Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » My 1st mod on the Fox!!! (Page 3)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: My 1st mod on the Fox!!!
STREETFIGHTER50
¯
Member # 2973

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for STREETFIGHTER50  Ford pictures for STREETFIGHTER50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
damn under 3000 lbs! imagine how much with the k member, a-arms, & coil overs. go with the aje dustin. just my .02 [Big Grin]

--------------------
'89 Coupe-Kurgan Tuned 498/491RW, Vortech SI, 351W

Posts: 3925 | From: SF Bay Coastin' to Rocklin | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by EPIK:
quote:
Originally posted by 8stang8:
quote:
quote:
Dam 2nd gear already [Mad] was it used??? How long since you finshed puttin it together??? I gotta give it to you, you didnt keep it stock for long lol...

Tranny was used as well as the complete setup. It sucks though because the tranny only has about 5k miles on it & its the Tremec T5 from Summit. I drove the car that the motor/trans was in before I bought the setup, & didnt notice any grind at all, but i didnt bang gears, just wanted to see if it had power & if all the gears worked fine. It shifts fine in normal driving but if you shift hard at high rpms, it grinds between 1st & 2nd gear.... Maybe its a clutch adjustment problem, but i doubt it???

My buddy & I started the swap at the beginning of August & finished around the 1st of this month....

I planned on just doing a 5 speed swap & waiting a year or so for HCI, but this deal came up so i hopped on it....

Yeah if its adjust pretty firm and still grinds i guess ya ota eventually start lookin for sum besides another t5 as you say your not done with adding pwr yet, cause it sucks to do shit twice.
All the attention goes to your fox now lol [Razz] w/ more to come ha...

Im gonna have a buddy put a new 2nd gear syncro in it 4 me & run it until it breaks....

The Mach will be done after I get 4.10's in it...i still need to take that to the track too....Im hoping for mid 12's in the Mach....

Dustin...if it is grinding from 1st to 2nd and not 2nd to 3rd it is more than likely not a syncro problem.

It could be a simple clutch adjustment issue or the stops on your short shifter....

most people forget the adjustment for the cljutch on the fork..

for the shifter, just try adjusting the rear stop back a little further....

I would try the simple stuff before taking the trans out and working on it....

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by jordan_0806:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Dam 2nd gear already [Mad] was it used??? How long since you finshed puttin it together??? I gotta give it to you, you didnt keep it stock for long lol...

Tranny was used as well as the complete setup. It sucks though because the tranny only has about 5k miles on it & its the Tremec T5 from Summit. I drove the car that the motor/trans was in before I bought the setup, & didnt notice any grind at all, but i didnt bang gears, just wanted to see if it had power & if all the gears worked fine. It shifts fine in normal driving but if you shift hard at high rpms, it grinds between 1st & 2nd gear.... Maybe its a clutch adjustment problem, but i doubt it???

My buddy & I started the swap at the beginning of August & finished around the 1st of this month....

I planned on just doing a 5 speed swap & waiting a year or so for HCI, but this deal came up so i hopped on it....

Yeah if its adjust pretty firm and still grinds i guess ya ota eventually start lookin for sum besides another t5 as you say your not done with adding pwr yet, cause it sucks to do shit twice.
All the attention goes to your fox now lol [Razz] w/ more to come ha...

Im gonna have a buddy put a new 2nd gear syncro in it 4 me & run it until it breaks....

The Mach will be done after I get 4.10's in it...i still need to take that to the track too....Im hoping for mid 12's in the Mach....

Dustin...if it is grinding from 1st to 2nd and not 2nd to 3rd it is more than likely not a syncro problem.

It could be a simple clutch adjustment issue or the stops on your short shifter....

I do have a firewall adjuster, but not an adjustable cable. As far as the shifter stops are concerened, I left them out. i hope its something that simple.....It is only 1st to 2nd that grinds & sometimes when I go to downshift to 2nd from 3rd to slow down, it pops out of gear???
[Confused]

[ September 15, 2008, 03:22 AM: Message edited by: EPIK ]

--------------------
=91 Notch:12.31@110 **Under Construction**
=05 CTS-V: 418rwhp/393rwtq=13.01@111

http://www.djepikmusic.com

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by STREETFIGHTER50:
damn under 3000 lbs! imagine how much with the k member, a-arms, & coil overs. go with the aje dustin. just my .02 [Big Grin]

Thanks Nick, i was thinking about AJE too, or maybe PA racing???

