Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Thinking about pulling the trigger on a vet (Page 3)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Thinking about pulling the trigger on a vet
04 S281
¯
Member # 9229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04 S281  Ford pictures for 04 S281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/Search/DRauSearchDetails.aspx?itemid=577666

http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/Search/DRauSearchDetails.aspx?itemid=464385

http://www.steeda.com/news/steeda_news/2004_12_steeda_fleet_sale.php

http://www.mustangtraderonline.com/show.php?id=89481

http://www.motortopia.com/vehicles/view/p/cars/v/4820/i/callie

Posts: 1570 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Most Roush/GT500/Cobra's are slower, heavier, and cost nearly the same as a C5 Vette.

Get pulled over in a modded mustang you go to the ref. A vette with heads/cam with 450-500hp looks stock. What situation would you rather be in?

1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You wont have that many problems with the vette. On the other note the vette will be worthless in 10 years. Im just about tired of spending money on these cars but its gives me something to do at times. Nothing like a clean car at the car show either [Smile]

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

04 S281
¯
Member # 9229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04 S281  Ford pictures for 04 S281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 88DroptopGT:
Most Roush/GT500/Cobra's are slower, heavier, and cost nearly the same as a C5 Vette.

Get pulled over in a modded mustang you go to the ref. A vette with heads/cam with 450-500hp looks stock. What situation would you rather be in?

Roush has 400+hp models, the GT500 is 500hp, and Cobra's are 'conservatively" rated at 390...

the best C5 is the z06 at 405hp...

and a modded Mustang doesn't automatically mean long tubes... you can do an intake, cams, and port and pully the stock blower on an 03-04 Cobra and do 500rwhp... and not get "ref'd"

GOT 50
¯
Member # 1960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GOT 50  Ford pictures for GOT 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
04 S281

Thanks for the links.

I saw to vettes I really like. [patriot]

Posts: 2139 | From: SF/DALY CITY/MILLBRAE | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
t top freak
¯
Member # 6269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for t top freak  Ford pictures for t top freak  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what about an older corvette or mustang?

a built pro touring muscle car shits on everything. do you want just another new car or one that turns heads?

if it were me, id buy a 67 chevelle and drop a new z06 driveline in it and call it a day..

[burnout] [patriot]

--------------------
1994 cobra - sold!
1986 t top gt - parted out and sold!
on the hunt for another

Posts: 1023 | From: sacramento | Registered: Dec 2005  |  :
04 S281
¯
Member # 9229

quote:
Originally posted by GOT 50:
04 S281

Thanks for the links.

I saw to vettes I really like. [patriot]

No prob... jus tryin to help...

and please, please, PLEASE say one of the vettes you like is the 02 Lingenfelter Twin Turbo! That thing is tit's man... Super low mileage, cherry... thats one car i'd be jealous of!

GOT 50
¯
Member # 1960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GOT 50  Ford pictures for GOT 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[Wink]
Posts: 2139 | From: SF/DALY CITY/MILLBRAE | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Nastysvt
¯
Member # 6431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nastysvt  Ford pictures for Nastysvt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
but like he said, he can make some good power with jus a heads cam setup without worrying about breaking anything..I own a cobra but I have to admit, the Z06s are a good all around car..That 750 hp is gonna be pretty bad ass though [patriot]
Posts: 2575 | From: Valley to the Bay | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
People. Cars are not investments, they are toys. Get that through your tiny brains. You have no clue which cars will be collector's items. Most iterations of the S197 mustang weigh close to 2 tons! The Z06 weighs nearly 1000lbs less. It's a better car, get over it.
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SF Coupe:
People. Cars are not investments, they are toys. Get that through your tiny brains. You have no clue which cars will be collector's items. Most iterations of the S197 mustang weigh close to 2 tons! The Z06 weighs nearly 1000lbs less. It's a better car, get over it.

Lol...love the passion
[dance]

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

04 S281
¯
Member # 9229

quote:
Originally posted by SF Coupe:

Actually, cars CAN be investments, and alot of people (aparantly not you) make MILLIONS of dollors a year in the collector car biz... if the fact tht the Z06 will be worthless in the future hit a nerve, i apologize... but recend trends already show the Z06 dropping in Value over 50% in 5 years time... where as cars like Roush and Saleen, limited production models, have barely dropped 25% in the same time (if the car is a low mileage, unmolested example)

I agree that a car should be purchased to be enjoyed, not put in a bubble to simple collect value over the years (unless we're talking SUPER rare, like a real Shelby Cobra or something) BUT, i believe that one should invest in a toy that ALSO has potential of being valueable some day. If one has the money to aquire such a car, I dont see the reasoning in settling for less. The z06 is a great car, but why get it if you can afford a Lingenfelter Vette or Hennessy Viper that will WAX the Z06 in performance AND exclusivity?

Just my 2 cents...

SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
25% loss sounds like a poor investment to me. If you buy a car to enjoy it it's going to be a net loss. As soon as you start driving one of these special edition cars the value drops. I just think it's a stupid argument to say "don't buy a vette because it will lose value". So what? Buy it, beat it, sell it and then buy whatever car you're into at that point in your life.
RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*  Ford pictures for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
anyone that says fuck a vett is upset because they cant afford it.

if your looking for a NICE car, and the most bang for the buck. a Z06 cant be beat.....in any catagory. handling, braking, all of it. rule of thumb, it takes 100 mor rw in a stang to keep up with a vett.

if you can afford it. go for it. youll be happier in the end.

