Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Couple Surprises with the 68... (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Couple Surprises with the 68...
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -
Well worked on the 68 all day today. It was warmer. I did some more cleaning of the undercarriage and then we started tearing apart the interior. Took all the panels off in the rear, and also took the front windsheild out and the rear one. Front one had a couple holes in it on the passengerside so we threw that away but i guess the holes have been there for a while cause look at my dash [Frown]
 -
I knew the Dash was bad but i thought it was only the top metal piece that holds up the plastic part of the dash. We took that off and we found that hole underneath.

Also we couldn't get the rearseat to go forward and we finally got it to and look what we found behind it [Eek!]
 -

I guess i had a hint when i found some nuts under the rearseat.

During last week i also took the reartail lights out and the gas tank.
 -

[ February 19, 2006, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Cobra5.0Jeep ]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wow, you got quite a proj ahead of you.

Makes me happy I own a late model.

Keep us updated on the progress.

You are building my dream car

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
SmokeyBurnout
¯
Member # 5745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokeyBurnout  Ford pictures for SmokeyBurnout    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That sucks dude! You should stop all work on it and have me come tow it away to relieve some of your stress about it. [Big Grin]
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Oh by the way this is how its going to look when complete [Smile] Except its going to be a Dark Forest Green like my 95 and with black racing strips
 -

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[patriot] con number one of restoring an old car -RUST
Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
DOPE 50
¯
Member # 5892

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DOPE 50  Ford pictures for DOPE 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what is all that stuff gathered around that mouse? [Frown]

--------------------
94 COBRA CLONE CONVERTIBLE
67 SS CHEVY NOVA,CAGED UP,TUBBED,FUEL CELL,ETC..IN THE WORKS.[67SSNOV]
91 INTEGRA ON 17'S
94 Ranger Getting lifted

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by DOPE 50:
what is all that stuff gathered around that mouse? [Frown]

its home.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

FORDNUT
CAFords OG
Member # 2348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FORDNUT  Ford pictures for FORDNUT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You should get that thing striped......I had my fastback done here...www.americanstrippingsacramento.com

Its nice to have everything nice and clean they remove all body filler under coating so you start freash.

Posts: 650 | From: Elk Grove,CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by FORDNUT:
You should get that thing striped......I had my fastback done here...www.americanstrippingsacramento.com

Its nice to have everything nice and clean they remove all body filler under coating so you start freash.

I am actually doing all that stuff myself. As i clean it i am primering it.

What condition was your fastback in when you got it? what have you done to it so far? got any pics?

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Check it out. i just made this tonight

http://fiction420.tripod.com/68FastbackProject.html

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

SydeWayzSix
¯
Member # 2222

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWayzSix  Ford pictures for SydeWayzSix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra5.0Jeep:
Check it out. i just made this tonight

http://fiction420.tripod.com/68FastbackProject.html

pretty cool bro! I didnt know the undercarriage was that rusty looking...I hope you dont find anymore surprises. Well, at least bad ones [Big Grin]

--------------------
1989 Notchback "SF Giants" edition...
Goodbye '00 Kawi ZX-6R...you will be missed dearly.

....on with the show! :)

crazyhorse
¯
Member # 5662

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazyhorse  Ford pictures for crazyhorse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
did you take the gas tank out from the top?

--------------------
1965 Mustang coupe

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by crazyhorse:
did you take the gas tank out from the top?

Yeah through the trunk

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

crazyhorse
¯
Member # 5662

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazyhorse  Ford pictures for crazyhorse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
cool, gotta change mines soon. I cant afford a 67-68 fastback so i settled for a coupe  -
the paint is the highland green that was used on the classic bullitt stang

[ February 20, 2006, 03:49 AM: Message edited by: crazyhorse ]

--------------------
1965 Mustang coupe

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Thats tight. I like it [Smile]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Impact 5.0
¯
Member # 2805

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Impact 5.0  Ford pictures for Impact 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Oh by the way this is how its going to look when complete [Smile] Except its going to be a Dark Forest Green like my 95 and with black racing strips
 -

[worship]
Posts: 2173 | From: Tracy, CA | Registered: May 2003  |  :
crazyhorse
¯
Member # 5662

thanks, Im glad to see another member restore a classic stang. Youll appreciate your stang even more when you put the work in it yourself. Good Luck [Smile]

--------------------
1965 Mustang coupe

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
thanks, Im glad to see another member restore a classic stang. Youll appreciate your stang even more when you put the work in it yourself. Good Luck [Smile]

thanks man [Smile] What problems did you find when you were restoring yours?

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

crazyhorse
¯
Member # 5662

quote:
quote:

rust! when i sanded down the old paint I found weak parts in the metal that I had to weld/replace.Right now Im doing the rear suspension/gears, its a bitch taking off rusted bolts that've been there for 40 years

--------------------
1965 Mustang coupe

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
quote:
quote:

rust! when i sanded down the old paint I found weak parts in the metal that I had to weld/replace.Right now Im doing the rear suspension/gears, its a bitch taking off rusted bolts that've been there for 40 years
Yeah i know what you mean, most of the bolts i took off broke [Frown] I am finding small rust outs in the floorpan but i can weld them up. I will have to replace the dash and the driverside rear fender well area because its rusted pretty bad as well.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yay for critters that lived off a steady diet of insulation [Razz]
FORDNUT
CAFords OG
Member # 2348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FORDNUT  Ford pictures for FORDNUT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[/qb][/QUOTE]I am actually doing all that stuff myself. As i clean it i am primering it.

What condition was your fastback in when you got it? what have you done to it so far? got any pics? [/QB][/QUOTE]

If you just wire brushing and then primering over you could be doing more harm then good....You need to neutralize it...

how do you plan to strip the 10 layers of paint and body filler?
If you want to paint that thing a dark color and not have it wave at you,avoid heat that will cause panel warpage..

Im just trying help you do it right the frist time...goodluck!

I will get some pics of mine up tonight..

Posts: 650 | From: Elk Grove,CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Do you mean the undercarriage has 10 layers of paint? The body doesn't have 10 layers, atleast mine doesn't. I know someone else was trying to restore the car before me and thats who primered it but if i get sand paper and sand on the body i hit metal almost immediately.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Gnari-Garage
CAFords OG
Member # 3164

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gnari-Garage  Ford pictures for Gnari-Garage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wow thats tight, good luck and keep us updated and take PICTURES

--------------------
2017 McLaren 570GT
2019 Audi S5
2017 Tundra 7" Lift, 37" Tires

Posts: 4017 | From: 916-sacramento | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

FordNut,
Hey i was just eating breakfast and my dad tells me hes decided that we should have the entire car sandblasted so i guess we're going to get that done once we're done taking everything off. [Big Grin]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com