road is cut into the side of the cliffs of the American River. On one side you have a rock face and on the other you have a thousand foot drop into the raging river. They found a lot of gold down near the Yankee Jims bridge (built in 1920 and has a 3 out of 100 safety rating ONLY for 3 ton vehicles or under, its a cable suspension bridge and it does sway when you drive over it)So on the way down you will see many drift mineshafts going into the side of the mountain. You can also see foundations from old buildings along the river. You will also see 7 waterfalls, 6 of them are only seasonal, 1 runs year round.

To take Yankee Jims road get off of Eastbound interstate 80 at Weimar road. Make a left once you get off the freeway, drive down the road until you see Yankee Jims road on the right. Yankee Jims is paved for the first 500feet or so and then becomes a pothole ridden dirt/rock road. The Colfax side of Yankee Jims is a good drive down to the bridge, not many bad spots in the road. The other side of the bridge to Foresthill is a more technical. I wouldn't suggest taking a car down this road unless you have a lift on it or you really don't care about the vehicle. Its a 13 mile drive from Colfax to Foresthill. My pics are only of about a mile after the bridge over the bridge and maybe a couple of hundred feet past the bridge.

Things to remember:
-Drive slowly on this road if you haven't driven it before. You may notice a shit load of crosses along side the road. Many people have died going off the cliffs.
-If someone is driving faster than you pull over and let them pass.
-Keep your eyes open around every turn you might see something (Mountain lions, Bears, etc)
-No vehicles over 3 tons can cross the bridge, DON'T try it, like i said it got a 3 out of 100 on the bridge safety rating.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
The pics were taken going towards Colfax from Foresthill, just for everyones info.

[ February 18, 2008, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: 532Fastback ]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -
 -
 -
 -
Going from Foresthill to Colfax.

EDIT:Don't drive down this road after heavy rainfalls, there are always landslides and rocks coming down from above.

[ February 18, 2008, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: 532Fastback ]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

lethal2v
¯
Member # 8213

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lethal2v  Ford pictures for lethal2v    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That looks like a fun drive.
BlowN67
¯
Member # 4229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlowN67  Ford pictures for BlowN67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hopefully be joining u someday on some runs with the fam in my new toy. [Big Grin]

--------------------
AIM gonein67 JOHN
* californiafords.com
* corral.net
* foureyedpride.com
* yellowbullet.com
* theturboforums.com

Posts: 9809 | From: Home of LARD | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by BlowN67:
hopefully be joining u someday on some runs with the fam in my new toy. [Big Grin]

Yeah get it going, i'll take you all over. [patriot]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

BlowN67
¯
Member # 4229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlowN67  Ford pictures for BlowN67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey what rim an tire combo u running. looks good. [Big Grin]

--------------------
AIM gonein67 JOHN
* californiafords.com
* corral.net
* foureyedpride.com
* yellowbullet.com
* theturboforums.com

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
hey what rim an tire combo u running. looks good. [Big Grin]

35 inch baja claws on a 15 inch wheel.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

BlowN67
¯
Member # 4229

15x8's or 10's

--------------------
AIM gonein67 JOHN
* californiafords.com
* corral.net
* foureyedpride.com
* yellowbullet.com
* theturboforums.com

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
15x8's or 10's

15x10s sorry.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

BlowN67
¯
Member # 4229

looks good thats what i want right there. thanx

--------------------
AIM gonein67 JOHN
* californiafords.com
* corral.net
* foureyedpride.com
* yellowbullet.com
* theturboforums.com

RiddlerGT
Midnight King
Member # 113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiddlerGT  Ford pictures for RiddlerGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so did you get any gold?

--------------------
SR

Posts: 2292 | From: San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by RiddlerGT:
so did you get any gold?

Yeah every pan i found two flakes. Didn't really find any optimal spots and i wanted to hike a long distance from the bridge but we ended up only a couple hundred feet away.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com