--------------------

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 8stang8:
[qb] [QUOTE]Originally posted by EPIK:
[qb] [QUOTE]Originally posted by 8stang8:
[qb] Dam 2nd gear already [Mad]

I do have a firewall adjuster, but not an adjustable cable. As far as the shifter stops are concerened, I left them out. i hope its something that simple.....It is only 1st to 2nd that grinds & sometimes when I go to downshift to 2nd to slow down, it pops out of gear???
[Confused]

put the stops back in...the reason they are there is to prevent you from damaging the transmission anyways.

but all clutch cables are adjustable at the clutch fork....

there are 2 - 1/2" nuts on the cable that goes through the clutch fork....one is for adjustment, the other is to lock it in place....adjust those out a little and see if it makes a difference....you want to put them so the clutch engages earlier....

buuut, having it pop out of 2nd while driving would worry me too....

try adjustments at first to see....

[ September 15, 2008, 03:26 AM: Message edited by: jordan_0806 ]

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I do have a firewall adjuster, but not an adjustable cable. As far as the shifter stops are concerened, I left them out. i hope its something that simple.....It is only 1st to 2nd that grinds & sometimes when I go to downshift to 2nd to slow down, it pops out of gear???
[Confused]

put the stops back in...the reason they are there is to prevent you from damaging the transmission anyways.

there are 2 - 1/2" nuts on the cable that goes through the clutch fork....one is for adjustment, the other is to lock it in place....adjust those out a little and see if it makes a difference....you want to put them so the clutch engages earlier....

Thanks J, i will look into that & put the stops back in....

--------------------

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

[Confused]

Thanks J, i will look into that & put the stops back in....
cool...

The stops take the brunt of your gear slamming (especially for those of us that powershift) and keeps you from over-extending and bending the shifting forks inside the transmission. bent forks are a common cause for the shifter popping out of gear....

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

J24I
¯
Member # 2598

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for J24I  Ford pictures for J24I    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
damn EPIK, pretty quick to mod the thing. You've done more to your coupe in a few weeks then I've done in over 4yrs of owning my coupe...cars looking good man [patriot]

--------------------
*'87 Coupe
'89 Coupe-SOLD

Posts: 2131 | From: Bay Area(925) | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by J24I:
damn EPIK, pretty quick to mod the thing. You've done more to your coupe in a few weeks then I've done in over 4yrs of owning my coupe...cars looking good man [patriot]

Thanks bro, what can I say, I had to do it when I had the chance....

--------------------

Fox Lightning
¯
Member # 7658

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fox Lightning  Ford pictures for Fox Lightning    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[Eek!] [worship] dustin nice 1st mod.
go with aje dustin.
373 5 lug swap [burnout] [burnout] [burnout]

--------------------
K7 Gsxr 750 (stock) 10.89 @ 137
68 Coupe N/A (stock) 302 t5 9" 12.2 ON 315-18" DR's (under construction)

Raider A's Warriors

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

[Confused]

adjustable clutch cables are garbage, and stock clutch cables are not adjustable at the fork.

with a firewall adjuster and a stock cable (best setup, IMO) the only adjustment is to be made at the firewall.

it's tricky to get it right.

where in the pedal travel does the clutch start to grab, Epik?

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
*BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R
¯
Member # 5400

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R  Ford pictures for *BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yes the stock cables are not adjustable..sorry dustin but a tranny is in order..but i have a friend that does complete trans rebuilds for cheap..hit me up if u want the number..i will help u out bro..

--------------------
88 notch- MM&FF June 2014 feature car
93 cobra #1879
90 hatch "Wifey's"
14 F150
89 mastercraft- wake tower with some sound

Team True Forged!!!

RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*  Ford pictures for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you just have to buy the right kit!

the steeda kit uses a modified OEM cable. so you have that OEM quality.

-you get a rough setting with the fork, than go to the firewall to fine tune it.

--------------------
02 Z06-11.0 @ 132 1.9 60'
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _
Sold:05 CTS-V-13.1@114
Sold:01 Cobra Vert-12.0@119

*BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R
¯
Member # 5400

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R  Ford pictures for *BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
true,true..thats why i have both a firewall and adjustable cable at the fork!!!! what we were trying to explain is the stock cables are not adjustable at the fork but he has the firewall so he can adjust it there so that is not his problem and dustin..to adjust the stops on the shifter..put them back in and do the lower from 2nd and upper from 3rd..put the stops right at the gear as u put pressure on it so the stops stop the shifter from going to far and breaking!!i will do it for u if needed!!!

--------------------
88 notch- MM&FF June 2014 feature car
93 cobra #1879
90 hatch "Wifey's"
14 F150
89 mastercraft- wake tower with some sound

Team True Forged!!!