--------------------
02 Z06-11.0 @ 132 1.9 60'
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _
Sold:05 CTS-V-13.1@114
Sold:01 Cobra Vert-12.0@119

xvt's 85 5.0
¯
Member # 4765

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for xvt's 85 5.0  Ford pictures for xvt's 85 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by RED@7kVERT *8850GT*:
anyone that says fuck a vett is upset because they cant afford it.

if your looking for a NICE car, and the most bang for the buck. a Z06 cant be beat.....in any catagory. handling, braking, all of it. rule of thumb, it takes 100 mor rw in a stang to keep up with a vett.

if you can afford it. go for it. youll be happier in the end.

+1 and not only takes more power but a hole lot of suspension upgrades to even come close to the handling of the vette.

[ June 25, 2009, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: xvt's 85 5.0 ]

--------------------
CBR 600RR
CBR 600 F4

04 S281
¯
Member # 9229

I mean, everyone has their own opinion. what bothers me is the fact you're attacking a lifestyle you seem know nothing about. The amount of money i spent aquiring my Saleen could have easily bought me a c5 z06 and a fox 5.0... the reason i went with the Saleen is, I prefer more exclusivity in what i drive. I wouldn't like going out for a drive in my z06, lets say, to the mall, and seeing 10 to 15 other z06's in the parking lot. When i roll out, i can almost guarantee i'm the only Saleen around... at least the only REAL one. especially in my color scheme considering they only produced 2...

Some people with money lack taste, and buy whatever the current "it" car is... the past few years, it's been the z06. I prefere to pick a car based on overall experience. the look, performance, exclusivness, history, future, value, prestige...

Would I buy a vette? yes... a Callaway or Lingenfelter. Would I buy a Z06? Maybe, if I already have some thing else in the garage like a Hennessy Viper or Saleen Extreme so I can daily drive the Z06.

Really it comes down to lifestyle choice. If you're happy with your opinion that the Z06 is the best car for you, then go for it. But all I have offered the OP is my opinion based on personal experience. If you disagree, that's fine, but dont assume your position is the ONLY position that can be correct. I dis the Z06, not because i can't afford one, but because I can, and i don't want it... alot of times the people who CAN'T afford the Z06 become it's biggest supporters, because it's their dream car... I dream bigger.

I believe overall, it's up to OP to decide what car is right for him, his lifestyle, and financial situation. I just don't want to see anyone throw away money on a car because it's whats popular this year. If it is truely what you desire, that's different, but if a fast car of any make is in the cards, then I simply say "look at your options"

04 S281
¯
Member # 9229

quote:
Originally posted by RED@7kVERT *8850GT*:
if your looking for a NICE car, and the most bang for the buck. a Z06 cant be beat.....in any catagory. handling, braking, all of it.

Have you SEEN a Lingenfelter Vette, Hennessy Viper, or Callaway Vette in person?! they're like smog legal, 800+hp show cars... That run circles around the Z06... and you can get them for the same price as a Z06 currently. Best bang for the buck?
RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*  Ford pictures for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yes.

best bang for the buck. i dream bigger as well...

next car will be a viper.

be in denial all you want. for the money, vett's offer far more value than a mustang, any mustang. i can understand your passion for the more exclusive stuff, but thats for old people. at this point in MY life i want the most for my dollar. and right now. that would be a C5 Z06....

--------------------
02 Z06-11.0 @ 132 1.9 60'
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _
Sold:05 CTS-V-13.1@114
Sold:01 Cobra Vert-12.0@119

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6122775565657571122

Nuff said.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
04 S281
¯
Member # 9229

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6fbxjUU_Yg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BUk3F4GPsU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmBxO1C5otE

and priced to own for a limited time only! Hahaha... check my above links...

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There are pure bolt on cars going deep 10s so............

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Another part about a Vette is insurance. I was just quoted by AAA that C5 Z06 Corvette is $20-50/month cheaper than a 03-04 Cobra to insure full coverage.

The variables were:
Frequency of theft
Classification of a "high-exposure vehicle"
Weekend vehicle

Everyone knows how easy mustangs are to steal.. [Embarrassed]

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 88DroptopGT:
Another part about a Vette is insurance. I was just quoted by AAA that C5 Z06 Corvette is $20-50/month cheaper than a 03-04 Cobra to insure full coverage.

The variables were:
Frequency of theft
Classification of a "high-exposure vehicle"
Weekend vehicle

Everyone knows how easy mustangs are to steal.. [Embarrassed]

That comparison can vary simply by a driver, their record, and coverages per vehicle. I was in the market for a 02-03 Z06 early last year (yes, I know...how could I?) and found them to be equal for the same coverages through my provider.

After test-driving about a half-dozen of them, I found they ride like sh!t compared to a 03-04 Cobra, even a lowered one. Couple this with the fact you can forget comfort if you're over 6'...no thanks.

A 03-04 Cobra is no easier to steal than a Vette...same key technology, similar PATS systems...only difference is the Vette owner has better line-of-sight of the vehicle while sitting on the patio at Starbucks sippin' a latte wearin' their french beret.

Seriously, both cars have equal aftermarket parts available, both have numerous tuning platforms...but when all is said and done, a 03-04 Cobra would be my choice.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
5LiterSpeeder
¯
Member # 8234

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5LiterSpeeder  Ford pictures for 5LiterSpeeder    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Vette's are the enemies. I build my car to race and beat vettes period. I also LOVE the looks on the faces of the snobby vette owners who actually decide to punch it and get passed by my budget fox. [Eek!] [patriot] [burnout]

--------------------
93'Ex 4cyl Notch TFS H/C/I 3.55s 4 wheel Cobra brakes, V2-SQ, 14 psi
RIP BRANDON, SILVERLX-

Posts: 561 | From: Healdsburg | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

I admit on a Ford board a Vette thread won't get a lot of fans.

To each their own Terminators and Vettes are both great cars! [patriot]

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com