Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Why my car fail smog? (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why my car fail smog?
SLOWFOX
¯
Member # 11067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWFOX  Ford pictures for SLOWFOX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 06ragtopgt_SOS:
I'm not sure exactly how its set up on your particular car. But land rover (what I work on) uses a DMTL (diagnostic module- tank leakage) pump to check for evaporative emission leaks. A fine leak is .5 to 1 mm. Anything over 1mm is a gross leak. It checks these by measuring the current it takes to push air through sample orifices built into the pump and then comparing it to how much output there is in the rest of the system. Start with the obvious, like a gas cap as mentioned above. But if that doesn't do it you might have the system smoke checked. They plug a smoke producing machine into a test port and smoke will leak wherever your issue is at. For example, a common one for us is stuck open purge valves, and often the DMTL pump itself is just shot. Hope this provides a little insight into what you're up against.

Ok yeah makes sense ama do the gas cap trick first reset the ecu drive it and cross my fingers lol.

--------------------
" A Wolf under sheep's clothing"-svoRICK 2/10/12
Almost everything I asked for.

SneakyStang87
¯
Member # 10724

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SneakyStang87  Ford pictures for SneakyStang87    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
on the smog report it printed out two codes that where u could have the check engine set up to look like it is off but the smog machince pulls the codes off the computer and it doesnt pull the pending codes so something is wrong with the car.

--------------------
00 z28-dd
79 Coupe-Project Almost done
93 Drop Top-Got Jacked
87 lx-crashed
89 gt-sold
90 lx supercharged-sold

Posts: 272 | From: 925 to 916 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
MauriSSio
¯
Member # 9943

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MauriSSio  Ford pictures for MauriSSio    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you said SERVICE engine light turns on at start up. that could be different than CHECK engine light. take a pic with the check engine light on at startup

[ December 08, 2012, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: MauriSSio ]

CAStang
¯
Member # 9568

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CAStang  Ford pictures for CAStang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I failed for having pending codes in the past. These wont trigger the check engine light, but you'll still fail smog.
Posts: 351 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Nov 2009  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it could of been stored in her memory codes. clear them and take it back in a week like the guy said.
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
air injection is not cleaning the maf or buying a new filter. is the air pump or what ever your car uses to pump air in the exausut to help clean up the smog. it passed? gd. lol now take it back like the nice guy said.

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com