Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » What was your biggest car buying mistake? (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What was your biggest car buying mistake?
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i've never had a bad buying car experience since I've only owned 4 cars total. Worst selling is my 93 cobra so I could buy my first home. I still think about that car to this day.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by adower:
i've never had a bad buying car experience since I've only owned 4 cars total. Worst selling is my 93 cobra so I could buy my first home. I still think about that car to this day.

Was it the red one to Stangs R Us?

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 135.0:
quote:

Yup, it had the vortech and bbs's on it. Did you buy it?

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I bought a lowered F350 dually (2005). That wasn't the mistake...the 6.0 that was in it was a total POS.

And it had whopping 50k miles on it. Pushed more head gaskets than I could count. I don't wish the motor on my ex wife. And I really dislike her.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

He took off the vortech and bbs rims, but it was clean. Black interior. Someone beat me to it so I bought a Saleen instead. Still have that too

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

POWERED BY FORD
¯
Member # 9204

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for POWERED BY FORD  Ford pictures for POWERED BY FORD    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

He took off the vortech and bbs rims, but it was clean. Black interior. Someone beat me to it so I bought a Saleen instead. Still have that too
Damn what ever happened to stangs r us ?
kast1376
¯
Member # 8499

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kast1376  Ford pictures for kast1376    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Buying the s/c for my car four years ago, and still haven't put it on. At this point the motor can't take it, and I don't have the ability/knowledge to build a motor, and I don't have the money to have it done. Feels like I pissed the money into the wind.
Posts: 189 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jul 2008  |  :
Robb
¯
Member # 9444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robb  Ford pictures for Robb    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Since i started commuting 80-100 miles a day, I thought it would be a bright idea to finance a Nissan Sentra. God damn is this car one lifeless turd. I wish i would have bought something more fun to drive. I could have financed a nice 2005-09 Mustang GT or a nice 350z for the price i'm paying for it.

[ 2015-01-17, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: Robb ]

Posts: 2467 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  :
KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARATExxCHUCK  Ford pictures for KARATExxCHUCK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hurting your feelings:
Buy a luxury car with out a factory warranty is like marrying a hooker with a std.

Hahahahahahaha!!!!!

--------------------
**Sometimes you must kill the snake to walk the path!!
**Message me for Powder Coating and Sand blasting!!!:)

H8RPWRD
¯
Member # 12588

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for H8RPWRD  Ford pictures for H8RPWRD    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by kast1376:
Buying the s/c for my car four years ago, and still haven't put it on. At this point the motor can't take it, and I don't have the ability/knowledge to build a motor, and I don't have the money to have it done. Feels like I pissed the money into the wind.

Turbo50 can help you

--------------------
89 Lx Vert
93 LX Notch- sold
01 Bullitt #00919- Sold
90 LX- Sold
89 LX Vert- Sold
89 LX (DarkHorse)-Sold

SVTGhoust
¯
Member # 20

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SVTGhoust  Ford pictures for SVTGhoust    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
C6 Z06. Very poor quality for a vehicle all around. Turned me off of Chevy forever.

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500 / 2020 Shelby GT500

Posts: 962 | From: Brentwood, CA 94513 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  :
PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1NastyBullitt:
Trading my first Fox away

Sold mine, huge regret. Practically rebuilt the entire foundation of the car, just needed a motor. It's probably been wrecked or parted out.

Haven't made any car buying mistakes, but I hate that I passed on buying Purple Notch when it was in it's prime. Such a shame what's happened to that car...

[ 2015-01-18, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: PeNiNsula302 ]

Black 02 SS
¯
Member # 5939

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black 02 SS  Ford pictures for Black 02 SS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SVTGhoust:
C6 Z06. Very poor quality for a vehicle all around. Turned me off of Chevy forever.

In what ways? Do you mean the fisher price interior, or what exactly? Most GM fans understand the territory you get as far as interior quality goes, but the motors are obviously what draws us in. The C6Z is very capable performance wise for the price.

