Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » What would you do...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: What would you do...
91Trunkster
¯
Member # 6598

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91Trunkster  Ford pictures for 91Trunkster    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just got hired at PG&E as an Apprentice Lineman, the job pays almost $31 an hour, I get tons of OT and double time, I've worked there for 8 days and have made $4,000 already, I'm on call 24/7 365 days a year, will work 20+ hour days for many days in a row during storms, I can be sent away for weeks at a time far away from home at any time(Richmond), I work out of Petaluma but could work out of Santa Rosa, Napa, Healdsburg, San Rafael, basically we cover a huge area and I have to stay in that yard for 5 years, at times I'll be sent towards Fresno, Bakersfield, up north towards Eureka and Redding. The work here is physically demanding and I know I'm not getting any younger (28), I like the future here, in 5 years I can get a plush division job in Richmond and make around 2k a week and never leave my area, but 5 years is a long way away. I also have to make it through my apprentiship, so the job isn't guaranteed in a sense.

My dilema, Chevron (Refinery) just called me for an operator position, pays $25 an hour, is right down the street from my house, 4 minute commute, 2 weeks off a month, 2 weekends off per month, also a union job, much easier and not as dangerous, tons of OT available.

What would you do?

--------------------
Yellow94GT never touched anyone's sig or banned anyone, so I'm going to quit spreading that rumor. It's not like I have any proof anyways. All yellow94gt and other mods have done is volunteer their time to help other people buy/sell parts, learn how to make their cars go faster and meet fellow enthusiasts. I'm a hater, but it's hard to hate on these facts. I have saved hunrdeds, maybe thousands of dollars here buying and selling parts over the years alone, but I don't care, this website owes me damnit, and I'll piss on it as much as I want. Us haters gonna hate. Why contribute to something when you can take for free?
I act like I'm@Age15
I make friends on the internet that are@Age18
I was picked on in my youth so I became a bully@Age24
My mouth started to run 24/7 on the internet, but my car never at the track@Age26
First pubic hair@Age30
Troll@Age31
My internet friends and I ALL just got the boot for good!@Age31
Yes, you read it right, 31 and just as childish as my fresh out of highschool internet friends@31
Oh yeah, this isn't my website, so no one has to ask for my permission to change my sig. Hell, not like I pay the CAFORDS bill, so why should they need my permission to put what they want on their site? We're all guests here. Maybe some of us should start acting like guests or leave?

(510)375-1589

0Cobra3
¯
Member # 2901

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 0Cobra3  Ford pictures for 0Cobra3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Both are great opportunities. Working away from the family sucks. With the Chevron job I am sure that you will get yearly raises.

--------------------
It'll be fine....just run it.

91Trunkster
¯
Member # 6598

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91Trunkster  Ford pictures for 91Trunkster    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
At PG&E by the time I top out (3.5 years), I'll be at $43-45 and at Chevron around $33-35 (not sure how long it takes), it is the working away from home that bothers me, I like the work I'll be doing in the future at PG&E but now I'm just a grunt and will be for another year at least.
Cm4hawks
¯
Member # 5231

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cm4hawks  Ford pictures for Cm4hawks    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would go to Chevron. for one it is not easy to get hired on at a refinery anymore. Hell hundreds apply. 2 If you ever want to move down the line you can transfer to any other chevron and there is one in Hawaii. BUT the down fall is chevron is shift work for the rest of your life

--------------------
2007 Ford Expedition
2004 Dodge Ram 2500

Posts: 1818 | From: Pacheco CA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for East Bay 50  Ford pictures for East Bay 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Trunkster:
I just got hired at PG&E as an Apprentice Lineman, the job pays almost $31 an hour, I get tons of OT and double time, I've worked there for 8 days and have made $4,000 already, I'm on call 24/7 365 days a year, will work 20+ hour days for many days in a row during storms, I can be sent away for weeks at a time far away from home at any time(Richmond), I work out of Petaluma but could work out of Santa Rosa, Napa, Healdsburg, San Rafael, basically we cover a huge area and I have to stay in that yard for 5 years, at times I'll be sent towards Fresno, Bakersfield, up north towards Eureka and Redding. The work here is physically demanding and I know I'm not getting any younger (28), I like the future here, in 5 years I can get a plush division job in Richmond and make around 2k a week and never leave my area, but 5 years is a long way away. I also have to make it through my apprentiship, so the job isn't guaranteed in a sense.

My dilema, Chevron (Refinery) just called me for an operator position, pays $25 an hour, is right down the street from my house, 4 minute commute, 2 weeks off a month, 2 weekends off per month, also a union job, much easier and not as dangerous, tons of OT available.

What would you do?

You work out of the same yard I do on south 27th street in Richmond. You are in G.C. Line dept huh? Maybe I will come over and introduce myself to you on monday. Whats your name? Pm me [patriot]

--------------------
Kurgan tuned stroked and blown 347 foxbody. boost nukka!

Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venomized93  Ford pictures for Venomized93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That's a tough one. If it were me I would probably get the PG&E job. You may have to suffer for a few years. But in the end it would all be worth it. $$$$$$ just rolling in!