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

quote:
Originally posted by BlownMach1:
true,true..thats why i have both a firewall and adjustable cable at the fork!!!! what we were trying to explain is the stock cables are not adjustable at the fork but he has the firewall so he can adjust it there so that is not his problem and dustin..to adjust the stops on the shifter..put them back in and do the lower from 2nd and upper from 3rd..put the stops right at the gear as u put pressure on it so the stops stop the shifter from going to far and breaking!!i will do it for u if needed!!!

for some reason, I kept picturing him having an adjustable cable....oh well....

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

gtowned
¯
Member # 8156

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gtowned  Ford pictures for gtowned    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how many people thought it was gonna be suspension and wheels [Big Grin]

--------------------
Taking terminators off the road one at a time...

Posts: 1106 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jan 2008  |  :
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

[Confused]

adjustable clutch cables are garbage, and stock clutch cables are not adjustable at the fork.

with a firewall adjuster and a stock cable (best setup, IMO) the only adjustment is to be made at the firewall.

I never user garbage adjustable cables, OEM cables FTW!!!

I am running a stock 95 GT cable, Maximum Motorsports quadrant & firewall adjuster.

The clutch pedal grabs in about the middle of the travel I think. Feels normal to me....

The car has a centerforce Dual friction clutch & it feels much stiffer than the centerforce in my Mach. Streak Matt says the centerforce in his fox has a much softer pedal, but i have never driven his fox, nor any other fox with a centerforce.

I do remember that the pedal in my 95 felt pretty stiff with the stock clutch, & the king Cobra I replaced it with when I compare it to the Mach....

I personally think it is just the 2nd gear syncro most likely, & dont trip guys, I will hire BL Motorsports (secret south sac shop) to fix it LOL!!! As far as the stops go, I will be putting them back in soon....

I know everyone thought it was gonna be suspension & wheels, that will be coming up soon. You know my style!!!!

MM FTW!!!!

[ September 20, 2008, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: EPIK ]

--------------------

MachYou
¯
Member # 7934

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MachYou  Ford pictures for MachYou    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jaejae:
how much power u think you have now?

Most likely 300ish to the wheels I HOPE???

No PTV clearance issues since it only has an E cam & 1.6 rockers on the exhaust side...

Luke, I will eventually get a K member, but Im not sure If i will run an MM k member this time around because i want more weight savings. As far as coilovers go, i will only use MM coilovers though since they are the best quality....

Gotta say go UPR when u get to that piont [worship] [patriot] . Did you wieght it at the track yesterday???? Where about are thier scales located @ carajo said by the booth... where by??? [Confused]
UPR is garbage....they just sell cheap chinese knock off of american made products...75% of those cars they sponsor dont have any UPR suspension on them...

--------------------
All Bullshit Stops When the Hands Drop

Posts: 726 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Epik, a stock cable with your choice of aluminum quadrant and firewall adjuster is the way to go.

Make sure you replace your clutch fork ball at the same time and steel retainer, which both have a pretty significant effect on clutch pedal smoothness.

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:
Epik, a stock cable with your choice of aluminum quadrant and firewall adjuster is the way to go.

Make sure you replace your clutch fork ball at the same time and steel retainer, which both have a pretty significant effect on clutch pedal smoothness.

Thanks Luke...I will most likely replace those parts also....

--------------------

adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

[Confused]

I never user garbage adjustable cables, OEM cables FTW!!!

I am running a stock 95 GT cable, Maximum Motorsports quadrant & firewall adjuster.

The clutch pedal grabs in about the middle of the travel I think. Feels normal to me....

The car has a centerforce Dual friction clutch & it feels much stiffer than the centerforce in my Mach. Streak Matt says the centerforce in his fox has a much softer pedal, but i have never driven his fox, nor any other fox with a centerforce.

I do remember that the pedal in my 95 felt pretty stiff with the stock clutch, & the king Cobra I replaced it with when I compare it to the Mach....

I personally think it is just the 2nd gear syncro most likely, & dont trip guys, I will hire BL Motorsports (secret south sac shop) to fix it LOL!!! As far as the stops go, I will be putting them back in soon....

I know everyone thought it was gonna be suspension & wheels, that will be coming up soon. You know my style!!!!

MM FTW!!!!

I have a steeda quadrant and FWA with my adjustable cable. My centerforce pedal feel is just a little bit tougher than stock. The adjustable cable has given me no problems at all. [burnout]

Did you double check to make sure your running the clutch cable correctly?

[ September 20, 2008, 02:43 AM: Message edited by: adower ]

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com