Car buying mistake...hmm. I've owned 18 total (including 2 motorcylces) and I can't say any were a total mistake. I had a 1995 Z28 that was a total POS but I knew it before I bought it and only paid $1500 for it and sold it for pretty much the same amount. I had an E30 I drove for six months during which time I put over 15k miles on it literally driving the ever living life out of it every. damn. day until I finally blew a hole through the side of the block after it kept overheating (even after dealing with the cooling system). I sold it for $500 than I paid for it six months earlier, even with a blown engine.

I do regret selling my 2002 SS since it was my dream car. I wish I still had it today but I swear it was cursed. I was rear ended twice, had one incident that was my fault, a few tickets, and even cited for one reckless which was later thrown out.

--------------------
Schwinn 18speed

89TRUNK
¯
Member # 2506

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89TRUNK  Ford pictures for 89TRUNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

What issues turned you off. My 08 c6z is all I can ask for besides the interior. Accelerates, slows and handles great.
92_5.0
¯
Member # 7624

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92_5.0  Ford pictures for 92_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have always been a huge fan of full size k5 Blazers and have owned a few over the years..When I was 21 I found my first 77' k5 on craigslist for $650, my dad and I drove from fremont to oakley on a shitty rainy day. Got there, saw the truck, it was red with a black top and a 4" lift. I wanted it. Then the guy was starting to sound hesitant on selling it to me when he realized I was a kid..anyway I drove it home ( barely made it ) had a bad vibration at 50 mph, brakes locked up easily, tranny started slipping (th350) then realized the body was full of cancer in more places than usual, the 4wd didn't work and it kept snapping u-joints over 50 mph, but it did pass smog with a tune up and seafoam lol..So I ended up selling it to my sisters bf, then he sold it about a month later..Happy ending though because we both made our money back haha.

--------------------
Infineon/Sears point? same difference!
11.8 @ 115 mph @ Sac Raceway
411 rwhp 402 trq (old set up)
540 rwhp 517 rwtrq (new set up)
ET's to come

cemelevu
¯
Member # 10601

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cemelevu  Ford pictures for cemelevu    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My current truck. 1997 Gmc Sierra ext cab Z-71. Has 126,000 miles, had to replace the shitty designed injectors, intake manifold gasket, the window switches are garbage, power steering pump leaks. Clear coat peeling off it. Will never buy a Gm product again.
Gnari-Garage
CAFords OG
Member # 3164

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gnari-Garage  Ford pictures for Gnari-Garage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
in 2003 I bought a Ford Expedition, it was a pile of JUNK!!

--------------------
2017 McLaren 570GT
2019 Audi S5
2017 Tundra 7" Lift, 37" Tires

Posts: 4017 | From: 916-sacramento | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My 2005 GT. Car was great but interest rate through the finance company provided by the dealer f**ked me for 6 years. Plus the psycho EX had the car and then bad joojoo from there. Sold the curse. However the car wasn't a lemon it was just the high amounts of interest I paid and the chick and the time. I see it as the biggest mistake I made in my life at that time. Oh well you live and learn.

My 2003 Cobra was bad too. The car wasn't maintained and treated well from the previous owner and as I had the car I discovered little things were broken and missing that wasn't cisible on the surface (behind dash ect) however the 03/04 cobra is still the best car ever made IMO. I wish mine was in better shape when I had it but I sold that too.