[ February 03, 2008, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: Venomized93 ]

--------------------
2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Posts: 2077 | From: San Francisco, California | Registered: Oct 2000  |  :
91Trunkster
¯
Member # 6598

quote:
Originally posted by Cm4hawks:
I would go to Chevron. for one it is not easy to get hired on at a refinery anymore. Hell hundreds apply. 2 If you ever want to move down the line you can transfer to any other chevron and there is one in Hawaii. BUT the down fall is chevron is shift work for the rest of your life

The shift work does suck, but 2 weeks off per month and the 2 weekends off make it something I could live with, PG&E is M-F 7-3:30, the commute could be as little as 30 minutes to as much as over 1.5 hours, I would save on gas, wear and tear, bridge toll and drive time as much as 3 hours.

--------------------
Yellow94GT never touched anyone's sig or banned anyone, so I'm going to quit spreading that rumor. It's not like I have any proof anyways. All yellow94gt and other mods have done is volunteer their time to help other people buy/sell parts, learn how to make their cars go faster and meet fellow enthusiasts. I'm a hater, but it's hard to hate on these facts. I have saved hunrdeds, maybe thousands of dollars here buying and selling parts over the years alone, but I don't care, this website owes me damnit, and I'll piss on it as much as I want. Us haters gonna hate. Why contribute to something when you can take for free?
I act like I'm@Age15
My mouth started to run 24/7 on the internet, but my car never at the track@Age26
First pubic hair@Age30
Troll@Age31
Yes, you read it right, 31 and just as childish as my fresh out of highschool internet friends@31
Oh yeah, this isn't my website, so no one has to ask for my permission to change my sig. Hell, not like I pay the CAFORDS bill, so why should they need my permission to put what they want on their site? We're all guests here. Maybe some of us should start acting like guests or leave?

(510)375-1589

cobra_302_stang
¯
Member # 7257

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobra_302_stang  Ford pictures for cobra_302_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
oh s***t get me a job [worship]

--------------------
~HighSpeed Motorsports~

Posts: 416 | From: Redwood city | Registered: Nov 2006  |  :
91Trunkster
¯
Member # 6598

quote:
Originally posted by East Bay 50:
quote:

What would you do?

You work out of the same yard I do on south 27th street in Richmond. You are in G.C. Line dept huh? Maybe I will come over and introduce myself to you on monday. Whats your name? Pm me [patriot]
I'm in GC Line, Area 7 Petaluma, if I were in Richmond there would be no choice.

I'm currently working at PG&E Venomized.

--------------------
I act like I'm@Age15
First pubic hair@Age30
Troll@Age31

(510)375-1589

East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for East Bay 50  Ford pictures for East Bay 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by East Bay 50:
quote:

What would you do?

I'm in GC Line, Area 7 Petaluma, if I were in Richmond there would be no choice.

I'm currently working at PG&E Venomized.

By the way, If they send you outside your area in Petaluma you get what is called per diem. It is basically a little extra money they give you based on how far out of your normal area you are working. If you are over 65 miles outside your work are you get a hotel room. the hotels are pretty nice. You stay at places like the Marriott and alot of the rooms have full kitchens and stuff in them and are pretty good size. Its almost like a suite.

--------------------
Kurgan tuned stroked and blown 347 foxbody. boost nukka!

89FoxLX
¯
Member # 7197

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89FoxLX  Ford pictures for 89FoxLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Take the chevron and give me the pg&e. I don't have a wife or kids, so its perfect for me!
uh0h50
CAFords OG
Member # 3125

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for uh0h50  Ford pictures for uh0h50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i wish i was in the predicament that you're in.. i honestly don't know what i would do though. good luck.

[ February 03, 2008, 03:50 AM: Message edited by: uh0h50 ]

--------------------
AP1 S2000

Posts: 2926 | From: Bay Area 510 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would take the higher paying job. While the "safe" job is always nice you never know when that money will come in handy in a rainy day. Everyone that takes the safe route usually looks back and regrets on what they should have done (unless the company tanks or something).

Chevron and PG&E are both companies that have a bright future. Check what retirement/matching benefits they offer also.

The world will never have enough Engineers BTW. I am one myself and as a little-to-no-senority grunt I know how you feel working 50+ hours a week. If you don't have a family then take advantage and work your ass off!

You can rest when you're dead..

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i'm an operator for chevron, pm me if you have any questions. i'd rather not discuss here.

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
iwould take the chevron job over the pg&e for these reasons..really this depends on what your priority is. i would weigh 3 things: convenience, quality of work and money.
-more convenient than commuting from vallejo to petaluma and who knows where. for those 3 hrs you commute, there could be another 3 hrs of OT working at chevron. not to mention, you'll be saving lots on gas and also have more time to spend with family. there is nothing more that stresses me out than getting stuck in a bad ass commute after a long day at work. imagine doing this day in and day out. can you endure this sacrifice for 5 years where it may not even workout in the long run?
-sacrificing safety for money is always not the best route especially when you're not single and planning to have a family. shit, you'll make good money but im sure that lineman job is hell of a job more dangerous than the refinery job. ask your gf/wife, family which they prefer more if you gave them that option.

both are secure jobs so there is no argument there ,so you should be asking yourself what is more important to you..which job can you see yourself working at for many years.

money aint everything especially when u gotta take lots of sacrifices and risk your own safety. i know all jobs have risks but if you can reduce it , y not?

ps..i dont know what a refinery job is so im assuming its a helluva lot safer than being a lineman.

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd take the PG&E job just cause its pretty tough to get in there and if it doesnt pan out chevron is always hiring at least once a year . go for PG&e it will pay better and if it doesnt pan out u can always go talk to chevron.
Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com