Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » how do i get the best MPG possible??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: how do i get the best MPG possible??
solbrothers
¯
Member # 7524

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for solbrothers  Ford pictures for solbrothers    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey, i have had my 5.0 mustang for like a month, well, i want better miileage. what kind of mods or whatever can i do to increase my mile per gallon. i am running stock tire size on ten hole wheels, i have a k&n drop in filter, and no exhaust after the cats. [Razz] . what else can i do:??

--------------------
2100+ posts, 15 useful

86BackInBlack
¯
Member # 5372

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86BackInBlack  Ford pictures for 86BackInBlack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
use chevron whenever possible, keep tires well inflated and try not to use the pedal to the right too often

--------------------
http://i.imgur.com/go1nj.gif

solbrothers
¯
Member # 7524

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for solbrothers  Ford pictures for solbrothers    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66backinblack:
use chevron whenever possible, keep tires well inflated and try not to use the pedal to the right too often

haha thanks a lot.. i've got to try the last one [Razz] / well waht about gears.. in the rearend would it be alright to run maybe crownvic gears?? are all 8.8 ford rearends the same gears??

--------------------
2100+ posts, 15 useful

Got50Fever
¯
Member # 4187

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Got50Fever  Ford pictures for Got50Fever    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Replace the belt driven fan with an electric one (along with a 3g alternator) will get you a mpg or 2 on the freeway. I used to get 24 or 25 mpg in my 90 LX. Also, if you have an auto, shift into neutral at long traffic lights rather than leaving it in gear.
Posts: 79 | From: Campbell, CA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  :
solbrothers
¯
Member # 7524

coolthanks a lot. i'll look into the electric fan thing. and my 5.0 is a manual and i rarely shift over 2,000 RPM's

--------------------
2100+ posts, 15 useful

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -

ROFL!

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
solbrothers
¯
Member # 7524

hahshs no thanks [Razz] .

i was at kragens the other day and this old asian dude was looking at those. i was like don't do it [Razz] . and he was like which size should i get??? so i helped him get the one he wanted... and i was like wtf???

--------------------
2100+ posts, 15 useful

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
spend $550 to $1K on a used Honda that gets like 40mpg....you'll be fine after that....and your car won't get used so much

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

solbrothers
¯
Member # 7524

i wish i could. the 'rents don't want me to have 2 cars because are trying to sell our house and they don't want the place to look like a car lot.

but i did have a honda before the fifty. it was stolen and stripped. it was really nice actually.

--------------------
2100+ posts, 15 useful

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PWR HNGRY 302  Ford pictures for PWR HNGRY 302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Quit revving for no reason [Razz]

--------------------
87 Fox- Restoration in progress
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM
2017 Prius Prime (The Daily)

Posts: 2655 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cummins  Ford pictures for cummins    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Take the bus!!! Did I mention that I am a bus driver by trade???

--------------------
Your definitely jealous of my strength and brains. - 68_427_Fastback

Cummins looks like the Wendy's girl......without the pig tails. - JT

Posts: 3441 | From: The Rice Fields | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
86BackInBlack
¯
Member # 5372

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86BackInBlack  Ford pictures for 86BackInBlack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cummins:

lemme guess, the small bus!

--------------------
http://i.imgur.com/go1nj.gif

solbrothers
¯
Member # 7524

quote:
Originally posted by 66backinblack:
quote:
Originally posted by cummins:

lemme guess, the small bus!
NO, he drives a normal bus and rides the short bus [Razz]

--------------------
2100+ posts, 15 useful

SheerSliver03
¯
Member # 6589

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SheerSliver03  Ford pictures for SheerSliver03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
drive down hill wherever you go.

--------------------
2003 Altima SE
1970 Mustang Coupe *Sold

solbrothers
¯
Member # 7524

yeah tahtmight help. waht about gears how tall are the tallest gears i can get. my brother's old 87 crownvic got great mileage on the freeway because it had really tall gears.. or was it because of the AOD tranny..

--------------------
2100+ posts, 15 useful

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have you done a full tune up to your engine? That will help you get better gas mileage for a while.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

solbrothers
¯
Member # 7524

quote:
Originally posted by 1968_Fastback:
Have you done a full tune up to your engine? That will help you get better gas mileage for a while.

well i did fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap rotor, oil change, and checked the airfilter (k&n). what else is there i can "tune up"?? rear diff oil??

--------------------
2100+ posts, 15 useful

SFvert
Drama kids have no place here
Member # 3965

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SFvert  Ford pictures for SFvert        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ALL HAIL TRAINER MATT:
quote:

well i did fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap rotor, oil change, and checked the airfilter (k&n). what else is there i can "tune up"?? rear diff oil??
DID u change the headlight fluid yet/? [patriot]

--------------------
R.I.P. 89 LX Sold the 90 Vert,
I bring the Amber Lamps!!!
[IMG]http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/5/53/Epicbeardmanwin.jpg[/IMG]

Posts: 3706 | From: the city by the bay | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
solbrothers
¯
Member # 7524

i'll get on that ASAP [Wink]

--------------------
2100+ posts, 15 useful

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like you did a good tune up. Is it an AOD or a manual? Changing the fluid in the AOD might help some too. Letting it breathe and exhuast better helps. MSD ignition will help.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

solbrothers
¯
Member # 7524

quote:
Sounds like you did a good tune up. Is it an AOD or a manual? Changing the fluid in the AOD might help some too. Letting it breathe and exhuast better helps. MSD ignition will help.

it is a manual. and it has a k&n filter and no pipes after the cats, oh and i have an Accel Capacitive discharge ignition on the car.

--------------------
2100+ posts, 15 useful

Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pure Stang  Ford pictures for Pure Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
msd ignition box, electric fan, UDP, 2.73's, if your ac does not work take that out as well, electric water pump...... oh swap it out to a 4cyl lol jk...

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt) you will be missed brother.
04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

solbrothers
¯
Member # 7524

quote:
Originally posted by Pure Stang:
msd ignition box, electric fan, UDP, 2.73's, if your ac does not work take that out as well, electric water pump...... oh swap it out to a 4cyl lol jk...

ok so can someone link me to summit on which exact parts like the electric fan and electric water pump because i don't know exactly what would be best for a fifty. and WTF is a UDP??

--------------------
2100+ posts, 15 useful

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

ok so can someone link me to summit on which exact parts like the electric fan and electric water pump because i don't know exactly what would be best for a fifty. and WTF is a UDP??
not to get too far offf topic but whats up with the "team powerline stole my car?" i see stickers on a lot of imports and bikes around here. u can shoot me a pm if u want.
Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
solbrothers
¯
Member # 7524

quote:
Originally posted by v-town coupe:
quote:
quote:

not to get too far offf topic but whats up with the "team powerline stole my car?" i see stickers on a lot of imports and bikes around here. u can shoot me a pm if u want.
you have PM

--------------------
2100+ posts, 15 useful

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com