[ 2015-01-23, 03:42 AM: Message edited by: Autumnstang97 ]

--------------------
1997 Autumn Orange GT vert
1996 Mystic Cobra
2005 95ci Harley Road King
2011 F150 Raptor

Posts: 2139 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
diablounicorn
¯
Member # 13033

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for diablounicorn  Ford pictures for diablounicorn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my biggest regret was rushing to buy my first fox mustang. 91 GT for 3500, the guy busted the shocks at a pot hole on his way to my house, the car was so low i thought i needed new springs well it was the shocks. then 3 days after buying i found out i had a broken frame the whole time. i was 19 was my grandma gift to me for graduating high school and i got fucked over, i would beat that dude ass if i saw him today. now i know i tell my cousins not to buy a 5.0 in the Bay without really checking it out.
a302juGRnot
¯
Member # 10163

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a302juGRnot  Ford pictures for a302juGRnot    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a similar experience with my old 2000 540i e39. i have to say it was one of my favorite cars ive ever owned but maintenance on them are crazy. same goes for most bmw's but when they are kept up, they are extremely smooth, powerful, and luxuries rides.

--------------------
H/C/I slammed and flushed NOTCHback

H/C/I 1995 mustang gt sold

Posts: 1646 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
FriscoNotch
¯
Member # 5916

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FriscoNotch  Ford pictures for FriscoNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by diablounicorn:
my biggest regret was rushing to buy my first fox mustang. 91 GT for 3500, the guy busted the shocks at a pot hole on his way to my house, the car was so low i thought i needed new springs well it was the shocks. then 3 days after buying i found out i had a broken frame the whole time. i was 19 was my grandma gift to me for graduating high school and i got fucked over, i would beat that dude ass if i saw him today. now i know i tell my cousins not to buy a 5.0 in the Bay without really checking it out.

--------------------
'93 SSP 5.0 Police Coupe
'83 GLX 5.0 Coupe
'79 Ghia Coupe

FriscoNotch
¯
Member # 5916

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FriscoNotch  Ford pictures for FriscoNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by diablounicorn:

Wow that really sucks. How the hell did he break the frame?!

--------------------
'93 SSP 5.0 Police Coupe
'83 GLX 5.0 Coupe
'79 Ghia Coupe

CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Buying a used viper with 6K "freeway miles on it". It turned out it had 6K miles of extensive track time on it (previous owner must of stored the stock wheels/tires away while road racing the car). Water pump blew and noticeable knock in motor came up after 2 months of owning the car (bitch to get it back to S.Cal to get my money back).

Buying a 911 for the wife and letting her think it is "her car". Now it really is "HER CAR" and I can barely get to drive it unless I am getting her gas (which takes at least a hour btw [Wink] ).

[ 2015-01-28, 12:58 AM: Message edited by: CobramanPhil ]

Posts: 1016 | From: California, Bay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CobramanPhil:
Buying a used viper with 6K "freeway miles on it". It turned out it had 6K miles of extensive track time on it (previous owner must of stored the stock wheels/tires away while road racing the car). Water pump blew and noticeable knock in motor came up after 2 months of owning the car (bitch to get it back to S.Cal to get my money back).

Buying a 911 for the wife and letting her think it is "her car". Now it really is "HER CAR" and I can barely get to drive it unless I am getting her gas (which takes at least a hour btw [Wink] ).

Plus it was a Dodge, that was the real problem [Wink]
I'm sure the owner didn't want to give your money back. How long (and money in legal fees) did it take to get this straight?

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

SVTGhoust
¯
Member # 20

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SVTGhoust  Ford pictures for SVTGhoust    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 89TRUNK:
quote:

What issues turned you off. My 08 c6z is all I can ask for besides the interior. Accelerates, slows and handles great.
Let's see:

1. Key fob transponder died at 24k miles ($800 dealer fix)
2. Valve drop issue on LS7 motor. (I had to coin up out of my pocket to fix an obvious chevy mistake)
3. Creaks and rattles all over the place
4. Interior is pure econobox. I felt like I was driving my beater car.
5. Even after H/C/I & longtubes, I felt that the car was slow. It only made 560rwhp. (I may be spoiled by my previous 680whp Viper)
6. Clutch was very tempermental. It made my aggressive driving experience very poor.
7. The seats were straight shit. I have never driven a sports car with such horrible seats.

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500 / 2020 Shelby GT500

Posts: 962 | From: Brentwood, CA 94513 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  :

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com